• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What do you carry?

EngineeringTheShot

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2011
Kentucky
I have done a few searches and couldn't really find anything that pertained to my question. I have recently gotten my CCW and I am in the market for a pistol that can fulfill my needs, but I am kind of picky. I have been eying a CZ-75b Compact at my local gun dealer and I like it a lot, the only problem is that the grips don't feel that great, if houge made a grip for the compact model then I would have already bought the gun but as it is right now I am still on the fence. So, I was wondering what some of you guys carried so I could do some more research and maybe find something that I like better.

Thanks for the replies,
Aaron

Re: What do you carry?

I carry a Les Baer SRP or a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. I love 1911's because they are slim for concealment, yet very comfortable to shoot. Every person is different, so feel as many different types as you can. What works for one, may not work for another.

What drove me to the CZ in the first place was that I am, like I said, kind of picky. I currently don't reload or have the means to so I am set on a 9mm because I can practice with it the most. I also really like a SA/DA trigger. I am not against polymer per say, its just that I have very finicky hands, I have had to replace the grips on all the pistols I own so that they would fit my hands nicely. Due to most likely needing to replace the grips, that pigeon holes me into a metal frame.

I carry a M&P full size 9mm on duty and a M&P compact 9mm for my CCW and love them. They come with 3 different grip inserts so they fit just about everyone.

I carry a baseball bat with 265 sheetrock screws sticking out of it. Haven't had to swing it in anger- yet.

I have never really noticed the "extreme" difference in grips. For my personal use, "close enough" is CLOSE ENOUGH. I will say that I'm no precision hand gun marksmen by any means. I did see in another thread however the RAT grip and feel that (although I don't have one and have never felt one) ... it would be a very good option for a grip replacement if you like a gun and don't like the grip it comes with.

before you buy a cz 75 dry fire one,the trigger pull is loooooong,even in single action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EngineeringTheShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What drove me to the CZ in the first place was that I am, like I said, kind of picky. I currently don't reload or have the means to so I am set on a 9mm because I can practice with it the most. I also really like a SA/DA trigger. I am not against polymer per say, its just that I have very finicky hands, I have had to replace the grips on all the pistols I own so that they would fit my hands nicely. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Due to most likely needing to replace the grips, that pigeon holes me into a metal frame.</span></span> </div></div>

No, it doesn't necessarily do so. The HK P30 has three different back straps and three different lateral inserts to offer nine separate grip adjustments to fit a wide variety of hands.

lgp303.jpg

Rather than the exception, adjustable grips are becoming the norm.

One thing you might wont to look at is what holsters are avalible for the CZ. That might help you decide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dsink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing you might wont to look at is what holsters are avalible for the CZ. That might help you decide. </div></div>

+1. You can't easily carry what you can't holster.

Look around and you may find something better than that CZ. Bear in mind that there are range guns, and then there are carry guns.

I use a Sig P229, my brother a Walther P99. Much different in terms of feel, both solid options. The Walther has changeable backstraps.

Kimber Solo. The grips seem slick, but I have not issues with grip while firing it. Since I carry IWB, the smoothness of the gun is helpful.

I have been very happy with my Glock 26. Conceals fairly easily and I am very confident in the fact that it always goes boom when I pull the trigger.

I ocassionally carry a Makarov 9X18. I know most people don't like the 9X18. The only draw back to me anyway is the Mak is heavy.

Kahr CW9 most of the time. Light, slim, reliable.

SA1911 Loaded full-size or Champion at times. Not light but slim and reliable. Plus it's a 45 cal.

Occasional depending on apparel a Ruger LCP 380, when I just want to grab something and throw it in a pocket. Not the best choice but something is better than nothing.

