• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What do you carry?

Re: What do you carry?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EngineeringTheShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to just buy a lock and be done with it but to me it is like holding a brick. I really like the kahr k9 i just wish the trigger was lighter. </div></div>

It's not at all important what it feels like. Again. You've missed the point.

I am a systems analyst by trade. As such, I analyze the shit out of everything. Over the years I've had many different thoughts on the ideal carry gun. I had a tiny Kimber 1911 for a while - it was still pretty big and heavy to carry around in your pants. Then I got a G26 which is a great little gun. But still, it's pretty big and heavy to carry around in your pants. I've had a few other too.

Here's some thought on 1911s. Sure, John Moses Browning designed the 1911 to be carried cocked and locked...INTO COMBAT. NOT IN YOUR PANTS. Seriously, do you think he thought it would be prudent to carry his masterpiece cocked and locked inside your pants? Just sayin'...flame away.

HK P7 in a pager pal crotch holster is pretty good, but still pretty heavy. At least you're not going to shoot yourself in the dick with one of these.

Here's the thing: I am not in military or law enforcement. So I am not preparing to go into battle. If I were, I'd take a rifle. I doubt I will ever end up in a prolonged shootout. But I might possibly be the victim of some kind of personal assault like a carjacking or mugging. So what I need is a tiny carry gun that doesn't print and isn't heavy. If I do get into the shit, it will most likely be at arm's length and I can most likely put my little pea shooter in my attacker's ear or belly button and pop a couple off. So in the end...it's a Keltec P32. It's a piece of shit, but it's tiny and easy to carry. I can put it in my pocket wearing shorts in the summer time and unless I have to go through a metal detector no one will know I'm armed. I know it's just a wimpy little .32. But I bet those Cor-Bons will do wonders in someone's belly button or ear.

$0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a Les Baer SRP or a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. I love 1911's because they are slim for concealment, yet very comfortable to shoot. Every person is different, so feel as many different types as you can. What works for one, may not work for another. </div></div>

What he said, I love the 1911 platform. I have a S&W 1911 that stays with me at all times

Was registering here and noticed this thread so I just wanted to chime in.

Buddy at work carries the HK P30 and loves it, and I loved the feel but I couldnt drop a grand for a gun with all that I still needed but its definitely very nice for CC.

I personally carry a Springfield Xd9 sub compact, it feels very similar to the p30 to me and it shoots like a dream, I love it 10x more than my Glock 17 and its the perfect size even with the smaller magazine and it was a steal of a price (paid $500 locally for it brand new, current gen) Having never fired it before it felt very natural and I was doing 4" rapid fire groups at 7yds with it the moment I got it. Very nice gun, smooth with less kick than I expected and fits my hands well (I have somewhat large hands). The holster it comes with is crap though, but its not a CC holster so it doesn't matter really.

WC45.jpg

I understand what you are saying, I do, however I am trying to tell you where I am coming from. I have small hands, I mean really small. I cannot hold a glock comfortably and because of that I am not accurate with it. If I bought one and put thousands of rounds through it I am sure I would get better at it. But to me, I cant justify dropping half a grand on a gun that I shoot like crap straight out of the box especially if my life depends on my accuracy.

And I'm going to argue if you shoot a glock 19 like crap you shoot all auto loaders like crap. Your problem is you shoot like crap. Good thing for you is that can be fixed, and quite easily.

I'll also argue if a 95lb woman with 15lb fake tits can be taught to run a glock 19 then you surely can. If my 60 something year old mother and 87 yr old grandmother who both have arthritis, can't carry more than one plastic bag of groceries in each hand can too, well you get the picture. There isn't going to be some gun someone suggests that you are going to pick up and will magically fell like a good blowjob and turn you into a laser. If there was that's what we would all be using. Come on now.

Or how about a thai girl? Everyone knows how small they are...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CgPFe2bbyk

Or perhaps a an 11 year old girl? She's got a bunch of videos, and I'm positive her hands are smaller than yours.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCuvmbeX8t0&feature=related

You asked for advice, but you are just like all the other posters here lately. You aren't listening to what you are being told. So now I've shown you. If 11yr old McKenzie can run a glock 19 then you can too. Stop thinking. Get to doing.

