• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you wish someone told you when you first started in precision shooting?

That the prices of everything were going to double (or more), and that the necessary items were going to be nearly extinct. I started in 2019, on the suggestion of a buddy. Started with a budget build .308 and switched to 6.5CM the next year. My .308 ammo (FGMM) was less than $20/box and the 6.5 Hornady Match was costing around $24/box. Then I got into reloading. Bought a thousand FGMM large rifle primers in August of 2020 for around $40 from Midway, and H4350 powder for around $38/lb. That was the LAST time I’ve even seen large rifle FGMM primers, and large rifle, in general, are nearly impossible to find. I made the switch this year to 6GT, so at least small rifle primers have become plentiful…although about three times what they cost when I got started!
To top it all off, my wife and youngest daughter caught the bug in 2020 and started competing (well, dabbling) in the sport.

Last edited:
Just the truth...sooner or later ya find out...some, like me, are slow learners...and kept spending tens of thousands of dollars on a hobby of little importance, and no one cares about your accomplishments, except you...really.
So the advice was do not become obsessed, with it, as it becomes very expensive and time consuming...and not worth ,"that" price, plus this type of accomplishment doesn't matter on the larger picture of ones life...been there.
Over doing it is costly.
Example: In the HS football Hall of Fame, cost over time: 5 shoulder surgeries, 2 left knee surgeries and a muscle graft, a lifetime pain, for a snapshot in time, of recognition.
Not worth the price, and noone gives a rats ass...because it's justifiably, unimportant.
Just like our shooting endeavors.
One can share information and have a good time, but getting obsessed with it, and thinking it has some significant life importance, or contribution to mankind, is like worshipping a false God.
It depends if you’re in it for the achievement in or in it for the joy of it. I don’t have a trophy case worth a damn but I don’t think I’ve ever wasted a minute behind a rifle, and the friends I’ve made along the way have greatly enriched my life.

If you’re looking for achievement - there probably isn’t a slower or more expensive path outside of club golf.

If you want to save some money up front you can buy some lower quality used gear on the PX and sell when you upgrade. Total cost is minimal and let's you try out options. A ZCO and TT will not improve your shooting, if your going to miss with a mk5 your going to miss with a zco.

Reactions: themightytimmah
IMG_4682.png

Buy what you really want from the rip

I played with one too many factory rifles, then went to customs.

Guess what happened?

They all found new homes because what I really wanted was an AI.

Now I have the AI and then made the mistake of fingerfucking an Impact action, and now have one of those to.

Life’s to short to not get what you want.

Reactions: moosemeat
Knowing powder prices would nearly triple over the next 15 years would have been nice... buying a custom action and having a barrel fitted would have saved me a lot of time, money and headaches verses the factory options I was pursuing. Had I put all that money on Bitcoin I'd be retired and wealthy enough to buy a few hundred acres to play on...

That all said, I started off good with online instruction here and training from Rifle's Only. Since then I've added training from Riflemans Path (Andy Slade) and JTAC. I can't convey how important it is to make time for professional instruction. I've noticed improvements in my prs performance with all of these.

Were it me and I was limited to 400 yards I'd go with a 7 or 7.5 twist 223 and handload my ammo but even if you don't want to handload a quality manufactured 223 round like Berger's 73 and 77 grain would work well. Keep your brass, it's loaded on lapua cases and you can resell that for additional savings. Or keep it till you do reload.

Given your options either 308 or 6.5 CM will work well.

You will hear long range precision is all about mastering the basic fundamentals of marksmanship and that is certainly true. Getting professional instruction is paramount.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

Seems like the consensus is to get some training. So I’ll start there and see what’s around me. Some good suggestions in comments for me to look into.

As far as what to buy - I’ll be looking into a custom bolt that will accept profit barrels in the future.

For now, I have a Ruger American in 22LR I picked up cheap when field and stream was closing up.
I’ll just play around with that until I have a better idea.

And yes, like everything in life, moderation is key.
I’m not likely to get overly obsessed, I’ve got too many other hobbies that are also money pits. (I love my cars, and sporting clays).

