• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Die Set Would You Recommend for 6BR?

S3th

Indecisive
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2018
Greensboro NC
I have reloaded several thousand rounds of 9mm, 223 and 30-06, however, I have never reloaded for any type of PRS/Long Range.

I am currently in the process of building my first PRS rifle chambered in 6BR. I just ordered Lapua 6mm BR Norma Brass and 108grain ELD-M bullets.

If you have any suggestions on a die kit, bushing, the whole 9-yards, that would be fantastic.

The only thing I can think of with my current experience/knowledge would be a head spacing gauge, 2 or 3 die set with a micrometer seating stem.

Thanks in advance!

I used whidden dies. Is your chamber of a .272 no turn dimension? If so, a 267 bushing with blue box lapua brass should be ideal for a couple thousandths neck tension.

A good alternative to whidden is the Redding competition set with micro top bullet seater.
The whidden set comes with a set back gauge to put on your caliper to measure shoulder bump.
Varget is the mainstay in a 6br. I've had great success with r15 and 203b as well. It has been speculated and possibly confirmed that they are the same powder.
Don't know, don't care, they just work.. The latter two burn quite a bit dirtier than varget though.
Good luck. It's a great, simple cartridge thanks needs very little tuning. Plenty of data out there.
Side note, I won a State f open midrange championship several years ago whilst fire forming brass in a 6brx. With varget of course.

Forster dies Imr 4166 powder and Sierra 95 grain tipped matchkings. The 108 gr eld is a great bullet but in a 6 br I would go with the 95 tipped matchking.

I like Whidden sizing dies and Redding comp seaters. I did buy a Redding type s die set for a Dasher a couple months ago, more so just to get the seater, and get started, but that 3 die set is not where I really want to be.

The only thing I can think of with my current experience/knowledge would be a head spacing gauge, 2 or 3 die set with a micrometer seating stem.

If you are referring to a traditional case gauge that's too crude of a measurement. Get the Hornady headspace and bullet comparator set so that you can measure both case sizing and bullet seating more accurately. You want to measure the shoulder datum of brass that has been 2x fired then size your cases until they measure 0.002" shorter, which should ensure easy chambering without excessive sizing.

Agree with the plan for micrometer seating die. I like Forster micrometer seaters but Whidden or Redding are good too. For sizing dies Harrells, Forster, Whidden or Redding are all good. The plus side of the Harrells is that you can send them your fired brass and they will custom select the die that fits your chamber best. Select a bushing that is 0.002 smaller than the OD at the neck of a loaded round (or more specifically, that produces sized brass that is 0.002 smaller).

I have 2 6Brs and love them.

I use Forster dies but Redding would be OK too. I do not like Whidden dies as they feel cheap to me. Be like @Sheldon N and take out the sizing button in the FL die and then use an expander mandrel.

I like the 21st Century Reloading mandrels but the Sinclair ones are OK too.

The only reason to buy the 3 die set is if you feel you want a neck bushing die in the future. The set just adds a step in the process.

There are lots of good choices but I have really liked the Redding competition sets that I have. You can't go wrong with Redding.

Reactions: Rick7353
If you get a custom full length resize die you will need to replace it every time your replace your barrel correct?

Also what is better? Neck resizing or full length?
Only if your new barrel is cut looser than your prior. Typically when someone gets a custom die they are also getting a reamer that they will use for subsequent barrels. The harrels isnt quite custom like that and its possible that it doesnt size your cases enough but its also more likely that it will still work fine.

Full length over neck size every time.

Reactions: S3th
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 6 BR and 6BR Rem are the same. The only difference being the reamer/throat dimensions since 6 BR is made to shoot heavier grain bullets while 6 BR Remington was made to shoot lower weight bullets. I'm like 70% sure on this so don't buy anything based on what I'm saying here.

I really like my Whidden dies better than anything else I have used. I would like to try the new dies with the click adjustments to see if they are as good as advertised.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 6 BR and 6BR Rem are the same. The only difference being the reamer/throat dimensions since 6 BR is made to shoot heavier grain bullets while 6 BR Remington was made to shoot lower weight bullets. I'm like 70% sure on this so don't buy anything based on what I'm saying here.

yes this is correct. The case head dimensions might vary just slightly also. Lot of confusion that is then amplified by die manufacturers. But a set of 6br remington will size for a 6br aka 6 br norma. Harrels can give one that matches your chamber closest if you send in your brass. But off the shelf 6 br rem will get the job done.

Reactions: S3th
Using Wilson arbor dies . when I was shooting 6br . fire form and just then Neck size .
Being 6BR is very short body OAL and is pretty straight-Wall Case . So to do the minimum of brass work for body sizing . Then I used Wilson Arbor Body Die . With removable bushing, to just 'slightly bump size' the lower Case wall of the Brass .

In the last month or so, I have started reloading the 6br to use as my PRS match cartridge. I went with a redding type-s full length bushing die and micrometer seater die set from Bruno Shooting supply as they had the best price I could find for the dies and the brass. I am using a .267 bushing and have kept the expander in, but don't think it is making any contact. Try H4895 for powder if you have some. I am getting 2934fps @30.5gr under a 107smk lit by a CCI450. (start at 29.0 and max at 30.8 in quickload) 27.5" Schneider barrel

I assume these recommendations are all for Lapua brass. Anyone have experience using Peterson brass with these dies. Specifically if neck tension is different