I am not quite sure what to say, I didn't realize that it was an unwritten rule amongst the gun community that if you didn't shoot a Glock you were the spawn of Satan and hated America. All I said in my original post was what I was looking at and asked what other people carried. And now I am apparently a shitty shot because I don't like how a glock fits in my hand. If the Glock is the be all end all then what is the point of having other gun manufacturers? You shoot a Glock, thats cool and more power to you but I don't like them. I didn't realize it was such an off the wall concept that you can shoot a gun more accurately if you can hold it better, I guess thats why you see so many guns out there with a 2 inch grip. I understand this is kind of a smart ass post but I mean come on man I am just looking to see what other people carry so I can see if it might work for me. I didn't realize I was shitting in your cheerios by not just settling with a Glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haji hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
28w2o3o.jpg
</div></div>
Now that is what I want to conceal.

You're an engineering student. I'm arguing you have no real frame of reference so you need to build a foundation. That's what you're doing in school right?

A gun that is tolerant of mistreatment, improper cleaning, improper lubrication, and which would be a economical choice to learn on would be the perfect fit for you to build this foundation. I keep screaming Glock because there is nothing better for that role. It's got built in training wheels if that makes sense. There isn't a more forgiving entry level option.

Keep in mind a good many members who have posted in this thread shoot more in a month than you have ever shot. What they do, or I do, isn't necessarily right for you to do. Not yet. Walk before you run sort of thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EngineeringTheShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not quite sure what to say, I didn't realize that it was an unwritten rule amongst the gun community that if you didn't shoot a Glock you were the spawn of Satan and hated America. All I said in my original post was what I was looking at and asked what other people carried. And now I am apparently a shitty shot because I don't like how a glock fits in my hand. If the Glock is the be all end all then what is the point of having other gun manufacturers? You shoot a Glock, thats cool and more power to you but I don't like them. I didn't realize it was such an off the wall concept that you can shoot a gun more accurately if you can hold it better, I guess thats why you see so many guns out there with a 2 inch grip. I understand this is kind of a smart ass post but I mean come on man I am just looking to see what other people carry so I can see if it might work for me. I didn't realize I was shitting in your cheerios by not just settling with a Glock.</div></div>

Why do you give a shit about what other people carry? Why don't you go to a range, rent a few compact pistols, and find out what you shoot well. You may find you shoot a pistol very well that doesn't feel all that comfortable. Not to say I am 100% Glock all the time but, I hated the way they felt in my hands I would much prefer to shoot a Sig 229 over a G23. That is to say until I shot a g23, I realized I liked it considerably more even though it felt like shit. But seriously it wasn't all that long before it was extremely comfortable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EngineeringTheShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not quite sure what to say, I didn't realize that it was an unwritten rule amongst the gun community that if you didn't shoot a Glock you were the spawn of Satan and hated America. All I said in my original post was what I was looking at and asked what other people carried. And now I am apparently a shitty shot because I don't like how a glock fits in my hand. If the Glock is the be all end all then what is the point of having other gun manufacturers? You shoot a Glock, thats cool and more power to you but I don't like them. I didn't realize it was such an off the wall concept that you can shoot a gun more accurately if you can hold it better, I guess thats why you see so many guns out there with a 2 inch grip. I understand this is kind of a smart ass post but I mean come on man I am just looking to see what other people carry so I can see if it might work for me. I didn't realize I was shitting in your cheerios by not just settling with a Glock. </div></div>

