• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What dies are you guys using for .308?

rogue308

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2009
TX
I'm getting ready to load .308 for the first time and was just wondering what the best set of dies are. I'm pretty sure I want one with a mic. So Forster? Wilson? other? Thanks for the help.

Re: What dies are you guys using for .308?

I have used Lee, Forster, LE Wilson, and Redding, get a Redding Type S FL, Type S Neck, and Micrometer Seater, I use .339 in the FL, in the neck die .336 bushing with Lapua brass, Winchester gets .332-.331

Lee collet neck sizer and RCBS micrometer seating die. RCBS FL sizer that came with the micrometer seater, but rarely used.

Redding FL sizing and Custom JLK Precision Seater

Can't go wrong with Redding

I have the Dillon Precision carbide dies. Great for reloading nickle plated and semi-auto brass. For pure accuracy, dunno. .308 isn't my main caliber.

I use a Lee collet neck sizing die, redding body die (when needed), redding comp seater.

A regular Lee full length sizer and a Forster micrometer seater. The micrometer seater is just to make depth adjustments easier, not for accuracy. I have shot many 5 shot groups near .500" (some under, some over) with these tools loading 175SMKs over around 43gr Varget in nasty looking Lake City brass with regular CCI large rifle primers. You don't have to spend a fortune on dies.

I use Dillon dies for .308 and several calibers. Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady for others.

I may pop for some precision dies, but so far I can't see anything in my load results that isn't the fault of my shooting
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding Competition </div></div>

+1 for What he said.

No doubt about it Redding is good. I have Wilson, CH, Redding, Hollywood, RCBS, Hornady and a couple others.
First thing to do is to get a Wilson Case Gage for 308. Won't hurt to get their trimmer and case holder either.
When you get your dies FL size a case with the shell holder contacting the die and drop in case gage to make sure the back of the case is even with or between the two surfaces on the back of the Wilson Case Gage. If it is not, send it back.
You also need a good micrometer and a good caliper.

I have several sets of dies for the same calibers as you will soon find out no all FL dies are chambered the same because the reamers used to cut them wear. I size cases and then record what size the base dimension is on the case .200 up from rim. I use the FL dies that sizes the fired round the least(closest to as fired) thus you don't overwork your brass and it lasts longer.

308 commercial brass will measure .465 normally and LC Brass will measure .468.

My 308 dies run .4685" thusly I can FL resize LC Match cases and they be .1/2 thou bigger than new as I ordered the reamer to make a .469" chamber. Factory chambers I think you will find will give you .471 to .473 fired cases and I have seen .475 ! ! ! !

You might as well get set up right from the getgo and not overwork your brass. With the cost of brass these days the case gage will pay for itself quick and let you know if you have bad dies (and there are plenty of them out there) as the gage will tell you every time.

Redding Type-S Match set. Either FL or NS, your choice.

Redding S-type competition neck die set with bushings .336 - .330

Forster Benchrest with micrometer seater die set. Good stuff.

I can shoot a .307 3-shot group @ 100yrds with my custom built .308, and I use an RCBS full length sizing die and an arbor press with an inline wilson seating die!

Not sure what you're trying to achieve or what kind of gun you're gonna shoot these through? If you want to spend the extra money to get a high end set, you might want to buy Forster. They seem to be as good as the Redding ones i've used, but for less money. If you were to be more specific about what guns you'd be loading for, and what kind of shooting you'll do, it would help to narrow down your choices. Also, if you just want to neck size your brass sometimes, many have got great results with the Lee collet die. They are super cheap and you won't have to mess with case lube until you need to full length size (bolt guns only).

rouge308,

I use RCBS FL Competition Die set for 308 Win coupled with a Redding Neck size die. For 223 I use a Foster FL Benchrest die set with Micrometer seating die, again with a Redding neck size die.

Both are excellent and produce accurate loads in my bolt rifles.

Bob

I'm using Lee right now for everything. I may upgrade to the micrometer dies in the future for .308 but for now Lee works fine.

sorry for not including rifle specs and info.

rifle is a custom, built by tactical rifles. 700 action 20'' krieger barrel 1-10'' twist. rifle will be used for 1000 yd target shooting and competitions.

can i get away with just full length sizing and not having to worry about the neck? i'm looking for good accuracy but this isn't a benchrest gun and i'm not going to reload for it like it is.

thanks for all the help guys.

I regulary produce 1/2 moa ammo with a set of plain jane RCBS FL dies that were made in 1979. Could I squeak out better accuracy with more expensive modern competition dies, maybe but they suffice for me.

Redding FL bushing die and Match seater.