• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you shave with?......I'm talking faces

Re: What do you shave with?......I'm talking faces

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks for the info. I think I will give the strait razor/single razor thing a try </div></div>

This is really not something you "try". You need to do your homework and if your down, commit to it. You will spend a few hundred bucks getting set up. You can't just start shaving with a new razor, it needs to be honed and it's a skill that a noob won't have. You will need to send it to someone. There are many different blade designs and if you get into it, you will want to try them all. I went to this forum ( http://www.straightrazorplace.com/ ) and bought Lynn Abrams DVD. It was a huge help. I read a lot and got some info, then went to a shop and got my hands on some gear. If you think it might be something you could do, it is very exhilarating to shave this way and it's some nice time for yourself to think about the day ahead of you. It's a rabbit hole just like rifles are. Good luck and I do recommend it. There are a lot of jokes about this being a femm topic but shaving cut throat is about as manly as it gets in my mind. It's a lost art.

Go here for hononing, stroping of straits info. They have some tutorials which might help a beginer.

Take your time at first and be patient. After a little bit you will get a lot faster and better.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/index.php

I suggest with a strait that you get the rounded edge versus the squared off one!!! Trust me on this!
Get a practice strope and a decent to good strope. You can pick up barbers hones from ebay but I suggest you research them first.

I have a could of straits, 3 solingens one is a Bismark (great blade), a silver steel (also great and then some older ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
OK, time for professional input - </div></div>

LOL
What am I chopped liver? I just left out the doctor mumbo jumbo and got to what the caveman wants to know. I don't recommend electric because they suck, require a power supply, are expensive.</div></div>

When they cut their neck blood vessels practicing with the single straight blades you be 'da man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks for the info. I think I will give the strait razor/single razor thing a try </div></div>

This is really not something you "try". You need to do your homework and if your down, commit to it. You will spend a few hundred bucks getting set up. You can't just start shaving with a new razor, it needs to be honed and it's a skill that a noob won't have. You will need to send it to someone. There are many different blade designs and if you get into it, you will want to try them all. I went to this forum ( http://www.straightrazorplace.com/ ) and bought Lynn Abrams DVD. It was a huge help. I read a lot and got some info, then went to a shop and got my hands on some gear. If you think it might be something you could do, it is very exhilarating to shave this way and it's some nice time for yourself to think about the day ahead of you. It's a rabbit hole just like rifles are. Good luck and I do recommend it. There are a lot of jokes about this being a femm topic but shaving cut throat is about as manly as it gets in my mind. It's a lost art.</div></div>

Hence my comment regarding a learning curve and bloodletting. "Barbers" used to make as much money off of shaving in the old days as hair cuts because of the skill factor - but most women do love a man with a nice smooth soft face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... most women do love a man with a nice smooth soft face. </div></div>L, how about a man with a hard face but a smooth, soft personality?!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... most women do love a man with a nice smooth soft face. </div></div>L, how about a man with a hard face but a smooth, soft personality?!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

LOL The ones with the smooth soft personalities are usually the gay hairdressers we spend $60/month for a 1/2" trim and therapy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This is really not something you "try". You need to do your homework and if your down, commit to it. You will spend a few hundred bucks getting set up. You can't just start shaving with a new razor, it needs to be honed and it's a skill that a noob won't have. You will need to send it to someone. There are many different blade designs and if you get into it, you will want to try them all. I went to this forum ( http://www.straightrazorplace.com/ ) and bought Lynn Abrams DVD. It was a huge help. I read a lot and got some info, then went to a shop and got my hands on some gear. If you think it might be something you could do, it is very exhilarating to shave this way and it's some nice time for yourself to think about the day ahead of you. It's a rabbit hole just like rifles are. Good luck and I do recommend it. There are a lot of jokes about this being a femm topic but shaving cut throat is about as manly as it gets in my mind. It's a lost art.</div></div>

Hence my comment regarding a learning curve and bloodletting. "Barbers" used to make as much money off of shaving in the old days as hair cuts because of the skill factor - but most women do love a man with a nice smooth soft face. </div></div>

My barber charges $22 for a cut and $28 for a shave. $45 for the combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hence my comment regarding a learning curve and bloodletting. "Barbers" used to make as much money off of shaving in the old days as hair cuts because of the skill factor - but most women do love a man with a nice smooth soft face. </div></div>

My barber charges $22 for a cut and $28 for a shave. $45 for the combo. </div></div>
seriously?

I use a strait for my haircut every once and a while. My haircut costs about $5.50 if I use the DB or about $7.50 at some other places.

Braun Razor has been doing great for me for a while now. I upgrade once a year though

Shaving after a hot shower always works me. Softens the hairs up for an easier smooth shave.

Old beard. Hot shower and an exfoliate. Prefer Kiehls. More hot water on the face and DE razor. Keep face wet till done. No cuts, no bumps and no complaints from the wife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Switch- your baby face looks great- now get a haircut!
wink.gif
</div></div>

The last time anyone said I had a babyface was uh, damn, when I was a baby. Ever since I been shaving since 13, it has been that condescending,"Oh, he's ruggedly handsome" which is chick speak for 'way too ugly and rough around the edges for me'.
I'll get by with a shave a few times a week, and leave a little stubble in between so they leave me alone to my studies. Shoot, got little enough time for Panty 6, much less anything that bothers me at school, besides, I like looking like a white trash rebel, it makes them all underestimate me

I saw your moto pic behind the rifle, cute dimpled chin and everything.