Calm down there skippy. If you don't like Glock, then that's cool. I hated the grip too, until I shot one, now I own one. I had a Sig P220 and while I did like the DA/SA in the beginning, I hated it in the end. That DA pull can throw you off and that first shot is really gonna count. The Glock to me is essentially SA in their own little way. A little take-up, but after practice you will never notice it. You can always take a look at the FNP and FNX pistols. Essentially a poor man's sig, but I like that the safety is also a decocker. Those you can carry cocked and locked. Anyone, including myself, that has disliked glock really changed their mind after shooting them. It's your choice though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EngineeringTheShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not quite sure what to say, I didn't realize that it was an unwritten rule amongst the gun community that if you didn't shoot a Glock you were the spawn of Satan and hated America. All I said in my original post was what I was looking at and asked what other people carried. And now I am apparently a shitty shot because I don't like how a glock fits in my hand. If the Glock is the be all end all then what is the point of having other gun manufacturers? You shoot a Glock, thats cool and more power to you but I don't like them. I didn't realize it was such an off the wall concept that you can shoot a gun more accurately if you can hold it better, I guess thats why you see so many guns out there with a 2 inch grip. I understand this is kind of a smart ass post but I mean come on man I am just looking to see what other people carry so I can see if it might work for me. I didn't realize I was shitting in your cheerios by not just settling with a Glock. </div></div>

you no u can get grip reductions bar-sto dose them for 145 http://www.barsto.com/grip_reduction.cfm

Carried a glock 19 for years till the wife confiscated it .
Currently carrying a sig p220 .

I would, but I live in BFE Kentucky, the closest gun store is 50 minutes away and they do not rent out. As for my range, well that is my folks farm. I wanted to know what other people carried so when I make a trip to the Whittaker's I can at least hold some of the mentioned pistols.

I fall on Colt933's side of the coin. I've tried everything from a 1911 or a N frame revolver to a TPH. For about twenty years it's been a SIG 230 in a Kramer horsehide IWB. DA/SA, 20.5oz with the mag. topped and one chambered, good corrosion resistance, big enough to give a good grip but small enough and flat enough to conceal well without imprinting wearing a suit or jacket and slacks. You still have to buy your pants an 1" larger and your belt 2". Nothings perfect.

You probably already know this. Don't start carrying anything, no matter who made/built it, until you've put at least four or five hundred rounds through it without a failure. At least the last hundred should be with your chosen carry ammo.

Glock 19 in the winter, Glock 26 in the summer, spring, fall, or when dressed up. I hated the Glock until as other said, I actually got to shoot one. I found that in presentation of the gun I always presented high relative to target. I blamed the grip angle until I was shown a better way to handle them. They always go boom, and I trust my life to them now that I have had consistent practice. Little obstacles are easily overcome with a lot of practice which translates to proficiency.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EngineeringTheShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand what you are saying, I do, however I am trying to tell you where I am coming from. I have small hands, I mean really small. I cannot hold a glock comfortably and because of that I am not accurate with it. <span style="font-weight: bold">If I bought one and put thousands of rounds through it I am sure I would get better at it</span>. But to me, I cant justify dropping half a grand on a gun that I shoot like crap straight out of the box especially if my life depends on my accuracy. </div></div>

Well... First of all, anyone should put thousands of rounds through any CCW before stepping on the street.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator j</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a M&P full size 9mm on duty and a M&P compact 9mm for my CCW and love them. They come with 3 different grip inserts so they fit just about everyone. </div></div>

same here. tried carrying the Taurus 1911. I need a better holster. the OWB didn't work well to conceal (no shit)

EngineeringTheShot,

While I do consider the G19 to be one of the best general purpose carry guns on the planet,and one of my personal favorites, it is not the ONLY game in town.

You stated it does not work for you. No problem. CZ 75 platforms come in many configurations and have a long history of excellent performance. You can get very thin grip panels for them that will likely fit your small hands. If you have a short reach, trigger finger wise, a single action CZ 75 may not be a bad choice.

A single action CZ 75 9mm would be an excellent carry gun for a trained shooter. The CZs are not nearly as popular here in the U.S, but throughout the world, they are a common and well respected sidearm.

Pictured on my bench from overseas are a couple of CZs that I got up and running. They are top notch pistols.

iraq006-Copy.jpg

Kimber Pro Carry in a Smartcarry holster. Its the most comfortable way I've found to carry a handgun while keeping it readily accessible.

Sig p220R, the thin profile carries well IWB and I am more comfortable with the heavy double action trigger for CCW carry. The SS barrel and slide are very rust resistant to perspiration, and the pistol breaks down easily for cleaning and wiping off clothing lint.
I am a huge 1911 fan but the 220 works for my application.

