• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What Coyotes do...graphic !

malaga2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2005
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    Went hunting last thursday in the afternoon...temps in the mid 30's and raining/snow mixture for the entire afternoon. Had a big 8 point run by me and had to settle on a some does in a hay field...still hunted along the ditch and got to within 30 yds...took a good quartering to me shot..one lung and either clipped the second lung or took out the liver...watched the deer run and saw real good blood sign...lost light and decided it was better to recover in the am...went out early and this is what I found...
    Oct002.jpg

Oct001.jpg

Coyote season in Ct didnt open again until Saturday...what a kick in the nads that was !!!

Re: What Coyotes do...graphic !

coyotes didn't do that...

they are innocent beautiful critters that blamed for things like this.

they would never do something of this magnitude..

I have a hard time believing any of this nonsense...

lol... YA RIGHT !!
    grin.gif

On the bright side, I hear they are not as bad as wolves.

I feal for ya bro......

A coyote season? Guess i'm just lucky that i can shoot em year round here.
    wink.gif

Now go give em hell!

there are alot of them around here in the western corner.

I gotta laugh at this. You're gettin all pissed coyotes ate a dead deer?

I could have told you that. Pigs do the same thing though. Chickens too.

Look at it this way. Its an extra chance to hunt again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feal for ya bro......

A coyote season? Guess i'm just lucky that i can shoot em year round here.
    wink.gif

Now go give em hell! </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing. Even Kalifornia you can kill them day or night all year long.

You are absolutely right...wasnt trying to blame anyone but more to show what dogs can do in just a few hours. In Ct can hunt Coyotes almost year round... they close Coyote hunting between Oct 2nd and 17th...and no nightime hunting of anything other than possum/Racoons...

I think that was done by aliens. There are many reports of animal mutilations that remain unexplained throughout the country. Yep, aliens did it, not 'yotes.
    laugh.gif

That stinks, man...

Time for you to even the score now!

I'd be surprised if there was any area where a dead, or seriously wounded deer could survive a night without coyote predation.

There are two ways to look at this. Coyotes gotta eat. If you want to eat you better get on the blood trail till it ends, while fresh.

After downing an animal with a bow, you can wait the 15-30 minutes, if needed. If you had good blood trail, you can easily track a deer with a light. This is poor sportsmanship. Your kill was a waste of a perfect doe.

I'm surprised there was that much left. another night, and all that will be left is a few bones.
    Up in our hunting area in NE Oregon, a road kill deer lasted about three hours before two bears dragged it off the road, into the brush. Easy prey don't last long in a vigorous biosphere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    </div></div>

foghornleghorn.jpg

"What kinda, I say WTF kinda carnivorous chickens you boys got down there in the 'Big T'?"

I can understand pigs and various other woodland scavengers, but chickens? Do they hunt in packs? I guess that's why we have "Kentucky Fried Chicken" and not "Texas Fried Chicken". Even Colonel Sanders knew his limitations. Those Wild Carnivorous Texas Chickens... they'll eat your ass.

All intended to be in fun.
    grin.gif

But seriously, Texas Chickens will clean a carcass like THAT?

- Fret

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fret</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    </div></div>

foghornleghorn.jpg

"What kinda, I say WTF kinda carnivorous chickens you boys got down there in the 'Big T'?"

- Fret </div></div>

HAHHAHAH.

I gotta admit I haven't seen any roving bands of deer munching chickens.

What I was really getting at is if you own a bunch of chickens and one dies they generally eat that chicken as well. They can be as nasty as anything!

As for the OP i now that leaving animals in the forest cant be helped in some occasions. A rain/snow will hide a bloodtrrail fairly quickly. It sucks but just so long as you made a good hard try to find the animal I dont think you can find much fault.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">coyotes didn't do that...

they are innocent beautiful critters that blamed for things like this.

they would never do something of this magnitude..

I have a hard time believing any of this nonsense...

lol... YA RIGHT !!
    grin.gif

</div></div>

hahaha sendero when i first read this part i though...... you got to be f##@king kidding me, then i read the rest. lol. I live for coyote hunting out here in oregon. Cabelas is putting on our big yearlky shoot this year so i am stoked and ready for it. sorry about the deer though to the op.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After downing an animal with a bow, you can wait the 15-30 minutes, if needed. If you had good blood trail, you can easily track a deer with a light. This is poor sportsmanship. Your kill was a waste of a perfect doe. </div></div>

Excuse me sir !...I have seen and tracked deer that took hours to die after a bow hunt. Ive personally witnessed two hunters choke a deer to death with their bare hands after getting what the shooter thought was a good hit...after 4-5 hour wait...
    I felt quite comfortable in my decision to back off and not "push" the wounded animal...it was raining/snowing and temps were in the 30's...to do over Im not sure that I wouldnt do the same again...
    My post was not an attempt to elicit armchair quarterbacking but to point out what happened on this hunt...

