• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you hate most about shooting?

Re: What do you hate most about shooting?

The cost...good gear ain't cheap...

Not enough ranges...takes most folk a good drive to get to a decent rifle range.

Idiots at ranges. I've had to dodge,duck,dip,dive, and dodge young billy with his pops/grandpops while he hols a pistol/rifle, and turns to them, inadvertantly pointing at me.

Moral of the story; if you decide to have children, take them out in hte middle of nowhere and teach them firearms safety, before you take them to a range...

1:The hoops we have to go through to enjoy our sport. 2: the fact that it only takes one idiot making the news to cast a bad image over all shooters which causes the butt pain associated with statement 1

The random Billy Bob Joe Bob Bubbas that come up and try and talk about rifles, shooting, and/or hunting, and you find very quickly that their conversation won't end after they've talked about how great that $300 bolt action he got from Wal-Mart, when reality whispers in your ear that he probably got it from a freaking pawn shop just because it was spray painted with krylon, and the guy who sold it to him lied to him and said that a sniper from the local military base used to own it. (Yes it's all one sentence, but it needs to be said.)

Then there's the guy who has no record of military service, and has to talk about his great-grandma's, wife's, uncle's, brother's, roomate's, cat's, sister-in-law who was in the Armed Forces as a something or other, but all he can guess right now is a DeltaReconRangerSEAL, or something equal to, or greater than your level of service because he is just sooo fucking worried that if he says was kicked out because he was a total shitbag, while assigned to the 2nd Push Button Company/427th Paperwork Battalion and earned a dishonorable, then it will somehow threaten his manhood as a whole and make me think less of him as a human being.

Again sorry for two longest sentences in the history of the Hide, but I need a good rant like I need some Johnnie Walker right now.

I hate the morons who act like they are experienced shooters, but later admit that they just video gamers. There is a rifle range just south of Spokane Valley which has metal reactive targets set out ot 1000 yards. The problem is the person who owns and runs the place is a miserable old mad man. He is extremely rude and disrespectfull. Trying to ask him a simple question will get a rude, condescending. He will also get into your gear and handle your weapons if you are gone, such as downrange putting targets up. I hate this guy. I'll try not to judge, but i'm fairly certain he is going to burn for a while.

Oher ranges I've been to have more friendly staff, but have the need to want to hold your hand, continually explaining weapons safety.

I think i got weapons satefy down fairly well. One of the few things that carried over from the military. I need to find a place out in the hills, forests, or mountains to go shooting in peace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How every idiot compares (insert gun here) to what the SEALs use... </div></div>

Does it matter what weapons the Seals used during their raid? It's the highly skilled person who can effectively employ the weapon he has that matters. I think that with the level of training they recieve, they can pick any weapon up and use it more effectively then almost anyone.

Thats just it... small talk with a little chest thumping. Frankly, I feel for you guys, I dont see much of that around where I shoot.

Running out of ammo.

Range idiots are everywhere. Last two scary events...Hard to describe in words. The range I use has a large hill separating you from the highway, with a dirt road that wraps around it. Rule of thumb, safe direction to shoot is with the hill AT YOUR BACK!! I was shooting in the prescribed manner. Two idiots set up to shoot in the same direction as me, but about 40 yds BEHIND me. This became apparent to me when .45 ACP rounds were wizzing past me. You cant scream CEASE FIRE loud enough.

Last one took place with me in the same area, but there was like 8 of us out there. Some dude parks right behind us, placing himself between us and the hill. Sets up a table, puts his M1A on it, muzzle facing us. Did not fire a shot, and sat there drinking one beer after another until he jast packed up. Had a few of us worried for a minute.

The range idiots are the worst. I can live with my own bad shooting and the same of others, but getting shot is not high on my to-do list.

Also the people that have finished shooting and have nothing better to do than come to your bench and bat the breeze while you are trying to get some trigger time. I love to talk, but there is a time and place. I have precious little time at the range and I try to make the most of it. Lately, it has been so hot in my area that very few people are out. I have been getting to the range at 7:00 and am gone by 10:00. In the winter, I often have the range to myself in January and February.

david

The safety range guys that are mostly a bunch of fat sofa potatoes,that try to belittle every little thing you do at the range.I cant seem to keep the assholes away from me,as they always want to comment on what I am doing.

policing my brass, hunting and pecking like a friggin chicken.

