• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you guys use as a release agent for bedding?

I assume the Johnson's works excellent? Ever had a lock happen using it? Is that Johnson's the wood wax your all using? I've used many times the brownells stuff (not the spray) and simply can't stand it to be honest :(.

Kiwi neutral shoe polish. Have also used olive oil cooking spray that worked well except it left some small air pocket voids in the bedding. Normal non-aerosol olive oil should work great.

I'm gonna give the kiwi polish a try. Do I buff it thin or wipe it on and buff it off? Gonna be using devcon for bedding.

I put a coat on and buffed it thin, then did a second coat and buffed again. Came out perfect with glass like finish on the bedding and was pretty easy to take apart when dried. One tap with a mallet and the action was free.

I used carnuba wax. It was in a deoderant stick. I grabbed a small chunk and rubbed it all over the areas that would come in contact. Worked great.

Buy you some (Lilly 225 Mold Release) in a gallon can and a tall ammo can and fill it up and dip your barreled action in it and it will dry real fast just as soon as you lift it out of the can without runs plus it cleans up easy. The good thing about this process is that you cant miss a spot when you submerse the barreled action.

I believe the bedding people at McMillan use Johnson's Paste Wax. If that's not a big enough endorsement, I don't know what is. I use Kiwi Neutral, and one or two taps on the top of the action with a small plastic hammer will release it every time. Apply, let dry, buff off.

Just a plug for Paul. I just got my Rem Mod 7 bolt back from him this week, Awesome work, Ya'll give him a call if you need bolt work done or anything else as far as that goes. I am building my daughter a little rifle in the new 7.62 VIPER Cartridge on a Model 7. He fluted the bolt with his new Vortex Fluting. I will post some pictures when the rifle is finished.
Thanks Again Paul.

Leo C

I believe the bedding people at McMillan use Johnson's Paste Wax. If that's not a big enough endorsement, I don't know what is. I use Kiwi Neutral, and one or two taps on the top of the action with a small plastic hammer will release it every time. Apply, let dry, buff off.

So once dry you buff it totally off? Wanna make sure I get this right as I don't wanna lock! Sometime this coming week all my stuff will be here. I'll be putting the new stock on the press with counterbore to drill the openings for the pillars. After ill inlet the action area down around 1/16"-1/8" and the glass bedding will begin. Done it many many times just want to use a better release agent.