• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you shave with?......I'm talking faces

Captain Moroni

Well armed easily annoyed
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2007
Pocatello ID
www.highdeserttactical.us
For you guys that shave everyday what do you use and what have you found to be the most comfortable/least painful?

For the last couple of years I have used a Gillette Fusion and its OK but I get the damn bumps. I find myself putting it off longer than I would like because it is painful.

Is there a better way out there or do I just live with it?

Re: What do you shave with?......I'm talking faces

oh this is good.............................personal grooming habits of the Hide.........

shankster where art thou

i feel a new video about to give birth

If you get the bumps then try a single edge safty razor, and some real fat soap. Use a light touch and go only with the grain. You are not going to get a close smooth shave but you will look like you have shaved.
I use an adjustable razor from Merkur. and soap from thegentlemansquarter.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shave WHAT with? </div></div>

If I was taking about anything other than your face I would have posted this over in Maggies since I cant just PM Maser anymore

I cant be the only one here who hates shaving

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant be the only one here who hates shaving </div></div>

That is why I don't

Huh? Um, <span style="font-style: italic">no hablo «shave»</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you get the bumps then try a single edge safty razor, and some real fat soap. Use a light touch and go only with the grain. You are not going to get a close smooth shave but you will look like you have shaved.
I use an adjustable razor from Merkur. and soap from thegentlemansquarter.com </div></div>

A civilized man amongst savages clearly. Personally I like to rock the stubble.

Yes stubble, for the sophisticated guy that doesn't give a shit.

That's how I roll.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes stubble, for the sophisticated guy that doesn't give a shit.

That's how I roll. </div></div>

It works for George Michael, right?

day off? i dont

days i work? barbasol and a fusion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you get the bumps then try a single edge safty razor, and some real fat soap. Use a light touch and go only with the grain. You are not going to get a close smooth shave but you will look like you have shaved.
I use an adjustable razor from Merkur. and soap from thegentlemansquarter.com </div></div>

This is what I just started using. Only two shaves in but I doubt I'll go back (to those cartridge razors). Just got sick and tired of spending the money on the expensive cartridges.

Still waiting for the soap I ordered from amazon to arrive, so in the meantime I've been using the shitty gillette aerosol cream.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes stubble, for the sophisticated guy that doesn't give a shit.

It works for George Michael, right? </div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EtYOpHp-bX0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EtYOpHp-bX0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Schick Hydro... it's just like a blast of hydration to the face!

I shoot a hot load from my own piss pump onto my face, then use a J.A. henkels butter knife

LMAO!
Changing this place's name from BEAR PIT to Hide Metrosexual Salon and Day Spa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMAO!
Changing this place's name from BEAR PIT to Hide Metrosexual Salon and Day Spa. </div></div>

No wonder they sell so many Versipacks ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMAO!
Changing this place's name from BEAR PIT to Hide Metrosexual Salon and Day Spa. </div></div>

No wonder they sell so many Versipacks ... </div></div>

the tactical look is really in right now

Straight razor. A plain, basic DOVO Solingen will last the rest of your life, and comes sharp enough to peel a human hair. Shave every other day, never buy blades.

Kemp's Half & Half and then let the cats lick it off.

I use an adjustable razor from Merkur. and soap from thegentlemansquarter.com</div></div>

Excellent advice. When shaving off my beard, I use a straight-razor. Only way to fly.

Secondly, for daily use, the safety-razor with Wilkinson Sword blades does the trick. The Gillette blue blades "suck-ass" and I dull one of those before a single shave. Spend the extra few bucks on Wilkinson Swords.

For in-between, travels, and whatever, I've found that the Quatro works well. Your mileage might vary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes stubble, for the sophisticated guy that doesn't give a shit.

It works for George Michael, right? </div></div>
I'm not so sure how well it "works" for Mr. Michael
wink.gif

84595194.jpg

and I hate when I have to travel

youmightbearedneck10.jpg

The serious answer is <span style="text-decoration: underline">Aveeno</span> theraputic shave gel. It's available at drug stores and it's expensive when compared to the others but it's likely the solution to your problem.

Oh yeah, and all the serious tactical marksmen use it.
laugh.gif

Guy at work uses a small clipper.
No sure the brand, but might be an oster.
No stubble or shadow.
He learned about it working on a dairy farm.
One blade above what they use for surgery.
He had to take care of one of those cow plugs you may have seen on dirty jobs.

Close shave, no bumps.

Never said I was a serious marksman.
His method works for him, and mine for me.

20.00 kit from drugmart can handle most problems.

Good 'ole Mach 3 turbo and Gillette Shave Gel.

I always shave AFTER my shower... and use cold water... and rinse my face off with cold water when finished.
I never use aftershave... I never get razor bumps or burns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 270grdeerround</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant be the only one here who hates shaving </div></div>

That is why I don't </div></div>

Yea but then he'd have to start another beard caught in my rifle thread. Sucks to be him any way you cut it.