Dont you mean misunderestimate??? I love quoting imporatant people who are just trailer trash working above their pay grade.

No offense to you but for some it dosnt take much to look like trailer trash, not a look I'd recommend but some do like going against the grain
laugh.gif

Best of luck with your contined studies.

http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html

I think I'll stay away from a straight razor and go for one of these:

96R_71R_SW6325.jpg

I am done with expensive blades when I can get solid use from good single blades and nice foamy warm soap. As to haircuts, well I save a bundle there too with a 1/8" even cut with the trusty Wahl grumbler set low.

I do know my lady loves the way a single blade shaves with good soap cakes anbd oil too...don't leave razor stubble burn on it either

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you guys that shave everyday</div></div>

There are people who shave everyday?

Fuck. Who knew!

I shave perhaps 5 or 7 times a year because my face gets TORE UP when I shave. The razor doesn't matter, nor the cream or anything I might put on it afterwards to mitigate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think I'll stay away from a straight razor </div></div>

Starting out, you'll draw less blood with a straight razor than with a safety razor: you can see and monitor the cutting edge more easily. Couple of times and you'll have it down pat. Practice on a well-lathered balloon if you're scared, but you don't really need to: just keep your soapy face wet, the razor well stropped, and use the correct angle. All men that shaved used straight razors for centuries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Old beard. Hot shower and an exfoliate. Prefer Kiehls. More hot water on the face and DE razor. Keep face wet till done. No cuts, no bumps and no complaints from the wife.
</div></div>

Exactly - exfoliation is how the Aqua Glycolic Face Cleanser works so well.

Keep your skin stretched and tight, let the blade do the work.

I have been using the Schick Hydro 5 and Schick Hydro Shaving Gel. It is a 5 blade razor and the blade can be flexible to follow curves or you can pull it back to lock it in a stationary position for more precision.

I usually keep a beard of various length so I shave above the beard, under my lip/chin, and my neck. With the Hydro razor, you never need to go against the grain, and, there is no need for multiple passes on one area. It is probably the closest shave I've ever had with little to no irritation. Plus, the blades last a LONG time. I used to spend a fortune on Gillette Mach/Fusion blades, but the Schick Hydro 5 blades seem to stay sharp forever.

If I am going to shave without a shower, I will take a small towel and get it as hot as I can stand. Wring it out, double it up and lay it on the areas to shave. Repeat this process a few times, you need to open your skin up some. Apply shaving cream/foam/gel until you can't see skin underneath. Here is the important step: Allow cream/foam/gel to sit on your face for a few minutes, I usually smoke a cigarette while waiting. I don't know what this does, or why it helps but I get a better shave if I let the shaving medium stand for a few minutes before taking it off. Keep skin tight when possible, shave the way your hair grows naturally. Do Not make multiple passes if possible, that is a sure fire way to get irritation. After you are done, get that towel and run cold water over it and apply that to your face: repeat to close pores up.

I have fairly sensitive skin around the neck area and this process with the Schick Razor gives me a great shave with little to no irritation. I mainly used Gillette Mach/Fusion products in the past and would have to work for a good shave. I was completely surprised how much better the Schick Hydro was. Shave is closer, less irritation and the blades last 2-3x longer than Mach/Fusion blades. I would give it a whirl and if you don't like it, give it to the g/f or wife, I hear it works good there too!

Kelly

Just picked up a Merkur "futur" adjustable double edge. I am very excited about getting rid of my mach3 turbo cheese gratter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... most women do love a man with a nice smooth soft face. </div></div>L, how about a man with a hard face but a smooth, soft personality?!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

LOL The ones with the smooth soft personalities are usually the gay hairdressers we spend $60/month for a 1/2" <span style="font-weight: bold">trim</span> and therapy. </div></div>

Hold up: you get <span style="font-style: italic">trim</span> from a gay hairdresser?

</div></div>

Yes I do, the straight ones can't cut hair!

A few shaves in with a DE, and I am loving it so far! The shave seems so much nicer than shaving with cartridges. The shave is closer, and feels more "complete" if that makes any sense. The shave takes a bit longer, but it is much more enjoyable from start to finish. Definitely seems to be more of a ritual to this type of shaving.

I assembled my own sample pack of blades. So far I've only used merkurs and gillete 7 o'clock sharpedge (yellow pack) baldes. I really enjoy the gillete blades so far, but I still have derby, persona platinum and wilkinson swords to try in my kit. I think I am going to buy feather and persona medicals next, hear great things about them.

Man, some of you guys put way more time into this than I do. I rock a short beard or scruff as often as I can. I did enough shaving in the military.

Veer,
That's the default photo from the website. As to preference, I dig old school as in older than when God was a Lance Corporal stuff. It's classic scents in a soap cake that make for a superb shave when a good badger hair brush is used

So you're the one driving up the prices on dubl quacks..
smile.gif

The rounds are hard to find. Decent specimen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My barber charges $22 for a cut and $28 for a shave. $45 for the combo. </div></div>
seriously?

I use a strait for my haircut every once and a while. My haircut costs about $5.50 if I use the DB or about $7.50 at some other places.</div></div>

Welcome to ridiculous SoCal..

Aside from the regime that runs the state, the weather is worth the few extra bucks you spend on a haircut. Besides, if you saw what it cost my wife for her hair, 22 is pretty cheap.

I use fusion and Neutrogena body oil...hot shower, oil up my face and shave. I have sensitive skin/dry skin combo, the oil helps it from burning and drying. Fridays, I don't shave, go stubs on to the weekend.