• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What distance is your zero?

Re: What distance is your zero?

I had thought about this and I just zeroed at 300 thinking like J Boy did. I could use the TMR to 800 I believe and would not have to dial for quick shots. But after this conversation Im thinking more.

100yds

After reading through the thread, several comments cause me to revisit the need for M2 knobs. I cannot think of one disadvantage to using them. I just wish Leupold would install them on my scopes.

As a LE sniper I have my scope zero at 100yds. Its what we train and would face in real life. I do shoot at 300 and 600yds and have my adjustments written down so I can dial them in and small sdjustments as needed. Plus if I like to check it to see if anything moved on me and 100yds is a good base.

If you have an 800 yd gun like a .308, and you're working on your LR game, say over 500 yds, then why wouldn't you set your zero around there?

Chuck Hawks would probably look at how flat the bullet shoots and figure out how far you can get with a zero hold and still have the shots strike the killzone, any distance up to that point, tell you to zero there.

100 yards. Dope is on my EREK knob. I figured all my comeups
by shooting at the farm and in competition, matched it to
ballistics program with Wendell at US Optics and had them
cut me a new knob with my elevation marks from 100 to 1200
marked with numbers every 100 and diamonds at the 50 yd marks.
It tracks well!!! Best money I ever spent.

Guys,

I read my posts and I did not tell it right. Let me explain.

When you walk up to my rifle the turrets will be set at 0 elevation and 0 windage. The Point of aim / point of impact for a 0/0 setting is at 300yds.

I do shoot at 100yds if its a new rifle an then find my dope to 300yds. Once at 300 I reset the knobs to 0/0.

Hope that clears it up some.

From my 0/0 setting I do all dope from that. So at 600yds dope its from 300 to 600. Not 100 to 600 like alot of others.

John

300 yards. All are used in hunting. It is just as easy to dial down a few if needed and it requires less turning to get to 1000 yards. In real time, it doesn't mean squat of difference between a 100 yard zero or 300 yard zero. I still need to know the target yardage, wind and be able to turn a dial. I made all my scopes the same for not having to remember which each rifles' zero was.

100 yds.

NOMAD is in the black on that one. You boys should listen up and get your logbooks out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlfw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made all my scopes the same for not having to remember which each rifles' zero was. </div></div>

Hmmm...I made 1 RIFLE for not having to remember which one to employ.

Marines are taught and use a certain zero for certain reasons. We all know who the best shooters are...BAR-NONE.

Anyone in here qualified to discount that...?

I thought not.

Ok Im still tripin on this one. I ran some numbers and taking into consideration the PBR and PBR zero, 200yrd "0" makes the most sence. I set the PBR for a 2" kill radius, a head shot, and so any thing out to 237 I can hold dead on. Past that I can use my reticle to 700 with out touching a knob. If I use a 300yrd zero I only gain 50 more yrds on the reticle and screw up the PBR thing. So just some more random thoughts.

Zero my light hunting rifles around 200. These scopes are never adjusted when I have the zero. But, I don't hunt with them anymore. I prefer my big heavy rifle. My wife uses these and never shoots past 400yards.
I zero at 100 yards. Have used mil hold overs and not adjust turret. Works, not as accurate. If I ever need 300 then I simply turn the knob on top for it. If I need 1200, I turn the knob on top for it. No matter were my zero I still have the same amount of travel unless I change my base for more cant. SO, why worry about it. Still have to know your dope.

Agreed about BZO:

When zeroed at 200 meters, a distance twice that of normal combat engagements, most rifles have a very flat trajectory that is less then 2" from line of sight at all intermediate distances; a distance that's smaller than the normal dispersion of arsenal or factory loaded ammunition. This tiny trajectory arc allows very precise shooting out to 250 meters where the bullet is only 2" below line of sight.

A 200 meter zero has the happy coincidence of an initial trajectory cross-over at 50 yards, a distance available on almost all civilian ranges including many indoor ranges. This makes it easy to achieve a 200 meter battlesight zero without recourse to surveying your own range. If 200 meters is available you can fine-tune the zero at the real distance. And should when you get the chance.

Dissenting comment ... I am not LEO, nor current military or a hunter(not now anyway). My targets are either steel or paper and for the most part my matches start at 600 yds and that is where my ZERO is. Yes, I know how many minutes to drop to 100 yds IF I am "working up" a load but as soon as I have a 100 yd group I go back to 600 and see how much difference from old load.

Sure it's nice to have a 100 yd "bughole" group BUT is that the distance you usually work ? If not then why not set up for your usual distance ?

Last but not least ... IF I did have to start shooting "critters" inside 600 yds then just aim for belt. Depending on bullet weight and load my drop is between 14-16.5" and aiming for belt will still give me a "Center-of-Mass" hit.At the worst a head shot !!
So, when you see my rifle at HR and wonder where or why the knobs are set at 0/0 then you'll know they are ready for 600.

That's my $00.02 worth.

Hello,

I have my rifle zeroed at 300yds. My knobs are set to 0/0 elevation/windage at this range. When I hunt in the woods I come down to a 100yd setting. When I hunt some of the fields I use the 300yd zero.

When I shoot beyond 300yds I come up to 400,500,600...yds. I have enough up adjustment to shoot out to ~1200yds but the farthest measured distance I have shot this rifle at is 800yds.

I used the data from ballistics programs and verified/tweaked the settings by firing at 100,200,300,400,600,800yds.

I suppose whatever range you zero at is a matter of personal preference if not limited by policy or range restrictions.

