• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you carry in your data book?

Fatorangecat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2012
Amanda, Oh
I'm new to long range shooting and I'm about to order a data book. Should I order a mildot master, stencil, slope doper? What do you actually use when you shoot? What do you carry with your book?

Every shooter is different and everyone's needs are different. That's why Impact Data Books offers so many options to give you the shooter the ability to build your own custom book.

Our premade book is designed to give you all the basic shapes and targets that every shooter uses, circles, squares, silhouettes, cold bore tracking, unknown distance pages, blank pages. We have packed our books with stuff you need and take out the fluff or pages you wont use a lot of. Our tables, charts, and reference material will give you everything you need if you are a tactical shooter, hunter, or military or law enforcement sniper as well.

The best part is you can always add more or anything else you may want or need to really get your book the way you want or need it.

If you need any more help or have questions please feel free to give me a call when you are free and I can help you out.

Happy shooting

The Impact Data Book looks like the way to go. I'm leaning towards the all in one package you offer. At this point I don't even know enough to know what I need!

The Impact Data book all in one is a really good place to start. I use his data books in all my rifles and really like them. Reasonable on prices an really modular, although I usually just keep the blank pages in hand, they have a ton of pre made target pages to use.

I use the stencil, Mildot Master and data book regularly. Haven't had much use for the slope doper as most range finders have this feature but it is a good backup.

I love the reticle hold pages and having a dope page for each type of round you fire is great as well.

Add a good pen and a small notepad and you will be set.

The Impact Data book all in one is a really good place to start. I use his data books in all my rifles and really like them. Reasonable on prices an really modular, although I usually just keep the blank pages in hand, they have a ton of pre made target pages to use.

I use the stencil, Mildot Master and data book regularly. Haven't had much use for the slope doper as most range finders have this feature but it is a good backup.

I love the reticle hold pages and having a dope page for each type of round you fire is great as well.

Add a good pen and a small notepad and you will be set.

The reticle hold pages are bad ass.

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys.

The All in One Sniper Kit is the best way to get everything you will end up buying and need all in one shot. You also end up saving a few books as well buying it in the kit as well.

Happy Shooting from the leaders in data book production.

I have and like the Impact Data Book. What I like about it is it is set up so it would cover just about any shooting you plan on doing, for any rifle you use. From High Power, Precision Rifle, even hunting. Limited only by your imagination.

I'm one of those who believe you cannot get too much data, I preach if a fly goes by as you shoot, record it. Record Everything. The IDB is a good start.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the people who put out the IDB, I don't know any of them, I don't sell them. Actually I'm a user not a seller. I do coach and conduct courses, I'm big on Data/Score books.

I have had several data books over the years, but Impact are imo the best. I have one for each of my rifles and phased out the others. the custom pages you can get from them are great

and plus 1 more for the reticle hold page, I seem to refer to that more than I thought I would

Another vote for Impact Data.
Plus mildot master and stencils.
Really...they seemed to have it covered, why try and re-invent the wheel?

I used a enclosed zipped data book cover with Impact Data Books for each of my rifles. I have 3 guns in both my covers and of course I also have 2 cans of dip and a spare pair of glasses:)

Decoy that's some good stuff buddy!

Tony,

Not to complain or anything but errrrr I really like your product but can you start shipping it with Copenhagen pouches?

We will see what we can do lol

I use Storm Tactical Data books the ones inside a zip up cover it has a few small pockets inside I like them.

Along with my data books I have a slope doper a small rule and a protractor as well as a good pen or pencil.

I also have a Kestrel it's not necessary but it makes it easier.

Thats about all I have other than rifle and ammo.

Last edited:
Another vote for Impact Data - I've been very pleased with mine!!

Glad we can offer shooters data books and gear that work for their individual shooting needs.

That is and has always been the goal of Impact Data Books from the start.

Be looking out in the next few days for a bunch of new products coming from the leaders in data books.

I recommend the Rite in the Rain paper its a little bit thicker, less likely to rip if your pages start blowing.

That said its kind of a pain to write on. A regular pencil or ball point works better than the Rite in the Rain pen.

Rifle Data, Rounds Fired, Maintenance Log pages are useful.

You know what you will be using for targets and at what ranges, your target choice preferences will fill the bulk of the book and Impact covers just about every choice.

Other junk I have in the zip cover includes allen wrenches for KAC sights/S&B turrets. Manual for scope, sight wrench for AR front site, small compass, pen/pencil.

Be nice to have some air freshner in there. I find I will typically contemplate what the results of a range session are while sitting on the can.

I use a combo of storm and impact pages. Some things I like better about each (setup, pages, target types, etc). I've got both, and just made what works best for me.

I started with a Magpul Data Book in a Triad Tactical cover. I added a home-made reticle page in full and half-power for my SFP scope and some blank pages because I tend to scribble notes to myself and no matter how well a data book is laid out I'm never in the section of the book I need to be putting that random thought in, so I make random notes then transfer them later to their appropriate position in the book. I've also added some blank laminated pages for making hasty range cards/dope notes.
I keep acetate pens (wet-erase markers), small calculator, target stencils, mildot master, scope tools, lens cleaning supplies, spare ear-plugs, and spare cigs and lighter. The kestrel has it's own dry box (I found that one of those cigar travel cases works perfect).
Depending on what type of shooting you're doing I like the reference page/s with the sizes of common objects to help with milling.

When I'm CONUS this next time I hope to work through my existing book and pull out some of the stuff I don't need to make room for some pages from Impact that will be more useful to me.

As much as I've always valued data books, I've found myself getting kind of lazy using the Horus Kestrel. I have resolved to be better about the data book in the future.