• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What dies do I need?

BlueStateCaptive

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2010
Livingston County, NY
I want to get in on the Redding group buy. I wanna load for my Rem 5R in .308 and 5.56 for my Ar15's. What die sets are you using? The military match? Regular 3 die set? I plan to follow the sticky thread above for handloading.

Re: What dies do I need?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlueStateCaptive</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to get in on the Redding group buy. I wanna load for my Rem 5R in .308 and 5.56 for my Ar15's. What die sets are you using? The military match? Regular 3 die set? I plan to follow the sticky thread above for handloading. </div></div>

You'll load 223, not 5.56x45, for starters.

I like the Redding bushing dies for neck and FL sizing. For those times that I want to load up range brass, but still use a bushing, I'll grab the FL bushing sizer.

For Joe Blow AR-15s, You can get a standard 2 die set with perhaps a taper crimp die. Depending on the neck tension your sizing die imparts on the neck, crimping for ARs might not be a necessary step. My basic sizer puts enough tension on bullets where I don't get setback after a few chamberings.

If you're feeling bold, get a bushing FL sizing die, OR get a body die, with a neck bushing die, a few bushings and do it that way, but most of us FL size after every cycle for our ARs, for anything but match grade ammo, where just sizing the necks might be appropriate. This match grade, neck sized ammo is then intended for use with that particular weapon only.

For your 308 5R, get a Redding body die for shoulder bumps, get a bushing neck die, a few bushings and get their Competition Micro seating die. You can get this for your AR15/223 ammo if you're anal and want to be a bit more precise in seating your bullets, vs. their standard seating die.

If you have some bucks, you can always get a FL bushing die and use that for quick sizing of range pickups, in one pass.

Chris

what chris said except you might want to think about a small base sizing die for the AR if you plan on loading blasting ammo.( and working with those nasty once fired cases)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what chris said except you might want to think about a small base sizing die for the AR if you plan on loading blasting ammo.( and working with those nasty once fired cases) </div></div>

I bought a small base Redding body die off of here and the first large batch that I loaded with it, I got a lot of soot on the case bodies proper, so it might be doing too good a job.

It was cheap, but it was something I noticed. Probably not needed for most applications where one isn't shooting machine gun fired brass, with their attendant sloppy chambers.

Chris