• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what chronograph to buy?

Re: what chronograph to buy?

for 100?.. croney is fine, but most of the 100$ models are pretty equal..

i would say, save 200 for the magneto one..

I bought the Competition Electronics ProChorno from Midway USA for around $120 and had terrible luck with it. Ended up buying the CED Millennium 2 to replace it and have been very happy. Unfortunately, it's $199 at Midway and outside your budget. Based on my experience with the two though, I'd save up the cash and go with a higher end chronograph, otherwise you might just get frustrated like I did and spend the additional cash later anyway. There are some things you can save cash on in the shooting hobby/addiction, but personally I don't think chronographs are where you want to do that.

Good afternoon,

I have a Shooting Chrony Beta that has been outstanding. When I first bought it in '95 it didn't work worth a darn. But, I called Chrony and they said the lenses and software had been upgraded since my s/n so <span style="text-decoration: underline">they </span>paid to have it returned, fixed it up, and sent it back all in a week. Since then it has been flawless. I find that using the skyscreens all the time makes for trouble free operation. I've compared it's output with both an Oehler and a CED and it's within 1% so I'm pleased. For Father's Day, my wife upgraded me to a new Beta with the removable screen and it works as well as my old one did.

I find that if I used the skyscreens and make sure I set it up so the bullet passes several inches above the unit, I can shoot until dusk without trouble.

Good luck with your selection. I've found a chrono to be invaluable for my reloading.

Warmest regards,
Rob

(Also, I've found 12-15 feet from the muzzle is perfect for 308, 30-06, and 270 Win, and all handguns.)

I also have a shooting chrony beta that has served me well for many years.

I picked up a Prochrono Digital by Competition Electronics from Brownells a few months ago. The reviews were good and the price was right. It fits it your price range and has worked very well thus far for what I've used it for. It doesn't fold so you don't have to worry about the screens/sensors not being aligned right and I like you can get the kit to connect it to your computer.

I really like the Magnetospeed, and wont be going back to the traditional chronograph, even with the flaky original buckle.

Umm...one that you won't miss after you blow a hole in it LOL

You mean...like this?

IMG_0062-1.jpg

Fortunately, I only shot the screen supports on one side. Always remember, "Don't shoot the Chrony!"

I think I'm more confused what to get... What I get from this thread is dint go cheap... Going to buy one soon this was all good info for me..thanks for the input

I think the thing to remember is exactly how much your chronograph can do for you. It measures the speed of the bullet, which provides you with dope charts, as well as provides chamber pressure info based on that speed.
It is one of the most overlooked pieces of equipment a shooter has, and certainly not one that should be cheaped out on.
Less exspensive, or cheap, chronographs, use light to trigger the timer. More exspensive ones do as well, but in different ways. As the light changes, so does the reading. The area that you shoot through the screens is large. As you shoot through different areas, the readings change. There are many, many more variables to consider.
I have a theory that most of the "temperature sensitivty" in powders is caused by cheap chrongraphs. As the sun is high in the summer, the chronograph will read its most accurate. As the sun falls in the sky in the fall and winter, not so much. It reads slower. Bingo! It must be the powder, as it can't be my $100 chrongraph!
Save up, and always buy the best you can afford, which really means, get your priorities straight. Chances are you'll blow through enough powder and bullets over a cheap chronograpgh, chasing your tail, than if you just bought a better one.
For ease of use and set up, and accuracy for the dollar, the Magnetospeed can't be beat.

R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RD62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up a Prochrono Digital by Competition Electronics from Brownells a few months ago. The reviews were good and the price was right. It fits it your price range and has worked very well thus far for what I've used it for. It doesn't fold so you don't have to worry about the screens/sensors not being aligned right and I like you can get the kit to connect it to your computer. </div></div>

+1 on the Prochrono, I had a few other ones and kept getting bad readings or errors, this Prochrony has served me well with no headaches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean...like this?

IMG_0062-1.jpg

Fortunately, I only shot the screen supports on one side. Always remember, "Don't shoot the Chrony!" </div></div>

Do yourself a favour, and finish the job. Slam the largest bullet you have right down the middle. The "O" in Chrony, makes the best point of impact.
It is my belief that that contraption has done more harm than good for a long, long time, to many a shooter, with most not even knowing it.

R.

I find that I use my Chrono more for load developement and consistency than Drop charts lately.
A good ballistics program and the ability to "True" gives me a much more accurate drop chart when done correctly.

For the original Question, the only thing I can attest to first hand is that the Pro Chrono will not withstand a direct impact from a 180 berger in the neighborhood of 3K!