Mach3 and regular Gillette foamy.

I cant use the fusion razor. It rapes my face, and leaves huge swaths of bumps

Shave Secret.....can get it at Walmart....small bottle of oil...thats all it is....Aveeno Shave gel works great....or if you're really hardcore....get a canteen, cold water, and a schik disposable and find the nearest HMMWV mirror...rock it ground-pounder style...

Now back to GUN STUFF instead of MANSCAPING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used the Gillette Atra for years then i got the Giletter Fusion nd its excellent. Never got a shaving nick or cut in the 2 years ive owned them.

OK here goes the guy with the bolt cutters was using them wrong I use them for cutting the boys sacks sniffing around my porch looking for my only girl. I only found one time in a life time blades from england sheffield I think than did not give me bumps. when my beard gits to long I cut them down with hair clippers. I get a rash from any razor cheap or spendy . I just gave up but if you work and have to be clean cut I feel your pain. try other saving creams I found out that the creams made me worse than the blades I just got that type of skin after saves make me rash also hope you find out what works is a bitch for sure.

Dammit, Crump. I'm now convinced to throw my Gilette Fusion away at the end of my beard season (April 1st) and start my clean-shaven season with a real razor. I've been on The Gentleman's Quarter and West Coast Shaving for 2 days now looking at all the crap I'm gonna buy in the next 2 months. Thanks a bunch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you guys that shave everyday what do you use and what have you found to be the most comfortable/least painful?

For the last couple of years I have used a Gillette Fusion and its OK but I get the damn bumps. I find myself putting it off longer than I would like because it is painful.

Is there a better way out there or do I just live with it? </div></div>

OK, time for professional input - those bumps are called "pseudofolliculitis barbae" ; and derms all across the country noted a huge increase in this condition with the onset of the "multi-blade" razors - the first being the Mach three, and we were all talking about it amongst ourselves before any papers came out on it.

The reason, well the actual mechanism is the first blade, and sometime second blade in the new Quadra track is intended to pull the hair slightly from the base of the hair follicle, raising the hair to a higher level than it was, so the second and third blades cut it in a way the hair is cut shorter assuming the hair compliantly retracts back in its old path. The problem, is that once some hairs are "pulled" from the base of their follicle, the don't always go straight back where they were they, the base of the follicle is angry, scarred, and now distorted, causing that hair to regrow at a different angle than it previous did. The result is instead of that hair growing straight along its prior path, say a 10 degree angle, it now is growing at a 30 or 45 degree angle, hence not coming out of the skin first, but plowing into a portion of skin, usually the higher layer of the dermis, where there isn't a "follicular opening" (where the hair should be growing/coming out of). The dermis sees that newly angled hair at a place it shouldn't be, and recognizes that hair as a foreign body - something that doesn't belong there, which stimulates an inflammatory response - white bloods cells (including neutrophils = pustules) attacking the area and release inflammtory chemicals, where the hair shouldn't be and thus creating "the red bumps".

So what can be done about it? Most dermatologists, right off the bat, are going to recommend going electric, or going back to the single or double blade and shaving in the direction of hair growth instead of against it, which yes, doesn't give a close shave. (That super sharp single blade mentioned above actually is great, but there is a learning curve that usually involves some bloodletting.) There are other options, depending on severity, I have personally seen good results with. First, there is an OTC product that your pharmacist can order called "Aqua Glycolic Facial Cleanser" that can be used as a shave gel (about $16 last I heard), it takes a good 2 weeks to see improvement. Aveeno shave is probably the best "cheaper" product, but does not work quite as well as Aqua Glycolic IMHO. Or, your doctor can even prescribe a low dose of an oral antibiotic such as minocycline or doxycycline that are taken on a continual basis, or a topical clindamycin (there is a foam that works great for the beard area called Evoclin). These antibiotics aren't to kill bacteria, but have the property of being anti-inflammatory for the skin, thus minimizing the red bumps.

I have seen Family doc's & PCP's prescribe topical steroids for the face - do NOT use those.

Now back to your regular channel...

Currently a badger hair brush, hot water, and a nice fatty soap cake for a good warm foam. Currently a Mach 3 while I save up for a nice straight razor and a new mug and brush. I use a mix of certain old school oils on the soap that keep the cuts away and shave MWF, and leave it alone on Tu/Th/S/Su. A little stubble every other day keeps the bumps away and keeps my face from drying out from constantly shaving...Life is good not having some assclown 1SG tell me I need a shave anymore, really taking to this full time student thing. Life is good.

+1 but I use a Gillette DE from 1966. Used to hate shaving but can now shave daily if I wish. It's nice having the wife want to get close and stay there.

Charlie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you guys that shave everyday what do you use and what have you found to be the most comfortable/least painful?

Is there a better way out there or do I just live with it? </div></div>

OK, time for professional input - those bumps are called "pseudofolliculitis barbae" ; and derms all across the country noted a huge increase in this condition with the onset of the "multi-blade" razors - the first being the Mach three, and we were all talking about it amongst ourselves before any papers came out on it.