Had a Glock 27 but added the floor plate to carry one extra. sold that due to Dept issuing off duty wepons. New Chief, we carry what we want. So I got a Glock 23 as it only adds 1/4" in length to the grip over the 27 I had and it gives me 13+1. I love it. Also Blackhawk Serpa CQC and Crossbreed IWB Holsters

Thank you everyone for all the replies, I have dry fired the CZ and I kind of like it plus the dealer has some IWB holsters that fit it. To all those that carry Glocks, that is cool, I wish I liked them, but I just cant stand the trigger, same with the Kahr and the Sig DAK's. If Glock ever made a DA/SA I would be first in line especially with the changes that came with the gen 4, I am just not a fan of that long pull every time. Veer G thank you for posting the HK P30, I will have to look into that.
Again thank you everyone for posting,
Aaron

I either carry a HK 45C, Sig P229 E2, or a Rohrbaugh R9. FWIW, the baseball bat with sheetrock screws is an interesting idea.

I carry my M&P 340 in 357. Packs plenty of punch, weighs next to nothing, and fires everytime. I just bought a Springfield Armory EMP .40 but the thing is no where near reliable. Just needs some minor work. Disappointing considering the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In a carry gun I don't worry to much about concealment, I want something I can shoot well. Little guns are hard enough to shoot without the adrenalin pumping. Glock 22 for me.</div></div>
I agree with Mr. Moroni here. I tend to focus more on the "carry" than the "concealed" (although I know there are differing opinions on that point). With that being said, I typically carry a Sig 220 Compact, but also rotate in an S&W Airweight .38+P from time to time. If you carry a pistol the size of a quarter, but can't hit shit with it, you might as well just carry a knife... IMHO... it's worth what you paid for it.

Good luck.

I mostly carry a Sig 239 in 9mm. Slim and light. If I feel the need for more, I go with my Springfield 1911. Both single stack's. Make every round count! JPG

OP, I recommend you go to your local gun store/range and rent as many guns as you can afford. Then, go back another time and rent your favorite three or four again.

What one person carries may or may not be a great choice for you. The only way you'll figure it out is by shooting them.

I mostly carry a 4" or 5" 1911 in .45 ACP (I like the Kimber Tacticals) when clothing provides sufficient concealment or I'll be working in an unknown or dangerous area. Sometimes I switch out and carry the wife's S&W .38+P Airweight - the more I carry the S&W, the more I want one for myself.

I used to carry my HK USP Compact .40 but it was just to big. I recently picked up a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 and love it. Small, compact, 6+1, built in laser, etc. All in all a greatlittle package and really well priced at $350. Definitely worth checking out.

The thickness of the gun and the grip length are the most important dimensions to carrying concealed...not so much the frame or barrel length. The carry rig is very important as well, suggest looking at Crossbreed holsters with their velcro backed gun belts and velcro clips...or similar rig with stiff gun belt. Clothing and your body build are also important as to the size of firearm that you can conceal.

I would start with what you shoot the best, then go from there. Everything is a compromise, a smaller and lighter gun is easier and more comfortable to carry but everyone wishes that they had a full-sized stainless steel handgun when you have to shoot it. Just need to figure out want works for you.

Also, don't forget that you should factor carrying at least one extra magazine. Everyone loves the high capacity double stacks for lots of rounds, but it is a lot tougher to conceal a double sack magazine than a single stack. In fact, I find it easy and comfortable to carry up to three 8-round 1911 magazines in the same pants pocket, but even one double-stack mag is uncomfortable and difficult for me to conceal. But others may disagree.

For me, a commander sized 1911 with a full bobtailed grip is just about the perfect balance of everything. If that fits your fancy, take a look at S&W 1911 E-series...great value with lots of extras.

I know that you've heard this already, but shoot it before buying. I like CZ but consider that it is a double stack and has a DA/SA which is not consistant and takes a little more practice to shoot accurately. There are 1911s that are chambered in 9mm as well. Also take a look at H&K p2000 with LEM trigger.

Yes CZ makes a single action for 75, and that maybe something for you to consider. DA/SA in CZ is just more commonly available.