Don't get married, Don't have kids... use all that money you'd save to enjoy the sport and take all the above advide.
Can't shoot without money. while some of this could be taken as tongue in cheek.. Others might say, It's spot on.

Reads thread. Goes back to safe and dusts off the RAR 22LR...."This will do".

Go buy any of the three you mentioned in 6.5 creedmoor and head to the range. You said its primarily for the range and for fun. Big fat "maybe" on competition. Go have fun.

My advice is get the Howa its limited aftermarket support will keep you from doing a whole bunch of stupid shit to it.

What I would tell a newer shooter:

- professional training is the best money you can spend on this hobby

- buy once, cry once

- however, your rifle may become an iterative build, as you find out what works and what doesn't, and what your personal preferences are. My first rifle took on many forms before I was finally happy with it

- start off with factory ammo, but move to reloading

- reloading is much more simple then people on the Internet make it out to be. Develop a consistent process, save up to buy quality gear, use good components, and it will become easy

- don't chase speed!!! Consistency over velocity. That extra ~100 fps comes with marginal benefits and big consequences (once you start flirting with the pressure zones)

- concussion beats you up, and probably effects you more than you think. Suppressors are worth their weight in gold.

Carbon for the sake of carbon is just adding another potential failure point. There are instances where I think it's beneficial, such as adding diameter without adding weight for a supressor, but it adds cost and possible issues.

It depends if you’re in it for the achievement in or in it for the joy of it. I don’t have a trophy case worth a damn but I don’t think I’ve ever wasted a minute behind a rifle, and the friends I’ve made along the way have greatly enriched my life.

If you’re looking for achievement - there probably isn’t a slower or more expensive path outside of club golf.
I was always very competitive, achievement was the goal, fun never entered into it, like shooting in very adverse conditions, as training, laying in snow while freezing rain is falling, howling wind and snow storms, to learn how to shoot in these conditions. Nothing affects the practice schedule.
Did I say obsessed?...I set school records in track, in the HS football hall of fame. Came in 2nd fastest kid at state meet.
Beat the navy sniper team in '74 in competition.
Decided organized shooting competition and public ranges were not my cup of tea, so I quit, returned once about a yr ago and was reminded this is not for me.
Comrades and friendships did not develop there ...mostly impossible, boastful, know it all personalities, all out of proportion to their skills. Can't stand them, rather hear a scolding squirrel chirp, up in the mountains.
The people who hung around were already acquainted with me & more like students, who wanted to learn. Women are much more fun to teach. Teaching a woman on the 50BMG is a treat, especially if she is young and attractive.
Mostly I went out alone, solitude was much better, I don't care for people in general. They make easy targets at 1000yds, when you own the area...in case you wanted to know.
Hunted the mountains and high desert alone for most of my time hunting, especially all elk hunting was always alone, in wilderness areas...ya have to be young and strong, old and feeble don't cut it, here.

So I must have put a hundred thousand in shooting sports. Bought a Bridgeport mill, 2 lathes, and all the tooling and a 480 volt 3 phase shop, plus my own chambering reamers. And thats just a start. So I eventually learned... and keep it fun or don't do it...don't become obsessed with things like a fleeting accomplishment that don't matter, as it only affects you and noone else cares. I still enjoy experimenting in building rifles.

Reactions: Ronws
So I must have put a hundred thousand in shooting sports. Bought a Bridgeport mill, 2 lathes, and all the tooling and a 480 volt 3 phase shop, plus my own chambering reamers. And thats just a start. So I eventually learned... and keep it fun or don't do it...don't become obsessed with things like a fleeting accomplishment that don't matter, as it only affects you and noone else cares. I still enjoy experimenting in building rifles.

Now that is a serious setup! What timeframe? I have a friend whose an old timer from the range, and it just blows me away how much harder they had to work in the 90s - hand loading everything on neck turned brass, etc.

The level of factory accuracy and convenience (prefits, match ammo) just blows me away compared to when I started, and I only started shooting long range in 2012.

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty new to guns overall, despite bing “middle age”. I bought my first gun about 2.5 years ago.

I want to get into long range shooting, and there are sooo many different options & opinions.

I have built a couple of AR’s including a custom <4lb AR that I shoot 2-3 moa consistently from a bag with a 3x dot.

