• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What can you tell me about 7mm Rem Mag?

Shooter_308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
Long Island, New York
Hey guys, i spoke to a friend of mine tonight and he's looking to get rid of a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Mag. I never looked into this round, but at the price he's asking for the gun with an old weaver scope mounted to it ($200 btw) i figure i should pick it up ANYWAY for the action alone! He told me it's a 1969 BDL, wood has some scratches and shows some wear (easy fix) bore is near perfect, still has factory sights and an "old style" Weaver scope on top. I have yet to see it.

I was thinking of using this as a deer rifle as opposed to my heavy-ass tactical rifle and long barreled long distance rifle (both .308). Is the 7mm Rem Mag too much power for what i'm looking for? I'm really just looking to use it as a deer gun/medium game. Longest shot would be sub-100 yards where i hunt in upstate NY.

I figure i can't go wrong either way for $200, but i'd just like to know what you guys could tell me about the cartridge. Thanks!

Re: What can you tell me about 7mm Rem Mag?

I would pick it up for 200. The 7 mag will kill anything in north America. Shooting sub 100 yards with that round is like bear gun territory. Still would be a great rifle and would get the job done. Recoil is a bit sharp

GET IT!

I have 2 7 mags and they are all awesome

GET IT!

I have 2 7 mags and they are all awesome

It will recoil pretty hard, But its a very good round for shooting big game. and is at a discount price. buy it, shoot it, resell it if you don't like it.

not my favirote round but you cant go wrong picking up a rem 700 for 200 bucks. I would be all over it. Recoil always seemed to be more that it should and it dosent see to shoot as flat as its made out to.

If it puts it into perspective, I picked up an M700 ADL 7mmRM (1974) for close to $400. I picked it up because I seem to be addicted to M700s and because I didn't have a 7mm. The recoil sucks if shooting a lot, but nothing to wince at with one shot at Bambi. I didn't plan on keeping mine, but I am now trying to develop a load for the coming years whitetail season.

I absolutely love mine!

Edit:
Shooting the caliber even for just a box of shells made me want another..So I picked up a Sendero SFII in 7mm as well!

I've got a 700 BDL LSS 7mm Rem Mag. It will thump a deer!

You definitely won't have to lob the shot at them with sub 100 distances! LOL!

I just had Jered put a new barrel on mine. I love it. Recoil is fine for me. At that range there isn't much that will survive, let alone walk very much.

That caliber and rifle combo suck...pm me the info and I'll rid the thought for you lol..
You'd be foolish not to snag it.

IMG388.jpg
well here she is! I threw a random 4-12x40 scope on top instead of the terrible weaver that was on top, and i'm extremely happy. I'm probably going to put a Leupold hunting optic on it though once funds start gathering up again (been a very expensive month haha)

Thanks for all the help and info you guys, i'm more than confident this year will the the first year I take a trophy home. Any recommendations on an optic for it that will stand up to a magnum cartridge? I was looking at the Leupold VX-3 series as they're relatively inexpensive and a nice high quality piece. Any other recommendations?

if you dont like the recoil put a break on it

mine recoils like a 243.....except im sending 168@3000+

shoot a big trophy with it cause you will have some meat loss at that range

I am a huge fan of the VX-III 4.5-14x50 LR. I have it on my deer rig and it is everything I need plus some.

i ended up with a VX-1 in QRW mounts, i'm pretty pleased with it. My buddy at the local shop i go to had a similar set up and said it help up just fine, so i figured for $325 total for the scope and rings, i'm good too go. Lapped them up,mounted it and can't wait to shoot it...well...maybe i can with how expensive 7mm is!

$200 is a good deal. The action is worth at least $300.

Bb

Love that Caliber, just finished my Rem 700 7RM build, that IS alot of gun for under 100yards, but better to be looking at it than looking for it!

Nice grab

I use a savage 7 mm mag and I've shot deer, coyotes, elk, etc with it and never been disappointed, I shoot 150 gr winchester bst factory ammo and it's a drt most of the time, shot an elk behind the left shoulder blade at 285 yds and it left a 4" exit hole on the right shoulder ( quite of bit of meet wasted btw ). Its always been very effective, makes some impressive damage on coyotes called in within 100 yds. Talking about recoil this is the first hunting rifle I owned / shot only after shooting .22 and a mini 14 and the first round I shot with it ( 170 gr sp ? ) reminded me how important eye protection is, I didn't have scope eye but I did get a good safety glasses bump. I have a Burris ff II 3-9x40 bp on it and it's been my big game hunting rifle for years and even though it was a $340 rifle when purchased new I haven't felt the need to replace it.

That is a great gun. I would put a decelerator recoil pad on it, trigger job, and slide a dollar bill down the barrel channel to make sure the barrel is not touching the stock. Then I would clean it real good and see how it shoots. If the barrel shoots well, I would glass bed it and have one hell of a hunting rifle. I would NOT put a muzzle break on a hunting rifle. I do not take ears to the field so I darn sure dont want a break on a hunting rifle. The decelerator pad will make a huge difference in the felt recoil, especially since that old recoil is probably hard or deteriorating. Oh, and I would take the front sight off of it.

You stole it!!

Way overkill for deer -100yds, it is going to poke through them

if you decide to part it out I want that stock and the old scope that was on it

Yeah i'll probably go with a lighter bullet like the 150gr Winchester SP, see how that does.

thewileyone - i actually left the front sight on, but took the hood off. The pad on it is actually in exceptional shape for its age. Not deteriorated, crumbling, or even cracking. yeah i have to free float the barrel, as it is touching so i'm probably going to have my 'smith bed it for me and make her real nice. It was pretty much always in a safe unless it was hunting season. By the looks of the bore and overall cleanliness except for a weird rub at the from of the barrel, it's in spectacular shape for its age and i'd be shocked if it saw even 100 rounds!

Joel, you have a PM

I have quite a lot of federal soft points (factory loads). If you're interested send me a pm... Maybe 200 of them. I sold my 7 mag a year or two ago

Rem put a contact pad in the barrel channel up at the end of the stocks, some guns shoot worse if you grind those out, some shoot better- esp if you pillar bed the stock and freefloat the barrel.

I sold mine to my brother cause it hammered me with the recoil. He shoots it like 4-5 rounds every other year. I'll take my 14 lb 308, and shoot it all day in a tee shirt. Buy a good deal none the less, JPG

For a hunting rifle, it's a great gun.

For target shooting, nothing with "Magnum" in the description is fun except maybe a 22 rimfire mag.

Shooting white tails inside of 300 yards, you're taking too much gun IMO, though my hunting partner uses a 300WSM, it's just my opinion. I like a 308 or a 7-08 for most white tail applications.

Great for hunting out west where critters get bigger or if you are set up on a pipeline or powerline where you can realistically see 700 yards.