Rman1 I never thought of if that way. I try to get the best and only buy once.. I will take you advice and check out the magneto speed ...

The PVM-21 is the best chrono on the market hands down!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a theory that most of the "temperature sensitivty" in powders is caused by cheap chrongraphs. As the sun is high in the summer, the chronograph will read its most accurate. As the sun falls in the sky in the fall and winter, not so much. It reads slower. Bingo! It must be the powder, as it can't be my $100 chrongraph!</div></div>

Interesting.
Does your theory include folks using a variety of powders during the various seasons or just one powder per season?

In other words, if you are getting an incorrect reading with the 'temp sensitive' powder you would get the same error with a 'less temp sensitive' powder if you used them both on the same day.

Unless I'm mistaken?

If we are to rule out the chronographs you have ruled out I think it would be good to have a good reason to do so.

Respectfully.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a theory that most of the "temperature sensitivty" in powders is caused by cheap chrongraphs. As the sun is high in the summer, the chronograph will read its most accurate. As the sun falls in the sky in the fall and winter, not so much. It reads slower. Bingo! It must be the powder, as it can't be my $100 chrongraph!</div></div>

Interesting.
Does your theory include folks using a variety of powders during the various seasons or just one powder per season?

In other words, if you are getting an incorrect reading with the 'temp sensitive' powder you would get the same error with a 'less temp sensitive' powder if you used them both on the same day.

Unless I'm mistaken?

If we are to rule out the chronographs you have ruled out I think it would be good to have a good reason to do so.

Respectfully. </div></div>

I understand what you are saying.
My point is, when your chronograph is unreliable straight from the box, then all of your subsequent data is also unreliable. In order to prove the point either way, you would have to duplicate exact conditions, less temperature, and make sure each and every shot is placed in the exact same spot as it passes through the screens. This proves to be a very difficult thing to do, if not impossible with a lower end, light gathering chronograph.

R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PVM-21 is the best chrono on the market hands down!!
</div></div>

Yes. Yes it is.
It also uses its own light source, has the very best of modern electronics and has a high processing speed. IMO it is without peer.

R.

Thanks rman1.

And sorry if this detracts from the OP's question but it seems to be helpful?

It sounds like any chronograph that uses sky screens and ambient light will have this same potential problem?

Thanks again.

To answer your question directly, yes. Any chronograph that uses a skyscreen and/or ambient light will have this issue. Oehler, for the <span style="text-decoration: underline">most part</span>, being the exception, as that is a three screen system, spaced wide apart, with larger "eyes".
Any lower end ambient light driven chrony will have several issues.
The first being the light itself. On a bright, sunny summer day, the sun is high in the sky, and the screen is able to gather the most light. This gives it the best chance to grab the bullet's shadow as it crosses the screen. As light conditions change, so does accuracy.
The second is the bullets location within the screen area. As this location changes, it affects the screens ability to see the shadow. Different locations give different readings, and this affects the consistancy of those readings.
Some can live without the accuarcy, but want the consistancy. As in, it doesn't really matter what the ultimate velocity reading is, as much as it matters what the SD and spread numbers are. Keeping the above two points in mind, with most of the chronographs on the market, you're really not getting either.
The third issue is garbage electronics, light screens, and processors. This is really the stuff that costs the money. You are asking this equipment to measure very small items, moving very quickly. Any measuremnt instrument is only as good as its tolerances. Keep in mind that any manufacturers claims on tolerance will be under ideal conditions. Phone any one of them and ask them what their tolerances are, and if they do tell you, have a calculator handy. The answer will be disapointing at best. Most claim on the accuracy, few claim on the consistancy, as the design will not let them.
This is really what sets the Magnetospeed and Kurzzeit systems apart. The Magnetospeed does not use light at all, while the Kurzzeit system uses an infared light source and screen combination that is not effected by outside ambient light. The Kurzeit system also has large vertical screens that are basically immune to bullet placement. With the Magnetospeed, the design itself dictates exact, repeatable bullet placement.
There are other systems that use LED's and other illumination, but they are still hampered by those damn "eyes" that gather ambient light. Even if you did shoot indoors, in the dark, you could, in theory, solve the accuracy issue, but not the consistancy issue. And even then, you're still hampered by garbage tolerances due to cheap electronics and slow processing speeds, so you are no further ahead.

R.

As an interesting OBTW...I suppose if you're striving to make the PGA tour then yes...go high dollar but for the average shooter I don't think you gain much from the extra money spent. I've crono'd my rigs on my cheapo crony side-by-side with one that looked like it came off of the space shuttle and the numbers were practically identical. Maybe I got lucky, don't know but I've shot through several and was never off by more than a few FPS.