Somebody PLEASE invent a Brass Magnet

Work.....causes me to have less time to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFMF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How every idiot compares (insert gun here) to what the SEALs use... </div></div>

Does it matter what weapons the Seals used during their raid? It's the highly skilled person who can effectively employ the weapon he has that matters. I think that with the level of training they recieve, they can pick any weapon up and use it more effectively then almost anyone. </div></div>

I agree but what I was getting at was that everyone I run into seems brag that their crappy gear is 'what the SEALs use' or was built by an ex-SEAL. I can't even begin to tell you how often I hear shit like this, there must be millions of ex-SEALs out there.

+1 on public ranges and the idiots that plague them. I just want to shoot in peace. I don't need some mall ninja or worse some toothless redneck who's cousin is a Ranger to critique my shooting technique. Every time you pull the trigger, before the dust even settles, "Now what YOU did wrong was (insert inane bullshit) what YOU need to do is (insert stupid irrelevant instruction). I'm sorry that the half inch groups I've been shooting aren't good enough for you and your Hi Point carbine which you used to kill a running coyote at 300 yards. I bow to your superior skills.

Funny thread, this, and so timely. I went yesterday for a few hours and saw an example of just about every bad range behavior stereotype imaginable. It never ceases to amaze me that more people aren't inadvertently shot by idiots.

Just about every one of my hates has been covered from the cost to the idiots, but the guy that rolled up with blaring bad music and keeps it playing while unloading his 57 guns and argues with the range officer because he doesn't think HE has to have chamber flags for them like the rest of us because he knows the owner really pissed me off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucson?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having to stop. </div></div>

This!!!

Not quite telling the truth to my wife.
But I only hate it a little bit, you know the part where you promise on a stack of bible's this is the last gun I am going to buy, which you started saying 10 or 11 yrs. ago.
Trying to remember the last time she said "damn that is such a good deal, honey why don't you buy 2 of them"
Oh, well I can't but I can remember the last gun I bought, it was 2 weeks ago.

Carrying all the crap to the public range...

People getting offended when I'm eating Cheetos and beating off at the sametime

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People getting offended when I'm eating Cheetos and beating off at the sametime </div></div>

With the same hand?

The dumbasses next to me, shooting steel hand gun with FMJ's and spraying my right side with shrapnel. Oh. or the idiot that doesn't do a range check, and walks down range, into my sight picture, to change his shoot-n-c. All he had to do is ask me, and I would have told him it was clean..so basically, public ranges..

God has blessed me. I have enough land to have a private range, 200 yds, with a 90 ft hill behind it. A 50 meter range out my basement window, and about 300 degrees around the house that I can shoot.
Deer, turkey, skurls and rabbits all at times within 50 ft of the house.
I will occasionally have a few friends out and burn a few hundred rnds, with no complaints from the neighbors. They are shooters, too.

I haven't been to a public range in 20 years, for many of the above reasons.
I am limited to 200 yds but no idiots (other than yours truly) and no problems.

All the "experts" about everything. Last time I was out at the range some kid with a high and tight hair cut shooting a sporterized mauser said that it was the same rifle he used in Iraq to "snipe guys at 1200 yards"

passing out from the heat inside the porta potty at the local range while violently trying to rub one out after shooting my sporterized mauser and laughing at my brass showering the deuche next to me, and then waking up in an ambulance wrapped in ice sheets with a core temp of 105 but feeling cold and not bein able to finish what I had started in the porta potty....... I HATE that shit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">passing out from the heat inside the porta potty at the local range while violently trying to rub one out after shooting my sporterized mauser and laughing at my brass showering the deuche next to me, and then waking up in an ambulance wrapped in ice sheets with a core temp of 105 but feeling cold and not bein able to finish what I had started in the porta potty....... I HATE that shit</div></div>

I almost shit my pants laughing .

people who shoot on my target

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spanky 84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">people who shoot on my target</div></div>

that's probably because they want to boost your confidence
smile.gif
I'm guilty of that

Yes the idiots and yes how they eye f$$k all my gear and ask multiple stupid questions and display multiple stupid behavior. I guess idiots and multiple go together?

The Internet know it alls . Yeah , I could live with out the egocentric know it all MFers that want to run new guys off and think they are Gods gift to the shooting community .

Other than that there isn't much I don't Love about shooting . Hell I even vowed to clean all my guns at least once a year whether they needed it or not
wink.gif

people who shoot the target holders...aaarrrgggg....

* ranges with working hour opening times only
* not enough ranges
* ammo price
* not enough lads/lasses in my area interested in precision shooting

Have my own rifle and pistol range. My wife and son both shoot so we do it as family time. There is nothing not to like unless you want to count my wife out shooting me on the pistol range.