I carry a S&W M&P45 compact. No too small, not to large, holds 8+1 and has a 4 inch barrel. Good medium sized piece and mine has been dead nuts reliable. Can save allot of weight using RBCD ammo also.

While I am a long time 1911 guy, I carry a Walther PPS 9MM backed up by a S&W 342 daily.
There is usually a carbine stashed in the car some where.

I've always liked my Kimber Pro CDP II, but my wife just bought me a Taurus Raging Bull 44 Magnum with the 6" barrel, and I'm thinking THAT is the ticket for altering others' intentions. I shot it at one of the steel plates I use for my 45's and rimfires and such it it blew the plate CLEAN OFF the frame! Now I just gotta figure out how to holster it and I'm good to go.

I either carry a Springfield EMP or a S&W Model 642.

As much as I love the 1911 and the 45 acp. cartridge, I still end up carrying my S&W 638 Airweight bodyguard most of the time. It weighs half of what my smallest 1911 weighs, has a small "footprint" and goes bang every time. It's just too easy for me to throw it in a pocket and head out the door.

If I had a more high speed lifestyle, I'd change my wardrobe and carry my Kimber or something Glock like I used to.

HK 9mm USP Compact. Not the best trigger but very reliable and accurate, discounting the trigger of course. I carry it on the outside so it doesn't really serve me well as a carry gun in the warmer months. I am still trying to figure that one out.

I'm a 1911 guy and carry one more than anything else. I never cared for Glocks and then I got one in a trade. I shot it a lot and eventually overcame the tendancy to come up high. I had to conciously make a special effort to transition between the Glock and the 1911. I sold the Glock 19. I ran into a great deal on a Glock 27 and bought it. I didn't like it either. My buddy got a Springfield XDm9 and was loving it. I shot a few magazines out of it and loved it too. I bought one and have no regrets. I transition without any thought from a 1911 single stack or a 2011 double stack and the XDm9. I think Glocks are great guns but just not for me.

i actually go from a sig to a 1911 pretty easily. i do find with teh glock i have to adjust, it isn't dificult but it is a transition. i never warmed up to the XD's or USP's although i do like the feel of hte expert. really can't go wrong with any of em.

I carry as little as possible. Sometimes I carry a small sum of petty cash.
I learned in Torts I - first semester of law school - shooting someone is too much trouble. The risk of getting sued is too great (Way enough folks looking for a meal ticket and plenty plaintiff lawyers to represent them). And paying for my legal defense will be costly; regrettable.

Moreover, if at the end of the civil trial I'm negligent the cost will be much greater. The plaintiff(s) may garnish my wages, seize my assets if any, and if none, any future assets or even those of my estate by way of a judgment against it.

<span style="font-style: italic">IF</span> I'm going somewhere though I'm carrying a Mini-14/4X optic, 30rd mags of ammo in hip pockets, and / or a Rem Mod 1100 loaded with 000/slugs/000..., and maybe a handgun just for a counter weight. But if he gets that close I'm using my razor ass sharp Kbar.
Gung Ho / curious District Attorney Investigator friend tagged along on a warrant service; 300# dude charged him with a Dundee-sized knife, friend loaded em up with 45 Hydra Shocks, but those didn't matter at the moment. Dude ran over him. Could have cut his nosy head off had dude been skilled slightly with knives. 10yards behind my friend the dude lost his spirit but by that time it was too late.
Handguns are good for "Wait! Stop! Let me get my shotgun"! Unless you're Todd Jarrett, Jim Clark or required by your job to carry, they'll get us in more trouble than we can get out of mostly because we carry with it a sense of security that does not rise to the level of the capability of a handgun.

......LOL. You guys will love this. A dude I represent owes me money. He can't bring it right now so I'm going to get it. I drive a Porsche. My brother drives a truck and is available and nearby. What do you think I'm gonna do? Wish me luck. Did I mention in what part of town dude lives?
Truth is stranger than fiction. Be back in a bit.