• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship What do you know about shooting math?

StrykerSDM

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2012
NW
Just curious. How much do you know about math, how far do you feel comfortable with it? How far did you go in it? If, say, a short book on shooting mathematics were written that makes the key trigonometric elements and some basic Newtonian mechanics available to the shooter while at the same time providing an understanding of what is going on, ie, not "dumbing it down" as I feel some of things I've read have been, then would that be of interest?

What would be "approachable" in your opinion? It shouldn't go over the head, but it won't make up for a complete lack of understanding of math either. I see a lot of questions about shooting math and not much online. Also, if anyone knows of a good book on it, I'd appreciate knowing the title.

And all of this is serious, so please keep responses so. Thank you!

Re: What do you know about shooting math?

Applied Balistics for Long Range Shooting, Bryabn Litz

Hatcher's Noatebook, MG J Hatcher.

Machine Guns, Hatcher-Wilhelm-Malony

Between the three they cover everything I need to know about shooting.

Easy to figure out, even for a guy like my who is math challenged.

Trust me, if I can figure it out, any one can.

get Applied Ballistics....its def. not dumbed down...my ears are still smoking...

I would also add a book on DOE (Design of Experiments). DOE is a tool used to understand how all of the variables in a process contribute to the overall error. I have used DOE to understand myriad business processes where it is critical to understand what variables are driving your outcomes for customers. I've had thoughts of putting together a DOE to try to assign the contribution each variable makes to the outcomes we are solving for with each shot.

Use Ballistics to understand all of the variables in the equation.. then use DOE to optimize each of those variables to achieve the best shot. The best shooters do this intuitively but it is hard to teach intuition. If we had some firm science to build off of, I think it would advance things for less talented/experienced shooters.

Thanks for the replies, I'll see if I can find "Applied Ballistics" at the library. I'll check on those others too.

If anyone knows of any other math related shooting books, no matter how deep the math or physics, let me know. I'm trying to get a grasp of what is out there.

I have a lot of time on my hands now, and as a former designated marksman instructor who studied math at university, I thought perhaps I may have something to add --if it doesn't already exist-- and it would give me something productive to do when I'm not shooting or reloading.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StrykerSDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone knows of any other math related shooting books, no matter how deep the math or physics, let me know. I'm trying to get a grasp of what is out there.
</div></div>

Robert McCoy`s "Modern Exterior Ballistics" is mentioned in a lot of threads here at snipers hide. Great book! Answers almost every question you ever thought of (and many others)

I know that for my 1Kyd-capable rifles, they reach 1Kyd with somewhere between 28-32MOA, and that about half of that equates to around a 700yd zero.

By using the sling/bipod technique, bipod hop is cancelled and I can watch the strike of the bullet about as well as my spotter can. By comparing my strike against my expected POI, I can revise my distance estimate.

I try to prepare a stock table at home in advance for the altitude, etc. where I expect to be shooting. This gives me something to use as a comparison when trying to interpolate distances and estimate wind adjustments.

For me, the important math gets done at home, the rest is based on trial and refinement out in the field.

I have significant reservations about math and calcs performed in the field, based mainly on the time required and the accuracy of the data being used to crunch the numbers.

Come right down to it, I find my ballpark estimates to be near close enough that I'm sticking with them.

I pretty much disbelieve the concept that a first round hit can be calculated accurately every time.

Neither my life nor my livelihood depend on such a capability, and honestly, I'm fully prepared to be wrong about this and give full credit to those who can right here and now.

The point of my comment here is that when all the calculation and confirmation gets done, solutions can't be trusted as totally precise, and that most solutions look rather roughly similar in practical, ballpark terms. The point of my comment is also <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> intended to touch off any arguments.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StrykerSDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone knows of any other math related shooting books, no matter how deep the math or physics, let me know. I'm trying to get a grasp of what is out there.
</div></div>

Robert McCoy`s "Modern Exterior Ballistics" is mentioned in a lot of threads here at snipers hide. Great book! Answers almost every question you ever thought of (and many others)
</div></div>

That's even referenced in Litz's book, which I'm muddling through now, great book and learning some things from it, especially the wind chapter.