I want to build a precision rifle that can get out to 400m + and will be more capable than I am. Both as a beginner and as I grow into it.
I don’t hunt, this is primarily for range, maybe competition a couple years down the road. Mostly for fun.

1st consideration:
Caliber - I’ve been between .308 and 6.5CM. Mostly because I thought .308 would be easier to get and more cost effective.
But searching recently they look to be pretty close in price and availability.
My understanding is 6.5CM has better ballistics farther out.
Should I be considering anything else?

2nd consideration:
Action - completely overwhelmed here.
Howa 1500? Tikka T3? R700?
I’ve been eyeing a Howa M1500 with the carbon barreled action, complete rifle for a price less than the barreled action sells for.
I assume it’s the exact same barrel/ action

I can swap the chassis & trigger at some point in the future.

Barrel length - 24in?

Where are my blind spots.

What did you wish someone role you when you were first starting?

Thanks!
I'd say since this is your first LR rifle it really depends on your range limitations. You said 400 plus meters but will you be limited to say 600 meters? 800 meters? A .223 with fast twist barrel will get you out to 900 meters or more and will cost less than a 308 win or 6.5 CM. If the bulk of your shooting is going to be closer to 400 meters get a .223 trainer. If farther then I'd go with a larger cartridge. Since you don't hunt get a heavy barrel and 26' would be better. I wouldn't shy away from a factory rifle, sure a higher end action would be better. But I've had factory rifles shoot well enough for the first LR rifle. After that you can decide what fits your needs better and research a higher high action that suits your needs.

I wouldn't shy away from a factory rifle, sure a higher end action would be better. But I've had factory rifles shoot well enough for the first LR rifle. After that you can decide what fits your needs better and research a higher high action that suits your needs.

I would. Some do and some don't. Does he want to play that gamble and waste the money on a factory rifle he is going to have to change parts on from the get go and may or may not be accurate or put that money towards a good action and a good build? I know what way I would go.

Unless you are dead set on centerfire, you could get a Rim X or VuDoo rimfire. You won't same much on the cost of the rife or glass but ammo is cheaper and you don't need a 1000 yard range. Match fees are less expensive also.
you mis-typed CZ457 there tough guy. MUCH less $ to get into to try something out AND you can add barrels, chassiseses, etc to the basic action to make what you want as you learn what you want.

For example: my next purchase is likely to be a ~22" x 1.2" barrel to help balance things out cause I've shot my Varmint enough to know that it doesn't balance in the right place. I'll try some weights first because weights cost less than a barrel.

M

edited to add: I'm primarily a cyclist. I recommend $300 bib shorts to n00bs because I've BTDT and know they'll end up wearing them eventually if they get serious. ...but... If you don't know, you don't know and have to get there by experiencing the steps.

When you're new, you just wear whatever and life's good for getting around town. Then you 'get serious' and decide to 'go for a ride. Then you discover that your 'whatever' chafes and things hurt.

Then you decide to get some bike shorts and things get better for short rides.

Which works till you get out for a few hours, then you discover that better pads are important and bibs are indeed more comfortable.

After you get past the couple hours stage and are riding more, you discover that even the better bibs aren't cutting it any more. That's when the $300+ bibs 'are worth it.' So you end up where I suggested, but now you know **why** I recommended them.

Being a n00b at shooting sports, I'm in the 3rd stage of the above. For example: I know that a 'Razor gen whatever' is indeed better, but the price tag still isn't 'worth it' to me

Last edited:
I wish it were possible to learn from the mistakes of others. But, history suggests that everyone is doomed to make the same mistakes of everyone before them. Case in point.

"What's the best multi cal suppressor for the guy that will only buy one?..."
"Help me build hunting/plinking/match/SD/HD rifle..."
"Recce, DMR, or SPR?"
"What's the best cartridge for ____?"

Now that is a serious setup! What timeframe? I have a friend whose an old timer from the range, and it just blows me away how much harder they had to work in the 90s - hand loading everything on neck turned brass, etc.

