• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What exactly happens during NFA paperwork process?

SophaKing

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2010
Columbus OH
Does anyone know what exactly takes place with the paper work and finger print cards. As far as whats the examiners duties are once he or she picks up your paper when its your turn?

Re: What exactly happens during NFA paperwork process?

I've got my opinions on what they do, but I'll keep my mouth shut for now as I have paperwork in the pipe currently.

You wait........ Then wait some more.

It sits on a Goverment Employees desk for a good while, then he/she whose whole family is on food stamps and free housing types your name into the computer, yer name comes up green for GTG, or red for idiot loser like them, they take a coffee break, piss, return to there desk and get there smokes, smoke, do another in the stack, and repeat the break piss cig cycle until lunch, after lunch they call a pay phone at there projects to ck on there shit, then the break piss cig cycle again, one more in the stack and it's quittin time, so let's recap, 5 coffee piss cig breaks and four people approved or rejected a day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sits on a Goverment Employees desk for a good while, then he/she whose whole family is on food stamps and free housing types your name into the computer, yer name comes up green for GTG, or red for idiot loser like them, they take a coffee break, piss, return to there desk and get there smokes, smoke, do another in the stack, and repeat the break piss cig cycle until lunch, after lunch they call a pay phone at there projects to ck on there shit, then the break piss cig cycle again, one more in the stack and it's quittin time, so let's recap, 5 coffee piss cig breaks and four people approved or rejected a day. </div></div>
either all this happens, or your sh%& gets shredded by accident.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sits on a Goverment Employees desk for a good while, then he/she whose whole family is on food stamps and free housing types your name into the computer, yer name comes up green for GTG, or red for idiot loser like them, they take a coffee break, piss, return to there desk and get there smokes, smoke, do another in the stack, and repeat the break piss cig cycle until lunch, after lunch they call a pay phone at there projects to ck on there shit, then the break piss cig cycle again, one more in the stack and it's quittin time, so let's recap, 5 coffee piss cig breaks and four people approved or rejected a day. </div></div> This was supposed to stay a secrect. If you rush them they will be stressed and spend more time having to relieve all the stress from this hard job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">either all this happens, or your sh%& gets shredded by <span style="font-weight: bold">accident</span>. </div></div>As legit as a weapon accident.

Ever since it's been sent out to West Virginia, I find that the examiners are more responsive and moving faster. There has been a rush lately, but I suspect it is in the process of calming down. My last stamp took five months for a SBR, but in fairness, I omitted something on a fingerprint card. My examiner called me at about 7 in the evening to collect the information and it took about six weeks past that. Now I have to get another one ready for my 10" .357 Sig AR.

Re: What exactly happens during NFA paperwork proc

I saw that on the fingerprint card the addresses was martinsburg wv. But when I.mailed the final.packet in it went to.Atlanta ga. That's why I was wondering what the process was once it was.opened.? Do the cards get.sent off and.paperwork stays with examiners?

my sbr took about 2 months tops maybe only a month in a half, suppressor took 2.5 months exactly

they have a whole stack of papers in their inbox and when your papers finally get to the top of the stack they do a Federal Records Check to ensure you are not a criminal - if not, they approve it and goes to another section for mailing it to your dealer which sets in another stack while they build an envelope with your dealers address on it. Then it goes to the mail room where it finally gets mailed out - not Voodoo just plain government bureaucracy slow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jakebrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw that on the fingerprint card the addresses was martinsburg wv. But when I.mailed the final.packet in it went to.Atlanta ga. That's why I was wondering what the process was once it was.opened.? Do the cards get.sent off and.paperwork stays with examiners? </div></div>

I believe the checks are removed from the packet and deposited in Atlanta, then the packet goes on along it's merry way. On my last one the check cleared the day after I mailed it off. I can write a check at the grocery store down the street and it doesn't clear that fast...

Thanks for the input .. just was trying to.wrap my.mind some type of formula or reason to put a timeline on the process. But there isn't one at all. Trying to turn.my thought process off to its gets.there when it gets there????????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jakebrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know what exactly takes place with the paper work and finger print cards. As far as whats the examiners duties are once he or she picks up your paper when its your turn? </div></div>

Several folks do, but I can't find the thread. Check over on SilencerTalk. The entire process was listed out by a knowledgeable member within the last month.

Here is the thread: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58050

And here is what the user said:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, here's the process, yes there are some gaps, sorry:

Your tax-paid form goes to the bank in Atlanta where the payment is stripped out and processed. Once it's stripped out, all documents get stamped with the first letter of the transferor's or maker's name, the day of the year, and the number of that letter for that day. The first form for the letter A on February 1 is A03201. If it's an individual transferee or maker, a P is stamped in from of the A, and the two types of forms are segregated.

The forms get sent to Martinsburg where they go through data entry. There are six data entry techs, so this takes about a month. They input the info on the transfer form into the NFRTR, not the examiner. Once they are in the system, the forms get assigned to the examiner by letter. Yes, they do still do that. It's a little fluid due to workload issues. Note that being assigned a letter means that all agency transfers/registrations by states with that letter are also that examiner's responsibility.

Once it gets assigned to an examiner, things get a little hazy. Fingerprints are scanned and sent off to the FBI for processing. This takes time because FBI is backlogged, and if the prints are rejected, processing all other individual applications at that examiner gets stalled while that is resolved.

What the examiner actually does when they process an application: they examine who the parties to the transaction are, and whether they are allowed to take part in whatever they're trying to do. For individuals that means checking the print results. For legal entities that means going down a state-specific checklist to make sure everything DOJ's lawyers say should be there are actually there. If not, it gets sent over to legal for review by one of their lawyers. Once that's done, they check the history of the weapon (if there is one) to ensure it's allowed to be possessed by whomever is trying to possess it. Dealer samples, Form 10 guns, etc. They also look at the reason for possession. Current orders are that "cute" ones are to get sent to legal - another delay point.

Once that's done, they check to make sure the payment was good. If it was not, then all applications for that day/letter combo are held until it's resolved.

Once everything is settled, they stamp their name (and their supervisor's name) on the form and send it to the mail room. They update the NFRTR to reflect the new registrant. Done.

It should be noted that examiners spend a lot of time resolving errors. Bounced checks are extremely common, as are improperly made out ones (yes, it really does matter who you make the check out to, at least at some level). People sending in one-sided forms happens all the time. Unreadable fingerprints and invalid trusts are also big issues. It takes time to fix that, and time spent fixing people's mistakes is time not spent processing transfers.

It takes a fair amount of time - the branch record for transfers processed in a month by one examiner is a little over 4k, and that's with working weekends. It's not rubber-stamp work; they're expected to be able to resolve issues without having to go to a supervisor every five minutes. Which could easily happen with all the frankly bizarre stuff that comes across their desks on a daily basis.

As an interesting aside, the transfer tax money goes into the general fund, but is earmarked for HUD. That's right, we're paying for the projects. We bought Arevalo's crib! </div></div>

they throw darts with all the names on the board and who ever is hit they work on that day.

Thank you for the Awesome Reply -Im In pending status as of MAY9 checked cleared March9, Examiner is Ted Clutter, I called Yday and spoke with operator, She told me the day the paperwork went pending and that the exmainer had no notes of any errors. So it looks like im just in line..

I almost feel like putting a wal mart gift card on top of the form with a note that says: Please put mine on the top of the stack
smile.gif

My last one was approved in 62 days after it went pending. It was on a trust if that makes any difference. Took 15 more days to arrive at my dealer in Tucson, AZ. Don't remember the examiner off the top of my head.