The reason, well the actual mechanism is the first blade, and sometime second blade in the new Quadra track is intended to pull the hair slightly from the base of the hair follicle, raising the hair to a higher level than it was, so the second and third blades cut it in a way the hair is cut shorter assuming the hair compliantly retracts back in its old path. The problem, is that once some hairs are "pulled" from the base of their follicle, the don't always go straight back where they were they, the base of the follicle is angry, scarred, and now distorted, causing that hair to regrow at a different angle than it previous did. The result is instead of that hair growing straight along its prior path, say a 10 degree angle, it now is growing at a 30 or 45 degree angle, hence not coming out of the skin first, but plowing into a portion of skin, usually the higher layer of the dermis, where there isn't a "follicular opening" (where the hair should be growing/coming out of). The dermis sees that newly angled hair at a place it shouldn't be, and recognizes that hair as a foreign body - something that doesn't belong there, which stimulates an inflammatory response - white bloods cells (including neutrophils = pustules) attacking the area and release inflammtory chemicals, where the hair shouldn't be and thus creating "the red bumps".

So what can be done about it? Most dermatologists, right off the bat, are going to recommend going electric, or going back to the single or double blade and shaving in the direction of hair growth instead of against it, which yes, doesn't give a close shave. (That super sharp single blade mentioned above actually is great, but there is a learning curve that usually involves some bloodletting.) There are other options, depending on severity, I have personally seen good results with. First, there is an OTC product that your pharmacist can order called "Aqua Glycolic Facial Cleanser" that can be used as a shave gel (about $16 last I heard), it takes a good 2 weeks to see improvement. Aveeno shave is probably the best "cheaper" product, but does not work quite as well as Aqua Glycolic IMHO. Or, you doctor can even prescribe a low dose of an oral antibiotic such as minocycline or doxycycline that are taken on a continual basis, or a topical clindamycin (there is a foam that works great for the beard area called Evoclin). These antibiotics aren't to killed bacteria, but have the property of being anti-inflammatory of the skin, thus minimizing the red bumps.

I have seen Family doc's & PCP's prescribe topical steroids for the face - do NOT use those.

Now back to your regular channel... </div></div>

Thanks for the info. I think I will give the strait razor/single razor thing a try

I use the same razor as the OP and used to have the same issue. I hated shaving as I would get a terrible rash. I was recommended to use Jack Black Beard Lube instead of shaving cream. This stuff works wonders for me, I don't get the rash and bumps that I used to. Also a good after shave lotion from The Art Of Shaving is handy as well as it will help you skin healer faster, or at the worst it smells nice and feels good!

Hey Switch,
Ya need a shave.
Old retarded 1SG

Did that for many years, but the first few weeks were a bloody time until I figured out how to do it correctly and got the razor sharp enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently a badger hair brush, hot water, and a nice fatty soap cake for a good warm foam. Currently a Mach 3 while I save up for a nice straight razor and a new mug and brush. I use a mix of certain old school oils on the soap that keep the cuts away and shave MWF, and leave it alone on Tu/Th/S/Su. A little stubble every other day keeps the bumps away and keeps my face from drying out from constantly shaving...Life is good not having some assclown 1SG tell me I need a shave anymore, really taking to this full time student thing. Life is good. </div></div>
Try Mitchells (sp) wool fat for soap. Get a inexpensive boar brush (not the real cheap crap ones but a decent one Boar brushes
First wet your face with some nice warm or hot water, wet the brush and work up a good lather. Apply to face and then shave.
I use a Mach III when in a rush but if I have time I pull out some of my straits after a good stroping and try not to cut the snot out of myself while dealing with the DT's from last nights whiskey binge. Every now and then I donate some blood to the sink.

Try using hair conditioner instead of shaving cream. I use the Bic disposable razors.

I've been in hundreds of latrines around the world and the only time I can recall a straight razor up against a white guy's face was as a brother was applying it deep, wide and continuously while explaining the error of using the N word!
cool.gif

A couple of guys said they tried the old fashioned way a bit but was soon dropped as way too complicated compared to a disposable.

Switch- your baby face looks great- now get a haircut!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
OK, time for professional input - </div></div>

LOL
What am I chopped liver? I just left out the doctor mumbo jumbo and got to what the caveman wants to know. I don't recommend electric because they suck, require a power supply, are expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Straight razor. A plain, basic DOVO Solingen will last the rest of your life, and comes sharp enough to peel a human hair. Shave every other day, never buy blades. </div></div>

This is how I do it also. One day I was in Costco and just could not bring myself to spend 60 bucks on disposable razors. I got online and did some research and got set up for straight razor. It is a bit of an investment at first and there is a lot to figure out but you really feel alive in the morning when you hold that blade to your face. You can go crazy with gear also. Just what I needed.