• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What distance is your zero?

Re: What distance is your zero?

Just did my new scope yesterday. Zero set at 100yards.
SSDS scope so I just got to get my load running right and I have the 200,300,400 all the way up to 1100 on the BDC EREK.
USO's Rule!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just did my new scope yesterday. Zero set at 100yards.
SSDS scope so I just got to get my load running right and I have the 200,300,400 all the way up to 1100 on the BDC EREK.
USO's Rule! </div></div>

Huh, all along I thought you were a BSA man. I guess your brother is the last to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just did my new scope yesterday. Zero set at 100yards.
USO's Rule! </div></div>

Huh, all along I thought you were a BSA man. I guess your brother is the last to know. </div></div>

I know you are jealous, I will let you shoot it bro! LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Point blank... and I get phenomenal groups! </div></div>

You should look up the definition of "point blank". It's not what you hear on TV. Not trying to be an ass, but it doesn't mean the target is close..

.308 300y

.223 AR15 for tac matches has an EOTech with drop reticle. Zeroed at 200y then know the holds up from there for 100, 50, 25, and closer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why not just get a 100% sold zero at 100 yards and then knowing your weapon put on your MBR or 300 yard zero and you now have 100% full use of your weapon system.

</div></div>

this makes the most sense..

get a specific, non contaminated 100yard zero, set 0/0 for that.

If you are hunting, zombies initiate contact, keep your go to bolt gun "doped" for 300 and you are good to go out 550 with COM placement.

I agree, 100 yard zero, hold overs second, dope it in after that if absolutely precision is needed.

6.5x284's and 6BR with 1/4 MOA adjustments- 1000y zero's
308Win with 1MOA adjustments - 100y zero

Chris

I zero at 100 and use holds and dope for everything else beyond. I believe the 100 zero to be the most accurate way to zero simply because the wind will not effect the round as much at one hundred. If you zero at say 300 or 600 I always have to ask myself "was that me or did the wind pick up downrange and push my round?"

Usually 200 yard zero on hunting rifles an everything else gets 100 except for 22lr which gets a 50 yd zero

My FN SPR is at 300yrds, my M-1a and AR-15 are currently at 100yrds. My .22 is at 50yrds

Just about all my rifles are zeroed at 100 yards. The rimfires at 50 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Point blank... and I get phenomenal groups! </div></div>

My groups suck at point blank. It's about minute of tennis ball with the muzzle blast.
grin.gif

Surely that wouldn't fly on a <span style="font-weight: bold">Sniper</span> forum. </div></div>

SURE it would...Nothing says "stalking ability" like being able to sneak up on your target, and point-blanking him from behind.
wink.gif

Remmy .300WM PSS : 300 yards
AR-10 : 300 yards
AR-15 : 100 yards

I am starting to use a 200 yard zero just so I don't have to deal with all the dipshits at the 100 yard range.

They all seem scared of that "long" 200 yard range. Cracks me up.

I like to zero at 100 meters to get the windage dialed in with no wind effect, then push out to 500 meters for my elevation zero. 500 is easier to hold off or dial in elevation changes up and down compared to a 100 yard zero IMHO. What would a 100 yard zero hold off look like for 1000 yards? 15 feet over the targets head?

Match LR, 100yd basic zero. Hunter MR, .30-'06 M70, 200yd zero. Hunter SR/Brush .44mag, M94 levergun 75yd zero. Shotgun SR/Brush 20ga slug Charles Daly Semi, 75yd. Match/Plink .22LR Accurized 10/22, 50yd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like to zero at 100 meters to get the windage dialed in with no wind effect, then push out to 500 meters for my elevation zero. 500 is easier to hold off or dial in elevation changes up and down compared to a 100 yard zero IMHO. What would a 100 yard zero hold off look like for 1000 yards? 15 feet over the targets head? </div></div>

I have to admit, if I was in a battle zone that zero would make sense.... gives the most flexibility in quick engagements.

Assuming centerfire,the only chamberings I shoot that don't get at least a 200yd zero are the Hornet and K-Hornet(150yds).

I maximize zero,as per particular flight characteristics of a given system,but am never more than 2.5" high at 100yds.

300y with Horus ret. I can hold under for 100y, over for the rest. When I shoot to 1000 I add 3.1 mils to change it to a 600y zero so that I'm not so far down in the reticle on my holds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Point blank... and I get phenomenal groups! </div></div>

My groups suck at point blank. It's about minute of tennis ball with the muzzle blast.
grin.gif

Surely that wouldn't fly on a <span style="font-weight: bold">Sniper</span> forum. </div></div>

SURE it would...Nothing says "stalking ability" like being able to sneak up on your target, and point-blanking him from behind. </div></div>

is that a precision tactic, or a prison tactic? :) I crack myself up sometimes...

I zero my rifle at 50 when I first buy it then 100 then use a zero in the middle range of what ever the longest to shortest I will be using if that is 100 to 1000 then 500 or 600 zero.

i set my preliminary zero at 100yards. dial in my come up to 260(this gives me max point blank range). shoot to verify at 260. adjust only for elevation correction if needed at 260. reset zero turret. based on jbm data for my round out of my gun, i can now hold a mildot low for 0-150 yards .5mildot low for 200, .5 mildot high for 300, 1 mildot high for 350...so on,so forth to around 700. anyway these are rough holdovers for hurried shots... i also have logbook with comeups to dial in when time allows. actually these are work in progress requiring lots of varied distance shooting to confirm at intervals. but thats more or less my method.

depends on your set up. id say 308 100 yards 338 lm 200 yards my .50 is zero t 300 so i think it depends on what type of shooting your doing

My AR & M1A are set for battle sights. I haven't got to shoot my Rem 700 P 300 wm enough to decide, but probably will be around 300 yds after I get a good load or 2 worked up.

.308win @600 yds, 1.) so i can hold for any range 2.) if i want to dial im not doing multiple turns. 1000 yds is only about 6mil instead of ~12mil. 800 is an easy hold, 100 yds is far from the horizontal axis at about -4.4 but who needs wind holds at 100?

I go with 200 yard zero....2 inches high at 100 yards...8 inches low at 300 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308crosshairs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I go with 200 yard zero....2 inches high at 100 yards...8 inches low at 300 yards.
</div></div>

That is just about the exact setup i have for my 308s, 3006s, and 300 win mags plus or minus an inch at 300 yards. Makes it easy to remember if I am in a rush.

mine has always been 100 due to dope... but 200 sounds like a pretty solid move, will have a play with that

AR in .223 at 25m with irons..
.300WM at 150yd or 3" high at 100yd...less holdover at 200-300yd.

Everything else pretty much at 100yd.

.308 at 100yds then check'd come-ups to 200, 300, 500, 600 and 900.

Always verified when I change batch on ammo.

All written down on a scope dope inside my flip-up...cos I have a BAD memory!

I'd say it's mett-tc on this one. Using an M107 to engage out to 1500 meters? Probably zero it at 300 or 400, especially with a 1/4 minute elevation you'll be cranking all day if you have multiple targets at long ranges and you zero at 100.

Using an m24 with a rail system? It probably adds ~20moa to your base, depending on your scope you might not have enough elevation to get down to 100 with that added 20 moa, probably best to zero at 300 and hold off or have the spotter take that shot inside 300 provided he has an spr of some sort.

I don't think that there is ever a single best range to zero at.

edit: dont forget to consider your ao - in the city? probably wont have many long shots, however we did have one so who knows. out in the valleys/mountains? you'll probably be pushing that round for all it's worth, might want to push your zero out a bit further.

My long guns with the 2 aforementioned exceptions and ar are zeroed at 100 meters