+1 on the Glock 23. Not my favorite Glock but easy enough to conceal but big enough to be comfortable in my hand. 14 rounds is nice for spraying and praying as I'm running away.
laugh.gif

Off duty:

Glock 19 > G19 gets carried more than anything.
Kimber 1911

BUG at work :

S&W 442

In the mountains or deserts:

Glock 21
S&W 4" or 5" Model 29

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody carries a wheel gun? </div></div>

Yes:

012-5.jpg

4" M29:
CityOfRocks197.jpg

CityOfRocks198.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody carries a wheel gun? </div></div>

009-2.jpg

026-1.jpg

Carter,

I practice shooting at jacks with my wheelguns. They are tough little targets and they do not stand still for long. I like to refer to it as "Performance on Demand". There are no excuses.

If you get to where you can hit a running jack with a wheelgun, or any handgun, larger targets seem less challenging.

This guy below was a rifle kill though. It is good centerfire rifle practice too. Shotguns are cheating, too easy.

Oct2407YotehuntSanitized.jpg

When you reach mad Ninja level with a 44 magnum, try to only make headshots. Old pics from 06. I need to throw my camera in my bag on my next bunny busting safari:

dec2006213.jpg

So much bad advice in this one. I don't take pictures of my handguns because they are in my waistband where they belong. Guess it's reading comprehension day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: no clue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had to replace the grips on all the pistols I own so that they would fit my hands nicely.</div></div>
This is not the goal. It's not the first concern. It ranks up there with do you like the color?

The best way I can explain is:
A good golf grip is uncomfortable.
Carrying a gun in your waistband is uncomfortable.
Properly fit and tightened running shoes are uncomfortable.
A properly adjusted bicycle seat is uncomfortable.
Using a pencil is uncomfortable.

After a while this uncomfortable feeling goes away. Muscle memory is created and what was once uncomfortable now feels 'right'. It is the new benchmark for how it is supposed to feel. Carrying a gun isn't some tactile treat for the senses. If you have hands larger than those if a small child you too can use a glock 9mm proficiently.

Get a glock 19. And a good holster which is made of kydex (my preference goes to Comp-tac for IWB stuff). And some new pants that you've tried on with the gun and holster. And a new belt because your old belt won't fit or won't look right. Get up in the AM and put it on and wear it all day. In a month go clothes shopping as you will have a better idea what cuts of pants and brands work better than others and so on.

You don't need an additional mag pouches with the glock, especially in the beginning. Kydex holsters usually have some sort of 'click' feeling when the weapon is fully inserted. They also have better retention than leather, faster draws, and are maintenance free. Downside is they scratch frames, and require replacement at intervals because they break. Comp-tac's usually break a fair share of plastic belt clips. So buy spares.

I know you aren't enamored with the glock because it isn't special, and you think your carry gun should be just like you. Buy the glock used, get a gen 3 not a gen 4. In a few months you can sell the glock for the same price you paid after carrying it every day, sweating all over it, never cleaning it, scratching it, shooting the piss out of it, and otherwise hating it every second. Someone will eagerly buy it. Then you will at least have a clue.

Of course practicing shooting the speedy little suckers with your primary carry guns is never a bad deal:

dec2006051.jpg

The pic below is with a G34 shooting 124 grain Gold Dots. Trying to hit the jacks as they duck and dodge in and out of the cover of the sagebrush in the pitch dark is great training. It really shows what great aids that a white light/laser combo mounted to a gun is. Switching back and forth between the mounted combo and a handheld light is "enlightening" for some...

thrabbitsmarch05.jpg

I carry a Glock 26. My idea was 'you can't make a Glock 19 smaller, but you can make a Glock 26 bigger' It's small enough to conceal almost anywhere. I've thrown it in my back pocket numerous times. All Glock 9mm mags will fit it.

im a big fan of the .45 acp i bought a glock 30 sf recently and it seems to be comfortable and as usual always dependable

Glock 23 with Heine straight 8 night sights. Not too big, not too small, snag free, and so far no malfunctions with any type of ammo.

I would like to just buy a lock and be done with it but to me it is like holding a brick. I really like the kahr k9 i just wish the trigger was lighter.