The level of factory accuracy and convenience (prefits, match ammo) just blows me away compared to when I started, and I only started shooting long range in 2012.
I started in 1972, with a heavy barreled 25-06, then added a 45-70 and shot it way past 1000yds, on the high desert alot before moving to the 308 Win as my main cartridge, and really concentrated on it for a very long time out to 1400yds, belonged to the Varmint Hunters Club for many yrs. Ended up buying a 50BMG for LR squirrels, sage rats, and rock chucks.
Guys like Dan Lilja of Lilja barrel was involved with the 416/338 had some special 350 grain Sierras made. Then built his own 50BMG for elk at 2500 yds.
All this, long before steel shooting and the LR craze with Hornadys PRC or CM cartridges or the 338 Lapua.
We shot live varmints. Then it became outlawed in some states, because of an endangered species, the black tailed prairie dog, was hanging out in the same habit.
And it all went south, the club dissolved.
But I carried on in the mountains, and high desert there were no prarie dogs up here.
I have every cartridge I'm remotely interested in. But I have 8 308s from 16" to 30" barrels twists from 12,11.25, 10, 9, & 8 twists autos and bolts.
But only 2, 6.5 CMs. I have a pretty good idea of what a 308 case can accomplish...with my modifications, why I prefer it, for my use.

I would. Some do and some don't. Does he want to play that gamble and waste the money on a factory rifle he is going to have to change parts on from the get go and may or may not be accurate or put that money towards a good action and a good build? I know what way I would go.
Here's my Remarms ADL 7mm RM in a KRG Bravo. The steel is at 550 yards. Around 42 rounds with just my fire forming handloads. 180gr ELDM.
Edit: I should of said 42 rounds down the barrel at this point. Three shot group on each target.
1710273486179.jpeg
1710273452259.jpeg

Last edited:
We're not talking that great a distance. Sounds like the OP might not go much farther than 400 meters.
In that case, less rifle is more. I got rid of my 300 PRC because I never got to dial more than 5 mils of elevation on it.

I have more fun with my Vudoo at 200-300 yds than I do with my centerfire rifles under 800. Even a 223 might not really challenge wind reading and let you spin the dials at those distances.

Reactions: CheapBasterd
We're not talking that great a distance. Sounds like the OP might not go much farther than 400 meters.

You got one that shoots good with your handloads. Now what about the guy that got the one built Friday afternoon?

And he said 400 "+" so he may be going further and might want to compete. There were no affordable custom actions and shouldered prefits when I started 30+ years ago but there are now and he asked what we wish we were told when we started. If I were starting now I wish someone would tell me exactly what I told him and saved me a bunch of money.

You got one that shoots good with your handloads. Now what about the guy that got the one built Friday afternoon?

And he said 400 "+" so he may be going further and might want to compete. There were no affordable custom actions and shouldered prefits when I started 30+ years ago but there are now and he asked what we wish we were told when we started. If I were starting now I wish someone would tell me exactly what I told him and saved me a bunch of money.
My PSS shoots alittle better than my ADL. Heck I try to more with less. I just got back from testing my Hellcat at the range. Tested the flush fit mags and open sights at 96 yards.

My Howa 1500 must have been built on a Tuesday after the guy got laid Monday night. I literally jumped right in with a factory rifle, no ragerts.

Hell, when I bought it I didnt even know what the fuck an F-class Archemedis Coup De'gra Solus Mack defiance impact bro extra long mini action PRS heavy palma taylor was here speedy cortina prefit blank 180 degree annealed bolt action was.

Be careful of who you listen to on youtube. I made the mistake of building a lightweight precision rifle. It's not great for hunting, not great for PRS. It's accurate as hell, I've shot some impressive groups with it, but it's not built with a specific purpose in mind.

Spend money on glass. Seriously 3k is the starting point on new glass. Don't skimp on glass. Don't upgrade to 3k. Save your money and buy the glass and the reticle you prefer.

Do ask to try out different equipment at a match. Run a few rounds between stocks, chassis, 70* vs 90* actions, etc. I got lucky and went with a Mausingfield. Still one of my favorite actions I've ever used. Had I done this, I would have just went with a McMillan to begin with.

Do take either classes or private lessons. I wanted to take a private lesson on building a shooting position. It was targeted just for this purpose alone. I also took a precision reloader class. It helped tighten up a few things I needed to work on.

