• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What does it take to get a reply from a gun builder

77Bronc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2006
Louisiana
Do I need to post a W2 to show I can purchase services? I have called three of the well known and often discussed builders to discuss some work I would like to have done. To discuss options and deliveries before I commit my money. I have called two of the three two times, the other one once and have been waiting for weeks for a call back. Gave them my home and mobile numbers.

I know they are busy, but they are in business to build provide a service. I am not going to say the names, but they are all mentioned here time and time again. In fact the comments and mentions is what directed me to them along with the positive feedback from the SH members.

So I will continue my search for some help. As soon as I get a positive feedback, I will let you know how it turns out.

Whoa!
Typically 3 days is a good response time. But every minute they spend on the phone is minutes away from the build. I have had great responses from PCR, GAP, Louisiana Precision and most recently SAC who is doing my current build. Send and email first then follow up with a courtesy call if you don't hear back in 3-5 days.

Last edited:
I have gotten pretty good responses back from SAC and Spartan Precision Rifles. Do call, you will get a faster response and questions answered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Call Accurate Ordnance , I bet they will call you back in a reasonable amount of time. I've talked to a few others and they have always called me back, summer does suck with kids, family and vacations etc.

SAC has been responsive to me via email. I try not to call. They are usually in the shop working. If you send email w/ details I bet you will get a follow up.
Good luck let us know how it works out.

Trauma1

SAC has answered my calls as well. I try not to call unless it's really important. Mark put together an invoice for me and so far so good. He's actually called me to confirm a few things. On the other hand I've had builders like Superior Tactical Solutions who always returned my calls until they went under haha. Live and learn I guess.

However difficult someone is to contact before the job will be doubled after. I've found this to be true in every industry.

SAC has been very responsive. I have seen several others post that even with all their badgering, Mark was very patient with them and they were very happy with their build. In my communication with them since agreeing to have them build my rifle on the 30th of January, the longest I have waited for a response was three days. Most of them come the next business day.

Use SAC with confidence.

Every time I've called Accurate Ordinance Mark or Woody has picked up. When I asked for a quote for my build it was e mailed in less than 15 minutes. I have no reason to go other places when the product and service is really that good.

Unless the shop has a secretary, send a email. ESP for a quote. Time on the phone is time away from machines and your build. One 15min phone call from you isnt a big deal. When you and 20 other people call for quotes, updates, random stuff...... That time adds up quick. Yeah it sucks to wait for anything in this industry. But thats the price you pay a lot of the time

Call Mark at Accurate Ordnance. I just bought a Tactical Match Rifle from them. Their customer service is top notch. Mark was very timely on returning calls and emails.

Contact Information:
Accurate Ordnance, LLC
724 Patrick Industrial Lane Bldg 100
Winder, GA 30680

678-219-0096
678-261-0916 (fax)
[email protected] (this is often the fastest method for general sales inquiries)

Find a local a local smith in your area.....Go see him in person. If you are in LA, there are a few. You don't have to use a "big name" smith off this board to get a very nice rifle built.

if you can get in with the local shooters in your area ,I bet there is somebody they know local that can put a rifle together as good as any of the big name shops,,

looks like trevor had the same thoughts 4 minutes before i did,,lol

if you can get in with the local shooters in your area ,I bet there is somebody they know local that can put a rifle together as good as any of the big name shops,,

looks like trevor had the same thoughts 4 minutes before i did,,lol

I wish more people understood this.....

When I was searching for my first build I contacted SAC, AO, Beanland, Crescent Customs, RP Rifles, Stuteville and everyone answered emails within 2 days or answered the phone right away.

I'd say you've just been having some bad luck when trying to contact the builders. I always made contact in the morning before they really started working

Unless the shop has a secretary, send a email. ESP for a quote. Time on the phone is time away from machines and your build. One 15min phone call from you isnt a big deal. When you and 20 other people call for quotes, updates, random stuff...... That time adds up quick. Yeah it sucks to wait for anything in this industry. But thats the price you pay a lot of the time

I have found that they respond to e-mails fairly quickly. I'll bet they do it in their time out of the shop, but they can at least feel like they have enough time to properly answer your questions.

Yes and thanks to all, all outstanding suggestions and recommendations. Amazing, all 'smiths and shops mentioned as "will reply quickly" are not the ones I have tried to contact. That tells me a lot.

I am going to make a list of all the names you replied with and start there. I did try to find Louisiana Precision and I am getting a blank website screen, nothing comes up. Can anyone tell me where in LA he is located? Still in business?

Thanks SH members.

Just sent my rifle to SAC, I've only communicated with them via email. I send them an email and I get a response within 24 hours. They have been awesome to deal with so far.

I would throw Jon Beanland into your mix of smiths. He is a one man shop so he may not answer the phone right away....he will call you back though. He's building a 6.5cm for me right now, so don't take too much of his time.

Short action customs, crescent customs, pheonix precision rifles and beanland rifles have all done work for me and have replied to me quickly.

Maybe this will help you... I retrieved contact info below from an earlier cached copy of Louisiana Precision Rifles "Contact" web page:

GET IN TOUCH WITH US

You can contact William Roscoe of Louisiana Precision Rifles at:
Phone: (318) 422-0421

or drop us an email at: Email: [email protected]

SHIPPING

Your rifle should be Insured and Shipped in a padded gun case to prevent damage during shipping. Rifles received with no case will be return shipped in an appropriate case at an additional charge.

