• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: What Camp Axe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you ever get the chance have a look at a Gransfors or Wetterlings then compare it to the Gerber. What you will see is the leading edge is so much thinner (less than 1/2 thickness) giving the axe deep cutting/bite ability with minimal effort yet the edge stays razor sharp for hundreds of time longer than the Gerber. FWIW expect the Gerber to go dull on your first tree...they are that soft.
Swinging both axes into hardwood for minutes makes anyone a believer...Worth all the money and then some. </div></div>

I checked out the Gransfors and they are without doubt great looking tools with rave reviews. If I were planning on cutting wood more than 3 times a year, I would seriously consider buying one.

Re: What Camp Axe

thats a nice hatchet; the paracord could come in handy too in a survival situation

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Omnivore Bladeworks recon scout tomahawk. Best sharp edged item I ever took backpacking. Here's a couple of pics for ya:

hawk with sheath:
DSC_7301.JPG

sheath retention system:
DSC_7303.JPG

DSC_7304.JPG

Out of the sheath:
DSC_7305.JPG

using the top edge to shape a spearpoint for a shelter leg:
DSC_7309.JPG

3" of hardwood in two hits:
DSC_7310.JPG

--Wintermute </div></div>
I like the looks of this one, the para cord handle and looks like it eats right through vine maple
smile.gif
</div></div>

Have had one for decades brought it for canoe camping https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-felling-axe/ The ax is used to splitting wood and, in our experience, is very effective. We also bring a wedge. For logs of large diameter, the ax is used as a hammer to press the wedge for splitting. For smaller logs, the ax is used for splitting.

After about a half century of outdoor living/Scouting, I have gravitated toward the Carpenter's Hatchet.

The hatchet is a lot more than just a woods tool and campsite implement. it has also been one of the key pioneering tools my Scouts and I have used to great advantage.

This is a serviceable one, and sheath.

This was the first one with which I became familiar. The handle is reminiscent of the Ka-Bar. However its single piece construction can tire the hand from repeated vibration.

Greg

Last edited:
I have a bunch of GB's, as well as Hults Bruks and Wetterlings. All are nice, though the GB's are my favorite for real use. We heat with wood in the winter, and I don't have a splitter, though I do have a chainsaw.

I also have a few Fiskar's, and some very high end tomahawks. I like edged tools very much, and use them on a daily basis on our property.

This one is a great choice for what the OP is talking about. Better than a metal handle, imo, and very easy to sharpen. It is a softer steel than the top of the line GB, but it bites well, and is easy to maintain. Kind of the .308 SPS for a beginner, if you will. If you are new to axes, then you will not have the skill to appreciate a GB, and will likely damage the handle faster than you might like. once you are reasonably expert with the Fiskar's, you will appreciate the GB. Regardless, I still like the Fiskars and use it without reservation.

Length and weight matter very much, so the one I posted may not be ideal for the OP for a variety of reasons, but I'm short and it is capable of most jobs if you aren't felling large trees.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-X15-...330676&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=gerber+axe&psc=1

Let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

Reactions: thejeep
Necro Thread but Im pretty happy with my recent camp ax purchase....

Hults Bruk...

MwWBpLCl.jpg

Reactions: Fig
Which model is this? Having used it, would you choose this model again or make a different choice?

Pretty sure it's the Aneby.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, bought it to replace a Stihl branded hatchet that felt too fat in hand.

This is trim in hand and plenty sharp to cut me once while adding more linseed oil to the handle.

Pretty sure it's the Aneby.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, bought it to replace a Stihl branded hatchet that felt too fat in hand.

This is trim in hand and plenty sharp to cut me once while adding more linseed oil to the handle.

OK, waiting for range report.

I use the Gerber hatchet, it's light weight has good balance and holds an edge really well with a well designed sheath. After using and abusing it for a while I ended up buying the longer axe version that stays attached to my Hi-Lift jack in the back of my jeep.
They aren't tacticool but they just flat out perform for a good price.
Both are the original all black and the blades are made by Fiskars, not sure if they still are.

