• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Dead Musician........

It's just my opinion, but I doubt any of the aforementioned minstrels would allow any of us to hang out with them.

Not a big fan of celebrity.

Call me old and jaded.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
Hell yes, Clarence was a hell of a picker! I live in Lewiston Maine (I am not from here, just trying to escape back down south ASAP), Clarence was born here.
He is one of my guitar idols.

Haha what no love for Kurt Cobain?

As a GenXer of a certain age who got to see Nirvana at the first concert he attended, this has some appeal. But as a mature(ish) middle-age man, nah, I don't think I'd want to hang out with a mopy 20-something drug addict. Same for Layne Staley, whose work I "enjoy" even more.

I'd need to find someone with a larger-than-life approach to, well, life. The guy who would have kept going until 125 if his body didn't give up the fight.

Lemmy seems like a good candidate:

86f7d494-3b81-46f8-b6bd-f0265d9b2254.JPG

As a GenXer of a certain age who got to see Nirvana at the first concert he attended, this has some appeal. But as a mature(ish) middle-age man, nah, I don't think I'd want to hang out with a mopy 20-something drug addict. Same for Layne Staley, whose work I "enjoy" even more.

I'd need to find someone with a larger-than-life approach to, well, life. The guy who would have kept going until 125 if his body didn't give up the fight.

View attachment 7641989
I can't agree more, how do people idolize these fucking druggy losers...

Reactions: Middle Man

View attachment 7641989

fellow "olderish" gen'xer and I could not agree more. i was kind of like, meh...that sucks for his loved ones and was very selfish.

but i also know demons are real. seen it many times in real time.

I can't agree more, how do people idolize these fucking druggy losers...

I certainly don't idolize them. I do find the work of that era to be fascinating, and the generally miserable and morbid outlook of that era's music was quite helpful in getting me through some difficult times in my youth.

Now that my sons are getting into this type of music, we've had opportunities to talk about why Layne Staley is singing about certain things, and why he ended up dying in the exact way he predicted, and how this might be an effective cautionary tale. It does suck when my sons ask if we can go see Stone Temple Pilots or Soundgarden or Nirvana or Mad Season or whomever they're into at the moment, and I've gotta say no, we can't because some dude is dead.

But once again, it's probably more effective at teaching the correct life lessons than the life story of Keith Richards :ROFLMAO:

fellow "olderish" gen'xer and I could not agree more. i was kind of like, meh...that sucks for his loved ones and was very selfish.

but i also know demons are real. seen it many times in real time.

Those demons are indeed very real, and it's ugly to see them up close. I had a total of eight siblings and cousins. Four of them died before their time should have expired, and three of those (including my sister) were not from anything related to "natural causes". So I consider myself fortunate to have avoided those depths so far, and ironically enough, miserable music has been a big part of this.

I tend to be emphatic towards people who have battled those demons and lost, because maybe I wasn't so far away from becoming one of them. But that's different than idolizing them, or even wanting to hang out with them. At this stage of my life, please let me know the secrets to living past 70 on a liquid and powder diet. I don't aspire to do the same, but I'm likely to find the story far more entertaining than ending one's life before it had a chance to get interesting.

Edit: It suddenly occurred to me that Hunter S Thompson might be an interesting guy to meet. Once again, not trying to emulate his lifestyle, but there are probably some lessons he could pass along that I would prefer not to learn myself.

Reactions: OldSalty2
I had lunch with Bob Weir one time. It wasn't much.

Okay, I met this guy several times as a young man. I found that going to Polka dances was the easiest way to pick up hot polish girls. Ones that drank, danced and ummm, other things. It was a fun time in my life and this guy was known as the Polka King. I'd just like to tell him Thank you for a great time. His music saved me from Disco.

Keith Richards is still alive even tho he looks dead. Jimi was the world's best rock guitarist IMO but was a 100% prick in real life.

I know he's still alive but I'd like to have a sit-down with Ian Anderson. Saw Tull live back in 1977, was one of the best concerts I went to.
And I was completely straight at the time, a rarity in those days.
^^^

This. On every level.

Jethro Tull at the Centrum in Worcester, Ma in 1992. Absolutely awesome concert! Tull put on an incredible show!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Keith Richards is still alive even tho he looks dead. Jimi was the world's best rock guitarist IMO but was a 100% prick in real life.

I know he's still alive but I'd like to have a sit-down with Ian Anderson. Saw Tull live back in 1977, was one of the best concerts I went to.
And I was completely straight at the time, a rarity in those days.