Reactions: Part Timer
Take a class.

Fundamentals are paramount.

Nothing you do will help you shoot more consistently that taking a class
This. Then you have somebody that can help you prioritise all these questions as well as teach you the important stuff i.e. skills. Once you have some skills you can work back through these questions and figure out the answers for yourself

For 400 a 223 will do fine. As for factory rifles, today they are adequate, for learning.
Just bought a new Rem 700 in 300 win Mag for the action. The complete cost was $540 for the whole rifle on sale...cheaper than just getting an action.
Decided to shoot it first to see how accurate it was...didn't like the factory stock so I bought an alum chasis for around $400 on sale, I'll use anyway, along with a modified 700 .590" bolt face bolt.
Threaded the barrel for a muzzle brake I already had, free cause I do all the machining. So for $940 what kind of rifle do I have?
Shot it with some old deterated imr 7828 with 200 gr SMK, I can seat the bullets out to 3.7" in the detachable mag making it more competitive to the 300 PRC.
It shot 5 into 1/2". I was out of that powder and none available anywhere...typical.
And shootin 230 grs SMK to 2964 fps .
Tried some max QL suggested powders and ran 200 gr SMK to 3280 fps at it was too hot sticky extraction primer still intact. but 3200 seemed reasonable.
I would not recommend the 300 Win Mag as a beginner tool, especially for 400 meters, as it uses alot of powder and recoil ya don't need for short distances...
But it shows todays factory rifles can be accurate enough to easily get ya started.

Reactions: Mcrider55
Spend money on glass. Seriously 3k is the starting point on new glass. Don't skimp on glass. Don't upgrade to 3k. Save your money and buy the glass and the reticle you prefer.
This part, right here. I’m guilty of it and I’ll echo that to say that any time you think that you saved money buying glass that was a little cheaper, will come back around to bite you when (not if, when) you upgrade.

OP's title : "What do you wish someone told you when you first started in precision shooting?"

I wish they'd have told me there aren't any hot single MILFs hanging out at the ranges and gun shops.

My PSS shoots alittle better than my ADL. Heck I try to more with less. I just got back from testing my Hellcat at the range. Tested the flush fit mags and open sights at 96 yards.

More with less? Exactly my point. If someone wants advice on what to buy it's not the lesser rifle.

My Howa 1500 must have been built on a Tuesday after the guy got laid Monday night. I literally jumped right in with a factory rifle, no ragerts.

Hell, when I bought it I didnt even know what the fuck an F-class Archemedis Coup De'gra Solus Mack defiance impact bro extra long mini action PRS heavy palma taylor was here speedy cortina prefit blank 180 degree annealed bolt action was.

Well going by your name I can see why. LOL I am also cheap but I am not cheap enough to waste money hoping to get something good when I can spend a little more and know I will get something good. It's what the past 30+ years of shooting precision rifles has taught me. I only have one factory rifle now and it's my 1993 Rem 700 .308 that's on it's 9th barrel. It was retired from matches about 18 years ago.

Also you say it as a joke but what if you did know the fuck about "an F-class Archemedis Coup De'gra Solus Mack defiance impact bro extra long mini action PRS heavy palma taylor was here speedy cortina prefit blank 180 degree annealed bolt action" and that you could do something better. Would you have? That's the advantage I am trying to give the OP.

A "lesser" rifle might be just what he needs. The OP didn't still state his range. The skill set is more important than the rifle. People get all caught up in the gear, it's just a tool. The skillset is what counts.

A "lesser" rifle might be just what he needs. The OP didn't still state his range. The skill set is more important than the rifle. People get all caught up in the gear, it's just a tool. The skillset is what counts.

He did. 400 + with possible competitions in the future.

And why would he need a "lesser" rifle that he will end up replacing and dumping money into when he can buy one he will use and learn with and when he misses he knows it's him and not the tool? Skill set counts but it's nothing without the right tool to do the job.

Reactions: CK1.0

How much does it cost to get a rifle that does have ragerts? Do I want ragerts and do they help anything?

JK, could not resist the chance to be an ass.

