• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft What distance is your zero?

Re: What distance is your zero?

I see most of the responses here are in yards, why?

I have changed everything over to meters as it seems that is the direction we are heading.

I am using a first gen Springfield, set zero at 200 meters and is compensated for 308 match. I have found that to be accurate so far out to 600 yards so far. I haven't shot it past that yet. This is my go to rifle now by choice so I'm ok with this for hunting and I will soon wring it out to 1000. I also plan to take it to Idaho for some long range courses so this may change. My local range is maxed out at 300 meters.

100, all the time. Takes a lot of possible errors out of the equation. Easier to have room to check zero before shooting, too.

100m, for reasons already stated. My maths isn't that sharp at the best of times, so makes everthing pretty straight forward after a range back and chart confirmation.

My 0's = 100 meters on all rifles and all optics except for one 556 optic. The Eotech is zeroed at 25 meters and hits from 0 to 300 with it are point and click that way.

Also 100, though due to convenience more than anything else.

You guys all need to start thinking outside of the crosshair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My zero is bang on 100m.

I dial my scope in to shoot greater distances. </div></div>

Same here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My zero is bang on 100m.</div></div>Are you saying that your 98m and your 102m zero are different?

Maybe it’s too early in the morning for me, but I don’t understand your question?
confused.gif

My point of impact is spot on 100m or 109.36 yards in the imperial system.

I don’t hold over with my shots, I’d rather dial the scope in for any shots greater than 100mtrs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it’s too early in the morning for me, but I don’t understand your question?
confused.gif
</div></div>What caliber are you shooting? What is its trajectory at 100m? Because you might find that you are 'bang-on' at more than exactly 109.36 yards.

Like I posted above: I'm thinking outside of the crosshair.
wink.gif

100 meters for bolt gun. I prefer to dial out for range, hold for wind, but occasionally hold for range.

25 meters for 9" AR, with 75gr BTHP. Repeats zero right around 175m (according to exbal, validated on steel) lower dot on EOtech should put it right around 400m (recently traded off a 512 for an XPS2-2 waiting to get the 2 dot reticle model in the mail).

Caliber & rifle is .308 Remington 700 XCR Tactical. I’ve been shooting a variety of weight projectiles but is seems to have a taste for 168grainers so far.
I would like to try 175gr SMK one day too. Not sure what the trajectory is, I guess this is something I should know.
Does any here have a perfect load that might be able to try in my rifle?

100 yds for my MOA scopes and 100 meters for the MIl/MIl ones. All very confusing.

Zero about +1" at 100yards, dead on at 200. I'm shooting a slow twist .243 so I can at least keep the reticle on minute of coyote out to 500 if need be without much holdover. We dont worry about shots further than that and dont really practice them that much yet. Gonna wait until we start reloading for those +500 ranges.

I guess I'm old school 300 yards with my .300 WM and use the balls to brain holds . I have a .300 AAC I zero at 100 .

What distance is your zero?

Zero about +1" at 100yards, dead on at 200. I'm shooting a slow twist .243 so I can at least keep the reticle on minute of coyote out to 500 if need be without much holdover. We dont worry about shots further than that and dont really practice them that much yet. Gonna wait until we start reloading for those +500 ranges.
'Minute of Coyote' must be bigger than 'minute of duck'.

I see most of the responses here are in yards, why?

I have changed everything over to meters as it seems that is the direction we are heading.

182.88 meters on my .308 (7.62 x 51mm) and .243 (6 x 51.8mm)

when i hunted deer and bear in woods it was 45.72 meters

hunting revolver .357 (9mm) 22.86 meters

squirrel .22lr (5.6mm) 9.14 meters

target .22lr (5.6mm) 91.44 meters

turkey 12ga (18.5 mm) 27.43 meters

coyote 12ga (18.5 mm) 22.86 meters

Almost all of my rifles have 100 yard zero, just simpler for me and less shit to think about, but on my 375 Cheytac I have the NF 8x32x56, which is great for magnification (when mirage isn't bad), but it doesn't have a lot of internal adjustment so I run 40 MOA Barrett rings on a 20 MOA Stiller base which gives me roughly 1150 yard zero (plus or minus .5 MOA depending on conditions). It works out well because it's right around 20 MOA high at 100 and if I lower my magnification to double my sub tensions I have enough "hold unders" on the NP-R1 reticle to shoot anything between 100-1150 and I don't have to touch elevation knob until I get beyond 1150, and since that rifle does most of its work at distance it seems to be a very nice arrangement used in conjunction with Coldbore program on Trimble Nomad.