Actually, I want to go back and chat with Freddie Mercury. I never got to see Queen live. Plus he was a cat dood.

I got to see Floyd without Roger Waters, but it was mostly the same, but QUeen with no Freddie--just doesn't work for me.

There's probably a million old blues guys I'd just like to go jam with.

This thread made me think of my former best friend Chip McCormick. He told me he had once hung out and partied with SRV and commented how fuc't up his teeth were.

Chip himself passed away suddenly and unexpectedly Saturday morning. He was a year younger, and I thought, in better shape than me.

I'm feeling tired, spent and mortal now and realize how easy dying is.

Sorry for your loss. Prayers for him and his family.

God Bless
RIP

Imma breaking the " rule "...........he ain't deaded yet..............Seasick Steve...........we could drink some wine and play guitars into the wee hours.

I love some of their music & miss many, but I'm not a musician or entertainer so doubt I could relate or hang & party with any of them.

Sitting on the side lines, enjoying free booze & overflow groupies would be the way to enjoy the experience for me.

Albert Collins was a cool cat.
There are many that I like listening to, but most were hardcore diapers including SRV, JH, Janis Joplin etc...
To be honest, if it was a chill meeting in the country with a chance they might play a few songs, then probably John Denver.

Wayne static.

Wandered out the wrong door at a concert. Couldn't get back in so missed the last 2 songs, but I ended up having a smoke with the opening band. Then static-x walks out and I end up talking with them.

Wayne was cool as hell since I never asked him for anything, just wanted to bs about his bronco. The other band were making fun of him because he would get up on a ladder and trim his own hedges in Hollywood. Refused to stop being a normal guy.

Quitting smoking has resulted in less random stuff happening to me. Always had odd things happen when I was wandering off away from the crowd for a smoke.

I did get to spend a little time with Dimebag Darrel, way back when Pantera played Circle In The Square, in Shreveport. These were the pre Anselmo days. I must say his personality did not change one bit, from the time he was 18 and the videos over the years, until he died. He was just a hard playing, hard partying, good ole boy from Dallas, not a malicious bone in his body. The dude had hair that most women would die for. Lol
As a talentless guitar player, myself, I would love to be able to visit with Hendrix, SRV, EVH, Angus Young and the Reverend Billy Gibbons. This tells you about my taste in music, too.
I know Angus and Billie are still alive, but I'd still want to talk to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Odysseus1911
Son House.

8220DF03-3118-4C84-ADAF-D85477EBFBB5.jpeg

One of the "Fathers of the Delta Blues".
At different times in his life, he was a farmer, a convict, a preacher, and a railroad worker. While performing at a bar, he was shot in the leg by a man on a shooting spree and he returned fire, killing the shooter. He lived to be 86. I bet that man had some stories to tell.

Reactions: BLEE and CraigT

View attachment 7641989
I was giving y'all shit, there are way more talented musicians that I bet would be a blast to hang out with rather than a sad junkie.

I was giving y'all shit, there are way more talented musicians that I bet would be a blast to hang out with rather than a sad junkie.
spot on, huge Alice in Chains fan here but not a single grunge band would be cool to hang with.

Motley Crue would be a blast 80s style!

Gotta go with Morrison who was brilliant and made a habit of wrecking cars and then having the music label call them in as stolen lol

Some great responses but what would you ask them? What would you want to talk about?

A road trip with Hunter S Thompson would be cool but if I had to pick one it would be Jerry. I'd try and get into what drove their path and creativity and what part of it was the most difficult - what they learned from a life quite different than most. A public life is not easy. Often the excessive drugs are a part of depression and other issues. I know some of the Cobain family well and, sadly, there is a history of terrible depression there.

A friend of mine is a rock star - that all he's ever done. Played in bands from a young age and hit it big in the early 80s - played stadiums and arenas all over the world. Still tours but mostly mid-size venues. They're Hard Rock / Metal / Glam so the music isn't really my thing though I recently listened to recordings of shows at Wembley Stadium and Madison Square Garden a while back - ton of energy and fun stuff! We've had great conversations about parenting, aggravations of home maintenance, traffic woes, vacations, out of control parties until dawn, aches and pains of being an old dude, star-struck groupies, being a grandpa, the woes of colonoscopy prep, wrecked hotel rooms, cars, sports, politics, stupid things roadies do, and other just normal stuff.