The cheapest part of this whole thing is the gun... life is short, buy what you want.

If you're on a budget and think you can't quite swing what you want just yet, remember that you better buy shit that other people might want too... or else you'll just be wasting your money buying shit that will be worthless once you know better and decide to flip it.

Reactions: MO Fugga
More with less? Exactly my point. If someone wants advice on what to buy it's not the lesser rifle.

Well going by your name I can see why. LOL I am also cheap but I am not cheap enough to waste money hoping to get something good when I can spend a little more and know I will get something good. It's what the past 30+ years of shooting precision rifles has taught me. I only have one factory rifle now and it's my 1993 Rem 700 .308 that's on it's 9th barrel. It was retired from matches about 18 years ago.

Also you say it as a joke but what if you did know the fuck about "an F-class Archemedis Coup De'gra Solus Mack defiance impact bro extra long mini action PRS heavy palma taylor was here speedy cortina prefit blank 180 degree annealed bolt action" and that you could do something better. Would you have? That's the advantage I am trying to give the OP.
No. It was available, on sale, active coupon, free shipping...all that good stuff.

I buy what I want. The next one will be a superstar I promise.

Reactions: stanley_white
I usually recommend a less sexy but cost effective option for people who want to try long range shooting: Put a scope and bipod on the AR-15 that they probably already have, feed it some quality ammo and learn on that for a bit.

Most new people are blown away by what they can hit with a 1 moa 5.56 if they have somebody calling wind for them. It gets them shooting for cheap and they'll have a better frame of reference when they want to upgrade. They can even move the scope and bipod to the new rifle.

However, if you have the money, I hear the AXSR is bitchin :ROFLMAO:

Don't get married, Don't have kids... use all that money you'd save to enjoy the sport and take all the above advide.
Well that ship has sailed…

Reads thread. Goes back to safe and dusts off the RAR 22LR...."This will do".
Hah.
I mean there’s some truth to “learn to drive a slow car fast.”

I think I have a lot to learn, I honestly don’t know hardly any of the terms/ acronyms I’m seeing here.

And got it, no carbon barrels.
I thought that would give the barrel more rigidity, not necessarily looking for weight reductions.

I figure my 22 is ok to learn basics and figure out what I want.

Need to keep reading and try some stuff out to figure out what suits me.

Reactions: Ronws and 912173
Don't wait, buy what you REALLY want today; as it'll only cost you more tomorrow.
And trust me, even if you don't think so today, you definetly WILL buy it tomorrow.

See, that's the thing. Every rifle you get will be the greatest everything rifle you will ever need. \

Until you see the next great everything rifle that will now be everything you need.

GAS, gear acquisition syndrome. I have seen it happen in other interests outside of guns, but with the same shop talk.

For example, in recording, have a high budget for vocal mics. But keep a handful of Shure SM-57s around. Those are usually less than 100 dollars. More than an even chance that some of the iconic guitar solos on the albums you have loved from the 70s were recording with an SM-57 a centimeter from the grill cloth of an AC-30 amplifier. Because microphones don't care, they hear what they hear.

Talk about some hurt feelings - Scott Grove, a guy who toured for decades, did a blind hearing test. He played through a Fender tube amp, very expensive. And also through a cheapie solid state amp he got at Walmart.

More than half liked the sound from the Walmart amp. But, if they had known, they would have chosen the Fender.

I digress.

I agree with the idea of building on guaranteed quality, which is expensive. But I also know that you will not have just one rifle.

Getting back to cycling since I know that best: I've gone from a 'entry level race bike' to 'custom made with top of the line' components and back to 'chinese made carbon with almost as good parts' on them. At my level of cycling that's enough. I've figured out that it's not about the bike (to quote an unnamed Texan)

I'm constantly amazed at rifle shooters. Seems to me that it IS about the rifle and without spending a college degree on them, you're looked down upon.

M

I'm constantly amazed at rifle shooters. Seems to me that it IS about the rifle and without spending a college degree on them, you're looked down upon.

M

By some but not all and I don't feel that way at all. People need to stay in their budget and as long as they are having fun that's what's important. OP asked for advice though and that is what he is getting and up to him to take the advice that works for him.