I'm sure the deer populations there are growing like they are down here in oklahoma. They opened up for 2 does in black powder and rifle season here. If you can count 12 does in the field, chances are the population will probably be a third higher the next year. If the herd doesn't get thinned out by the hunters, the government hunters will do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Ive personally witnessed two hunters choke a deer to death with their bare hands after getting what the shooter thought was a good hit...after 4-5 hour wait...
    </div></div>

WTF!!

They ran outa ammo? Didn't have a knife to field dress the deer?

The same thing happened last week to a friend of mine only with a eight point. He was in his stand three days later when the dogs returned. Almost got revenge on one. As it was eating what was left of his deer he began making a squeeking noise. He had it to within 30 yds and was unable to get a clear enough shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fret</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    </div></div>

foghornleghorn.jpg

I can understand pigs and various other woodland scavengers, but chickens? Do they hunt in packs? I guess that's why we have "Kentucky Fried Chicken" and not "Texas Fried Chicken". Even Colonel Sanders knew his limitations. Those Wild Carnivorous Texas Chickens... they'll eat your ass.

All intended to be in fun.
    grin.gif

But seriously, Texas Chickens will clean a carcass like THAT?

- Fret </div></div>
    Now thats fukin funny, I just blew Crown Royal out my nose!!!

WHAT A .243 DOES TO COYOTES.....GRAPHIC!
    Sorry...could not resist...

Here is what a .243 shooting 75gr hollow pints does to coyotes. Top pic was a direct on chest shot that opened the yote up from the bottom of the rib cage to its ass.

The 2nd pic was a broad side shot.

BgBmBoo

Just admiring your rifle set up. If you don’t mind - What type of shell holder do you have mounted on the butt stock?

Thanks,

USGILT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USGILT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BgBmBoo

Just admiring your rifle set up. If you don’t mind - What type of shell holder do you have mounted on the butt stock?

Thanks,

USGILT
    </div></div>

The rifle is a Tikka T3 Lite and I had the barrel chopped down to 16 1/2"...scope is a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16X, base is a 20MOA EGW, and the rings are Warne...it is strictly a yote buster.

The shell holder is from Thompson Center. Bought it online off there website. I think it was about $25.00.

Take care,Stan

Thanks again for the information. You have a great looking rifle their. I have a Tikka T3 in .270 WSM myself, great rifles!

USGILT

Coyotes are true varmints. Fierce too. I pretty much live in the big city and it is nothing to see and definitely hear them on the golf courses and even recently in the neighborhood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that was done by aliens. There are many reports of animal mutilations that remain unexplained throughout the country. Yep, aliens did it, not 'yotes.
    laugh.gif
    </div></div>

Doubtful. Aliens are much more prevalent in Texas and Arizona. Connecticut, though fairly far north, does....oh, wait. You meant <span style="font-weight: bold">extraterrestrial</span> aliens. Got it.

Still, I think it was most likely Bear Grylls. He must have heard you coming because you can clearly see in the top pic that he didn't have time to finish the eyeballs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went hunting last thursday in the afternoon...temps in the mid 30's and raining/snow mixture for the entire afternoon. Had a big 8 point run by me and had to settle on a some does in a hay field...still hunted along the ditch and got to within 30 yds...took a good quartering to me shot..one lung and either clipped the second lung or took out the liver...watched the deer run and saw real good blood sign...lost light and decided it was better to recover in the am...went out early and this is what I found...
    Oct002.jpg

Oct001.jpg

Coyote season in Ct didnt open again until Saturday...what a kick in the nads that was !!! </div></div>

Seems like a lot of wasted meat to me
    wink.gif

Doesn't look llike they wasted much... They ate damn near all of her! It sucks that you lost her, but these things happen. I know you gave it a good try to find her, and I agree, you can push one, I've done it before, makes for a hell of a track, alot of times you'll push em out of a blood trail. This is nature and it took care of itself, I guarantee you the coyotes did a better job cleaning her than my butcher would've done. LOL, he definately wastes more than they did... Look at the bright side, she didn't kill an insoncent family on the highway or total another car... We all gripe about how high our car insurance is, and then we don't harvest our does. Thanks for doing your duty and harvesting your does, don't give up, go get another one! Good luck hunting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After downing an animal with a bow, you can wait the 15-30 minutes, if needed. If you had good blood trail, you can easily track a deer with a light. This is poor sportsmanship. Your kill was a waste of a perfect doe. </div></div>

I have to respectively disagree with that blanket statement. Have killed in the neighborhood of about 150 deer, many of which required no or little tracking, but occassionally one requires some serious tracking, even when the hit is lethal. For example, I tracked one last Saturday for 3.5 hrs. Luckly it was in daylight -- probably wouldn't have been able to do it at night. It had a freeway of a blood trail for a while, but eventually played out. Had to keep going back and branching off into different trails. Finally found some tiny drops that I had to run a white paper towel over (which made a pink mark) to know it was blood and to know which trail it was traveling. The point being -- that while most are not this difficult to track, occassionally it happens.