We assume no liability for damaged items during shipping. Midway now sells specialty boxes for Shipping of your long guns.

Our Shipping address is as follows:

Louisiana Precision Rifles, LLC
2147 Forest Hills Blvd.
Haughton, LA 71037

Call or email Mark or Woody at Accurate Ordnance in Winder, GA.
Courteous, professional, intelligent and timely. Oh and they turn out excellent rifles!
678-219-0096
[email protected]

Guys,

My www has been pulled down as I am in the process of slowing it down. Over the past few weeks I've probably turned down 30+ jobs. With back logs and delays I am no longer taking work. Within two years or less I will no longer be building rifles. You heard it here first. For future work I'd look at the following smiths as their work is flawless. I will add that the following names are not in any particular order. Be very cautious in today's market as there's a ton of smoke and mirrors being used.

Mark Gordon @ SAC
Greg Young at Bugholes.com
Spartan Rifles
Robert Gradous
Jared Joplin at APA (American Precision Arms)
GAP

When building my .280AI, I first emailed the smith I wanted to use for a timeframe and an estimate. After I received both we spoke on the phone for well over an hour discussing my build. Once all parts were in his hands, I was informed of my "queue" in his system. I received pics of rifle built before it was shipped as well as another phone call thanking me for my business.

Just email em again and be patient

Guys,

My www has been pulled down as I am in the process of slowing it down. Over the past few weeks I've probably turned down 30+ jobs. With back logs and delays I am no longer taking work. Within two years or less I will no longer be building rifles. You heard it here first. For future work I'd look at the following smiths as their work is flawless. I will add that the following names are not in any particular order. Be very cautious in today's market as there's a ton of smoke and mirrors being used.

Mark Gordon @ SAC
Spartan Rifles
Robert Gradous
GAP

Mr. Roscoe,

Thanks for the reply and the recommendations. Your short list is a good one, as yes these are well respected builders. I will use these and also names mentioned in other post as a starting point. Best of luck in your post rifle building endeavors.

I have been dealing with Ken at GAP and every time I have called this last moth he either has answered or called me later that day. So far I'm very happy with their attentiveness. I have a scheduled apt to pick up my 6.5 CM Tuesday morning. I think it nice that they will take a scheduled time to spend with you on your new rifle and not just say here ya go see ya.

Jered at APA was great to deal with when he built my AR10
Dave Tooley did two barrels for my AI you couldn't ask for a more professional guy.

if it was tactical rifles, first thing is dont email, just go there, ring the doorbell, and punch whoever answers the door in the face as hard as you can. Then call or email any of the builders listed above

if it was tactical rifles, first thing is dont email, just go there, ring the doorbell, and punch whoever answers the door in the face as hard as you can. Then call or email any of the builders listed above

I believe it's propper ediquette to yell "You kno why!" after delivery of the punch.

Last edited:

After reading the list of post here about this, I can see where this would be a good approach, for TRdotnet of course...

Greg at SOUTHERN PRECISION RIFLES has done my work (308, 6.5CM, 300WM), have been more than satisfied.

If Marc or Woody (AO) do not get back to you immediately I will commit to drive up there myself and find out WTF is going on. Based on significant experience I would expect to find:

1. Nothing but dead bodies
2. A building burned to ashes (though, I think would be a piss poor excuse)
3. Thomas to have gotten into a bad batch of Absinthe and staged some sort of coup or revolt. In spite of all appearances to the contrary I do think him a capable individual.

In any event, please let me know.

Last edited:
Check out pierce engineering. highly recommend them. they just helped me out of a jam. I dropped of at 430 last yesterday and picked up at lunchtime today.

With back logs and delays I am no longer taking work. Within two years or less I will no longer be building rifles. You heard it here first.

I hate to hear that, you've been very helpful to many of us learning and have developed an enviable reputation. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Call Mark at Accurate Ordnance. I just bought a Tactical Match Rifle from them. Their customer service is top notch. Mark was very timely on returning calls and emails.

Contact Information:
Accurate Ordnance, LLC
724 Patrick Industrial Lane Bldg 100
Winder, GA 30680

678-219-0096
678-261-0916 (fax)
[email protected] (this is often the fastest method for general sales inquiries)

+1

Find a local a local smith in your area.....Go see him in person. If you are in LA, there are a few. You don't have to use a "big name" smith off this board to get a very nice rifle built.

This. I wanted a Gradous rifle in the worst way. Initially he was responsive to a question and was willing to do the work once I got the parts. It was just 1-2 emails as I had done my research, knew what I wanted, etc. Well after getting my chit in and ray to drop off, I emailed him and it took a week before a reply. I know he is busy and all but rifle smithing is anal retentive attention to detail and sound machining practices.

I gave Joe Collier a call, he answered, and within a week I dropped off the parts (he had done some minor work before). A month later and I had my rifle that the test target is in the 0.1" range at 100yds. I found out about him going to local 1000yd shoots where his rifles were tearing it up!

Again, I'm not bashing Robert as his work speaks for itself. I'm just saying the level of quality we want/demand can be achieved by more than 10-20 shops on this forum.

One of the worst when it comes to customer service. Send them an email and read the auto response you get.

I'm curious to hear you say that, because I've sent them two relatively dumb questions about mods to GAP rifles I already own and I've gotten an intelligent email back within a few days.

Guys,

Mark Gordon @ SAC
Spartan Rifles
Robert Gradous
GAP

I'm sure there will be a lot of people saddened to hear that.