Screw that. Half axe/woodsman’s axe over a hatchet all day long (I’ll carry an extra pound or two for actual leverage), and if you’re looking for a hand saw nothing beats a Silky or Samurai. Weight to usefulness the saw is probably your best bet.

Normally I would say I don’t fall for gimmicks. Don’t know that Zippo is a POS.

Normally I would say I don’t fall for gimmicks. Don’t know that Zippo is a POS.
Its not a question of quality, though Zippo isn't generally great quality stuff. The combo aspect of the "tool" ensures that it will fail as an axe and as a saw. Usually, these types of things are called gimmicks, and designed to attract people who don't really use axes or saws. If you are trying to learn how to use an axe or a saw, I would get a good inexpensive option listed somewhere further up this thread. For saws, a good Silky is pretty awesome, but a surplus Swedish Bow saw is also an excellent, very inexpensive choice, and a little more fool proof than the Silky.

Fan of the Sven saw myself for how easy it is to carry. That and a thick knife for batoning you don’t really need an axe

Not trying to cause offense, but batoning is zombie prepper retard shit for people who’ve never heard of an axe. I like sharp knives, and will not be splitting wood with mine.

Haha, Fig you have a way with words.

I carry a Fiskars when backpacking mostly because it's light. I use a larger Fiskars chopping axe when limbing big spruces and pondos after I drop em with the Husky and a Fiskars splitting axe, too. They work and they're cheap.

Not trying to cause offense, but batoning is zombie prepper retard shit for people who’ve never heard of an axe. I like sharp knives, and will not be splitting wood with mine.
Disagree. An axe isn’t hard to carry but it’s definitely harder to carry than a knife.

A screwdriver can also be used as a pry-bar. All sorts of tools can be misused in a pinch. Batoning is not some skill, it’s rarely actually necessary, and especially when “preparing firewood”.

I built a shed with a leatherman once. It sucked. I’d have gotten it done about three hours faster with a screw gun and a socket set...
I don’t live on the show naked and afraid. I have a half dozen axes in all sizes. Even a crapppy hatchet is better than a knife.

Reactions: XLR308
Sometimes you don't have an axe with you. I agree that batoning is not a primary skill, and mostly un essential if you aren't on youtube, but it is still nice to have a knife that will hold up to it, and some skill in how to do it safely and effectively.

Frankly, I don't find an axe very important for most real world fire building either. Squaw wood is often available, and a silky saw will do more work faster and more efficiently than an axe in most cases. the bigger stuff can simply be burned through in most cases. I probably have a dozen axes, and I like them all, but rarely do they get carried very far, as their utility to weight ratio isn't very high when backpacking or hunting. Around my "ranch", or in the truck, an axe comes in very handy. But man, a good silky saw is an amazing tool.

Reactions: BallisticCanadian
I baton almost every time I start a fire while camping. Now I'm not trying to cut trees in half with my knife, but when I get down to the small pieces I like the control I have with a knife to split small pieces into even smaller kindling.
In terms of the axes I use, at home I have a long handle Fiskars for splitting. The steel is soft so it need resharpening more often, but I don't care about edge retention at my house, since it's easy to go inside and take a stone to it. For camping I like the Gransfors Buks Small Forest Axe. 1 1/2 lbs with a 19" handle is just the perfect size for taking small trees or doing light splitting. Then yes I use my knife to whittle away some kindling to get a fire going.

I tried looking up the Estwing E45E, and it came up as a 45 ounce dead blow hammer. I used to have one of the Estwing hatchets, and gave it to a friend as I don't go camping any more.

I've used Fiskars and Estwings for 15 years. This year last year was presented a Gransfors by my sons. Wish someone had done that 15 years ago.
For those that don't see the point...it' like anything. A Corolla will get you from point A to B as well as a Mercedes. But if you're more than just a competent driver (knowing about things like brake balance, shock ratios, etc)...you appreciate the differences.
I find that size for size my Gransfors easily handles larger firewood and ergonomically is designed that I feel less physical stress when chopping wood, which may be due to the steel holding it's edge longer, but whatever the reason, the Fiskars was a chore to chop wood, whereas that isn't the case with the Gransfors.