• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes what causes black out

Smkngstv

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
edmonton alberta
i have a nightforce scope on a pgw timberwolf,i had the rifle set up,but after reading on here i realized that i had the stock pull to long,i removed from the folding stock 2 of the 1/4 "pads so with my arm at a 90 degreee angle the butt sits in the inside crease and finger reaches the trigger comfortbly .when at the range yesterday i felt like a hen pecking for food.with a good cheek weld i could not get my target to focus always having to move my head back and forth to find a clear sight picture,i had a hard time getting rid of the large black ring in the scope.do i need to move the scope to corect this,is there a method that i should follow to get rid of the black ring.i tried adjusting the paralex but did not notice much difference.thx for your help

Yes it sounds like your eye relief is not adjusted well, a good way to tell is to get onto the rifle with your eyes closed and comfortable when you open the your eyes the eye relief should be right there if not adjust until it is. Lowlight has some god videos on setting up a new rifle.

I loosened mt rings and closed my eyes, got on to the rifle and opened. Did this until I had the perfect picture. Then re torqued. Also you don't want to be lifting your head or coking it.

I agree with Highflyer, it sounds like your scope needs to be moved to give you the proper eye relief. Do as he recommended and you should be able to get you scope problem solved.

Go back one step: Adjust your length of pull correctly, by measuring it. Then decide on a compromise length.

Now you will need to move the scope forward. Do your first adjustment in the prone.