• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft What distance is your zero?

Re: What distance is your zero?

I think the zero depends upon intent, we need more information to make that determination.

If you're shooting groups at the public range...100 yards. Easier to shoot groups with the cross hairs dead on.

If you're practicing sniping at Thunder Ranch...600 yards. You can easily use comeups for the range you need.

If you think it might be the gun to use for social instability...200 yards. Most urban areas don't have shooting opportunities further than 200 yards.

If you itend to hunt with it...300 yards. The bullet strike will be close enough for any practical hunting situation, you can hold dead on.

5.56-M4 zeroed at 100yds to cover the yard,
.308-Rem700 zeroed at 200yds to cover the neighbor's yards.
pistolie at 7yds to cover the room.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roymorrison</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say it's mett-tc on this one. Using an M107 to engage out to 1500 meters? Probably zero it at 300 or 400, especially with a 1/4 minute elevation you'll be cranking all day if you have multiple targets at long ranges and you zero at 100.

Using an m24 with a rail system? It probably adds ~20moa to your base, depending on your scope you might not have enough elevation to get down to 100 with that added 20 moa, probably best to zero at 300 and hold off or have the spotter take that shot inside 300 provided he has an spr of some sort.
</div></div>

Every M24 I ever dealt with to include my own had a flat base, not a 20 moa. Could dial down to 100 meters but we still zeroed at 500 meters instead.

At one point we did have 1/4 moa click scopes on our Barretts but we switched them out before long for larger adjustments. We zeroed them at 500 meters as well for easier hold-offs.

My 40XB .308 is zero'd for 300 yards with come downs/ups in 50 yard increments from 100 yards to 1000 yards, my 6.5X55 TPG-1 is zero'd at 100 meters and using 50 meter increments come ups to 1000 meters.
I suppose you zero your rifle for whatever range your going to encounter targets mostly at and work off that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308 Newb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you just get a "true" zero at 100, dial in your 200 yrd dope, and then re-zero your knobs? Then wind would not be a factor? </div></div>

Exactly what I did with my Savage in .223.

quick question for whom ever....marine cmp's teach that a 223 isnt effected by wind till 300, on the range we teach the same thing, no wind call at the 200 unless its gale force winds. are 270, 308, 300 win mag and all the other preferred cals that effected by wind that you need wind calls at the 1, 2, and 300 marks?

.308...160M (155 scenar @ 2950fps)
6XC...180M (105 scenar @ 3120fps)
.338LM...200M (250 scenar @ 3100fps)

most typical shooting ranges allow only for a 100 yd shot. It is relatively easy to work from that as a base so I leave mine @ 100yd

I have my rifle sighted in at 300 meters simply because it is more accurate than a 100 meter sight in. All variables get pronounced at 300 so a slight error in vertical adjustment that might not be visible at 100 meters is very visible att 300 meters.

In the comps I participate in, 2 cm high att 100 meters is still a center hit but 6 cm high at 300 meters isn't.

In my self, I have also seen a mental edge of the 300 zero. I feel calmer and more confident in engaging long range targets when my zero is closer to the actual distance.

Lastly, I also belive that spin drift will be less pronounced when your zero is further out.

The kind of shooting I do is hunting and competitions between 100-650 meters.

BR Marcus

mine is 100 and i just use dope for all the rest

All my rifles are zeroed at 100yds unless the ret. starts at 200 as in the zeiss z600 and z800.

50 yds on the 2 rifles i own:

.223 16" AR-15 (scope is has 10 mils of hold over in the reticle)

.22 Ruger 10/22

i like the 50 yds zero because at 200yds the ar15 is right back to point of aim. i hold under about an inch or so for 100yd shots @ the local range, i.e. aim at lower part of soda can & hit it in the middle. i'd probably go with a 2-300 yds zero on a .308, but i've never owned one

.223 Rem R700 200yd
7.62NATO/.308 Win 100m
.243 Win 200yd
.22-250 Rem 200yd
.300 Weatherby 300yd
.416 Barrett 800yd (its dad's but I confiscated it)

Rock River Carbine .223 (govt issue 14") EOTEC 50 yards POI to 200 yds

Rem PSS .308 100 yds, 200 yds 300 yds

M25 300 yds

200yds, I shoot a lot of service rifle and 200 yds. works well with my 280 AI and 300 Rum. for POA.

This will prob make you wonder but mine is zeroed at 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000 and one position left for future use. I'm using a Variable Gantry 10 position mount that lets me preset at 10 differnt distances for Zero. Then using my plexes it covers the distances in between based on my trajectory charts so no adjustment of the scope is needed.

Like others have said, your zero needs to be based on what your equipment and type of shooting you will be doing. Some scopes have plexes/subtensions or dots that would let a shooter cover all their needed ranges with no adjustment. Others with better equipment may be able to zero closer and crank in adjustments as needed reliably. I don't have a good scope option so I needed a way to bypass cranking on my scope for differnt settings.

Topstrap

The 5 position mount does sit on top of your regular mount and is higher but the 10 position is machined to fit right on top of the action. Chris (the maker) says he has no problem with the heights of the mounts on his rifles even without an adjustable cheekpiece. That isn't a problem for me since I don't have to worry about cheek weld and it being a bit higher above my bore line doesn't matter since each distance is preset. The trajectory charts work out nearly perfect when calculating the hold but many have commented on it being high above the bore but is a non issue at least in my setup.

The mount on the left gun (7-08) is the 5 position and the one on the right (260) is the 10 position.

newmountsabove.jpg

Topstrap

Interesting concept with Variable Gantry 10 position mount. I have a scope with zero-stop. So I zero at both 100 yards by setting zero-stop there, and at 200 yards by setting dial "0" there.

For all these hold-over/hold-under calculations (<span style="font-style: italic">Lindy, I read your article on this!</span>), how much does your cartridge's load (<span style="font-style: italic">bullet weight, powder type, MV etc.</span>) affect these hold-overs/unders? I shoot a .308 w/168gr. SMK's.

Ah, so I have to figure out all those hold-overs on my own. You're example was just that...an example. Thanks!

Topstrap,
I would love to shoot one of those on the short course!
Can't afford to work on the others right now, but I know how much fun it is.
We are still talking about you guy's!
My pistol scopes are 2's and 4's.

Thanks

Average target range for course can come into play too.
Short is 300 plus and long is 550.
longest target is around 1150. bonus 10 point for 1650, all five in under 8 min.(two man team, both shooting)
Working on zero for different gun on short course
As I said before, we call in MOA.

My range is 100 yards so gather zero data there. Then dope as required. Using Litz's G7 data .223 rem with both Hornady 68gr and Sierra 69gr HPBT was within 1 click (.285moa on my gun) at 570 yards (1.7" low) (both 25.0gr varget and within 1 click zeros) Was a first round hit, up 1 click then dead on.
When setting for Coyote hunting use come up for 250 yard dope then never above 3.0" and only 3.7" low @300 yards. Hold dead to 300 ok.

100 yard zero for me. All of my information and learning has been from 100 yards, so I am comfortable with it.

That, and I don't want to walk 2 or 300 yards to check my targets. LOL!!

Set up at 100 yards. Around here it is really hard to find a shot over 350 anyhow.

100 meters use data to go up in 25 meter increments to 1000 meters