• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What diameter bolt to order? PTG one piece Rem 700 SA

DHanz

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Long Island, NY
I want to order a Pacific Tool and Gauge 1 Piece Short Action Remington 700 bolt for my blueprinted 700 SA. I don't know what diameter to order.

My factory bolt nose forward of the lugs is oval shaped and measures .690-.6945". The factory bolt body behind the lugs measures .696" and is round.

I can specify any diameter from .6995 - .700" . What diameter should I order?

1 Piece Short Action Remington 700 Bolt Pacific Tool & Gauge 1 Piece Short Action Remington 700 Bolt [] - $167.00 : Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. - Store Home, Redefining Quality in Manufacturing

Do I need to order anything else, parts or tooling, besides a knob?

I would just order a standard. When they say .6995-.700, they are representing a manufacturing tolerance. The .0005 is not enough to worry about in this case. The reason the diameter option is on that order form is for guys building large calibers that need bigger bolt diameters. My defiance action, for example takes a .750 bolt diameter, instead of .700.

I would just order a standard. When they say .6995-.700, they are representing a manufacturing tolerance. The .0005 is not enough to worry about in this case. The reason the diameter option is on that order form is for guys building large calibers that need bigger bolt diameters. My defiance action, for example takes a .750 bolt diameter, instead of .700.

Thank you for the explanation. I think understand now.

So a new bolt should just "drop in" my action and allow my 'smith to chamber and headspace my new barrel with it?

I just want to be sure I am ordering everything needed.

I have found that these bolts don't necessarily "drop in". Even with the standard 0.6995" diameter, you may find that the bolt raceway requires a bit of lapping for the bolt to run smoothly. And since these bolts seem to be dimensioned to retain good primary extraction even on a trued action, there may be some fitting required between the front of the bolt handle and the rear of the bolt handle slot depending on how much material was removed when truing the lugs. I installed one in an "R"-series Rem700 action that didn't require much material removal to true the lugs, and it took a bit of filing on the front edge of the bolt handle slot in order for the bolt to close fully (to be honest, it took longer to find the problem than it did to fix it).

You will need to purchase a firing pin assembly, extractor, ejector, ejector spring, and ejector retaining pin if you don't want to steal these parts from your present bolt assembly.

I believe they offer a .698. If that is what they call a .6995-.7 then you will be fine. The larger ones will be too tight in a factory action. If speed and fail safe is important, a little play is OK. The important part on a 700 is the lock up with the bolt engaged. I have seen 700's, Mausers, Win's etc that had ALOT of play when the bolt is disengaged. It's of little consequence. I would suggest the M-16 extractor. You can reuse the ejector. It's a spring, a plunger, and a pin, a no brainer. You can also use your existing firing pin, shroud, spring, etc. If you decide to go with an aftermarket firing pin assembly, call Gre-Tan. Be wary of internal lug / bolt lug material removal as primary extraction will suffer. Your smith will know the right course to take but keep in mind, a new bolt needs proper heaspacing, etc as they are not drop ins.