Sim

Yeah, big difference.
wink.gif

"At what range do you shoot to establish zero?" -

"At what range is your scope zeroed at?"

Interesting thread, though -

I'm "zeroed" an inch and a half high @ 100 yards, which corresponds to a dead on turret zero @ 250 yards for the .22-250

5.7" high @ a 100 is a 300 yard "zero" for the .308

Both hunting guns used for Groundhogs at long range (300 to 700 yds)

Example: a rare 100 yd shot with the .308 requires either holding 5.7" low or cranking the elevation turret down (cw) 46 1/8" clicks. (or 5 minutes + 6 clicks)

Clear as mud?
crazy.gif

TBC

300ZERO2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RGR John!!

You were confusing everyone by saying you are zeroing at 300 yards.

When in fact you were zeroing at 100 yards and putting your 300 yard dope on the weapon!!

Big difference LOL!!!

Easy fix and i think we can all say that we all do zero at 100 yards for the most part!!

</div></div>

Wow, lot's of info

I just set my .308 for 200 because i what I read here

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

I zero'd at 50 then fine tuned at 200 (didn't take much)...worked great. But since the only ranges within 2 hours of me are all 100 yards..I might readjust.

I find this to be a good method because at 50 yards I am still on for CQB encounters and then I still have my 200 zero..

Yeah, it basically depends on what distance do you engage most of your targets at and maybe to a lesser degree the caliber/load you're shooting.

And, of course, whether you're a hold over shooter or a knob twiddler. I'm a knob twiddler.
wink.gif

TBC

Mine changes, depending on a number of things.

308=200m
300rum=300m
7mm=200m
308 sub=100m
50ak=100m
12 ga=150m (to match ret.)
m1a=100
varmint 223=200
cmp 223=200
m4 223=100

Something that I don't believe I have seen taken into account on this is time to react to target. Obviously a closer hostile target is going to be more of a threat that one further away; so would it not make more sense to go with something like a 100 yard zero, so that you will be dead nuts on at anything close, just incase all you have to shoot at is a head/arm/whatever. I'd rather be real precise up close and not blow a close/fast encounter shot than I would be set at a further distance and miss a close shot due to miscalculations of hold. When you shoot at something close, quickly; your eyes almost always automatically go to the center of the crosshairs, out of instinct; having to pause to take into account hold could be bad and cost you precious time. Just my 0.02 Ameros worth.

100 yards. That is where much of my load development and range card is setup. Now, in the field, I tun it up ~2.0 MOA for a ~250 yard zero. If I were to find myself hunting closer, I could just turn it back to the 100 yard zero. Mostly depends on the type of terrain I'm hunting in.

100yds

i have data for that, my turrets set to 0 el 0 win, it's easy to spot, easy to adjust onto and makes dialing adjustments quicker and easier from 100yd.

i push out to 700yd, with alot of winding.

300 meters for scoped rifles with mil-dots

25 meters / 300 meters for iron sighted AR's.

25 meters / 300 meters for Aimpoints and EoTechs.

100 yards for ACOG. They've got to be different.

I keep it simple. I was trained at 300 meter zeros, so I stay with it. And I know the hold overs and hold unders for each round at 300 meter zeros. Also, using my mil-dots as hold over/under, I can pretty much nail anything to a fence post from 100 meters to 500 meters without adjusting my scope elevation.

As for my aimpoints/EoTech, "IF" I was to ever have to use them to defend my life, the distance is most likely going to be short, so 25 meters works out well. Learning from ACTS matches, 25 meters seems like a very good zero distance when confronted with a tactical (life defending) situation. At least it works well for me.

100 yrds... The rest is math and instinct

100 yards here, because thats the furthest range we had until recently and I just never changed it

100yds. Turrets et at zero. I have a mildot and comeup cards in the ammo cheekpiece.

Furthest distance I will probably have to engage would be maybe 300 yards.

I zero at 200 hundred I know the point of impact at 100 things are allot easier to hit at 100 so 200 is where the fine cross hairs are set.

PBR's for a 40" target:

BC Velocity Zero PBR
.400 2800 494 577
.450 2800 505 592
.500 2800 512 604
.500 3000 545 642

I am presently zeroed at 200 yards, although I can dial down to 100. Reason being is I have a 200 yard range off the grass beside the screen porch.

A 4" diameter kill zone:
.5 2950 216 253

250 for most rifles. I'm from the old Jack O'conner school where I try to max the point blank range.

50yds on AR's w/EoTechs
100yds on scoped rifles, but have been toying with 200~300yd zero for reasons rmfield mentioned.

My scope main crosshair zeroed at 200 yds. This makes the others right on using the proper range finding scales and BDC for the mil 308.

Point blank... and I get phenomenal groups!

Short range rifles are sighted at 100 all others at 200

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kombayotch, LOLOL. </div></div>

Sometimes I use the bayonet ... for that added stability...

Depends on what and where I'm shooting. My 223 is always 100 yard. My 308 is 100 yard when at the nearby range. But at Thunder Valley (especially for matches) they ask you be zeroed at 600 yards.

100 yards and set turret to 0. I am a LE Sniper and this is what was taught at the basic and advanced Sniper schools I attended. It is also a liability factor for law enforcement. Any deviation from what was taught opens the Sniper up to liability. F***in Attorneys. I am still suprised that military Snipers don't get sued for killing people. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Point blank... and I get phenomenal groups! </div></div>

My groups suck at point blank. It's about minute of tennis ball with the muzzle blast.
grin.gif

Surely that wouldn't fly on a <span style="font-weight: bold">Sniper</span> forum.