• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What distance is your zero?

Re: What distance is your zero?

I use a 200 yd zero for my 308.
I use a 20 moa mount for my S&B. I then have the ability to either use the mil reticle Gen II XR for hold over out to 1000 yds or can use the turret out to 1000 yds for holding on the target with the center crosshairs.
With this I am not more than a few inches high less than 200 yds and can adjust my point of aim.
For shooting multiple targets between 200 and 1000 this works great.
If you are trying to shoot one hole at 100 yds then you probably want a zero at that range.

Irons/red dots:
308-43.5yards/219Yards (flattest BZ I could get)

5.56- 50Yrds/200meters

Scopes:
100 yards, both calibers.

Well if you have good dope, and an adjustable scope... then I guess my rifle is zeroed at whatever setting my turrets are on... As she sits in the safe the zero is 100yds. But in .3 seconds I could make that a 200 or EVEN 300 yd zero with a flip of the wrist.

What caliber are we talking about here?

My .308 is "zeroed" 1.5" high at 100 and it puts me dead on at 200.

Whats a zero
wink.gif
I'm at 100 for my 308

308 @ 100 yards
308 w/Leatherwood @ 200 Yards
223 @ 50 / 200
22LR @ 100= That's where the Nutria come out of their hole on the other side of the pond!!!

300 yard zero for my AR (using battlesight zero techinque for irons)

200 yard zero for the M1a w/ scope (cause I don't have a longer range to shoot right now)

Sniper Rifle - 100 yards.
Issued SBR - 25 yds.

The most common zero is probably 100 yards. But it depends on what type of shooting you are going to do and the intended use of your weapon.

I zero my semi-auto .308 at 100 yards, and my bolt .308 at 300 yards. The SA will be used mostly from 100 to 300 yards - holdovers or doping the scope is easy for those ranges. The bold is used for targets 300 to 600 yards.

Beyond 600 yards, I plan on purchasing a .338 LM and will zero that at about 500 yards and shoot that gun from 500 to 1,000 yards.

Pretty simple system for ME - your milage may vary. So you see, it all depend on what you want to do. I could zero the (future) .338 at 100 yards - but look at all the adjusting I would need to shoot out to 1000.

I recommend creating dope cards for all the various ranges no matter where you set your zero.

I like to zero as far out as the target will allow a hold shot.

Meaning, if I zero @ 500 which is 12 MOA with one rifle, the bullet will never hit above the shoulder if I shoot at the beltline. That's assuming 20" from belt to shoulder level.

Right now, I keep most of my rifles zeroed @ 300. Which is a consistent head shot out to that range and a little beyond. If necessary I can hold centermass and easily hit the target. Unless you are practicing to do this I don't see a point in dialing from 100-300. Or even 500. The 6 o'clock of centermass hold works pretty fast.

Point is, keep it zeroed as far out as typically effective where you
operate.

I have heard that 300 is best for 30 cal. type weapons as the bullet has then settled down and is giving you a true group. As i said just what i have heard. I have always done 100 yard and 500 yard for the bigger 50 cal. type weapon systems. Have a good one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #3333FF">Edit:

Shooter21, Why so mad?</span> </div></div>
Not mad at all, I just don't see the point in shooting a 338LM under 1200m. A .308 can be pushed to double what this guy is going with a decent shooter. Spend the $$$$ on ammo/components and learn to shoot before wasting it on a rifle which will never get justified. If anything try a 300WM to fill the gap between "600" and "1200"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not do both? I think it depends on the situation. I zero at 100yds and know my hold overs. If there are multiple steel targets to engage at random distance and have a time limit... I dial my scope to my 300yd zero and use the reticle. Chances are the targets are further than 300yds and at least 1-2 moa in size. I will be .8 mills high on a 100yd target and I only need 2.1 mills to hit at 600. For me its dirt simple to hold for any target 100-600yds. About any distance gets a 1/2 or 1 mill hold @ center mass.

If there is no time limit and i have the time i will dial for a dead nuts zero. I hold for windage if it is under 1 mill.

its the wind that kicks my but. </div></div>
That is what I do.

Nice reply. I hadn't actually thought of that and was looking at a 200yrd'er. Makes perfect sense. Thx!

HH - 2houses

I have my .308 zero'd out at 300M currently.

POI:
1.7Mil + @ 100m
1.0Mil + @ 200m
0.0Mil @ 300m. Then one wind on the EREK out to 900 meters. Works well for where we shoot.

Still 100m. Do you think that differs from a 100 yard zero with a .308?

Zero at 100 meters. If you are expecting your average engagements to be at 300 meters, dial on your dope for 300 meters. You can then use max point blank and/or mil holds to engage targets as they present themselves. The SASR is the only weapon I zero at 300 meters.

For the m40a5, with a 100 meter zero we were able to engage targets out to 1200 meters in Afghanistan.

100 yards for my target rifle. 200 yards for my hunting rifle

i have a zero for every hundred yards out to 1,100 fer me tree zero eight

I zero at 100 yards, and know my comeups for every hundred yards to 1300. If I don't have time to dial the scope, the reticle will get me to about 650.

200m with my 270wsm

because that's:
a) standard distance on 'my' range
b) the usual hunting distance