• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you think about this chamber and rifling *borescope vid*

jawa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
TX
This is a borescope vid I shot of one of my AR barrels. The barrel is 16” in length, has a 5.56 chamber, 1-7 twist, and is chrome lined. It has ~150 rds through it. This is a factory upper from a reputable manufacturer. I’d just like some opinions on the current state of the chamber and rifling based on the low round count (150 rds). I’m not having any issues whatsoever with the rifle.

NewAntiqueAzurevasesponge-size_restricted.gif

ok I'll ask, which manufacturer? I hate guessing games and bear in mind, it's not to bash

What's the issue? i don't think I saw one. Did you borescope it when it was new so you really could have a comparison? It looks like new to me. Minimal erosion at the gas port.

Replying to all: The reason for the borescope was for two reasons: I bought it used with a claimed 80rds, with me putting an additional 70 rds through it. Comparing to other rifles I have, the chamber and rifling looked rough. Secondly, this company is know for throwing sloppy seconds out to the civvy world, and was just curious to whether or not that’s what I got.

What's the issue? i don't think I saw one. Did you borescope it when it was new so you really could have a comparison? It looks like new to me. Minimal erosion at the gas port.
I saw no problem either other than what I thought was a rough chamber and rifling.

To me the chamber looks a bit rough but the rifling looks ok...if it shoots good, which is the only real test worth a damn, what's the issue?

I have a bore scope...I use it to evaluate my cleaning. I have a Proof SS barrel with right at 2k rounds on it that looks like shit inside but still shoots just as good as when new. YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: jawa
Soooo, did you get what you expected?
It doesn’t give me any problems. But after testing accuracy with BH Mk262 OTM, S&B 77gr SMK, Pine Valley 77gr SMK, & IMI Razorcore 77gr OTM I’m less than satisfied. Which left me wondering if the condition of the barrel might be to blame.

It doesn’t give me any problems. But after testing accuracy with BH Mk262 OTM, S&B 77gr SMK, Pine Valley 77gr SMK, & IMI Razorcore 77gr OTM I’m less than satisfied. Which left me wondering if the condition of the barrel might be to blame.
I'd try rolling down in weight as it may not like heavier pills?

Kacs aren't lasers, should have bought a LMT with ss barrel :D

that said, next time look at Centurion as they shoot lights out

Yeah, those are all "decent" ammo and should give "decent" accuracy. Perhaps the previous barrel owner decided that it wasn't up to par and pawned it off.

I just bought my first and only borescope for pure curiosity and posted this, lol. All I ever did before this past week was shoot. I appreciate all the feedback either way.

I miss the days when borescope prices were high so people just went to their range and shot their guns to see if the barrel was good or not.
Ain't that the truth! LOL! @bigjake83 allowed me to borrow his scope for a few days. Thankfully, he had given me a tutorial on how to interpret the various visuals provided by any given barrel. I think I would've figured it out, but I could see how some OCD-prone folks could misinterpret some unknown/anomaly in their barrel(s).

It is nice to be able to see this level of detail in our barrels, but at the end of the day, if I had a barrel that shot well, I wouldn't give two shits if I scoped a barrel and it was missing half the rifling. HAHA!!

OP - what were the results of your testing those various types of ammo? What was your expectation of the rifle's capabilities? I'm a fan of KAC's hardware, but I also know, generally speaking, that they are not precision rifles.

still waiting to see cave writing on one of these video's pictures of animals on the cave walls lol native American pictographs of past hunts inside the barrel of someone's gun , maybe a map to the lost location of the holy grail . Every dog finds a bone once in a while .

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BCP and RUTGERS95
This is a borescope vid I shot of one of my AR barrels. The barrel is 16” in length, has a 5.56 chamber, 1-7 twist, and is chrome lined. It has ~150 rds through it. This is a factory upper from a reputable manufacturer. I’d just like some opinions on the current state of the chamber and rifling based on the low round count (150 rds). I’m not having any issues whatsoever with the rifle.

You bought a borescope and put a video out online. Neat!

So much information!

What does that mean? What is satisfactory?

So much information!

What does that mean? What is satisfactory?
I remember observing a group borescoping a lapped bore on a big 32" monitor. They were fixated on lines on lands running parallel with bore axis. Im chuckling. Finally one turns around and asks me 'JR, what are these marks?' I said 'its drag lines from the borescope fingerblasting my lapped barrel. So stop it. '

• Haha
Reactions: MarshallDodge
Neat....story?
Fingerblast. You must be young. Story to be told is nunya have the chops to see an accurate bbl thru a borescope. I dont even. But it is cute to watch those who try.

Fingerblast. You must be young. Story to be told is nunya have the chops to see an accurate bbl thru a borescope. I dont even. But it is cute to watch those who try.
Ive never borescoped a barrel for accuracy.