• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors What fits my needs for a 22lr can?

TGagnon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
Colorado Springs Co
I have several cans now but the one thing that has bothered me is my first can, a 22lr cascade monocore, is a pain in the arse to clean/service. Haven't seen many 22 cans first hand so don't know who makes something that can meet my needs.
I shoot 22lr by the case through my 22's to the point I have to purchase ammo in 5k cases several cases at a time. I need an all steel suppressor that I can break down and clean through manual means such as tumbling, blasting, brushing.

My cascade seizes up to often to be much fun and more of a chore at the range. I need the can to be able to be easily broken down after putting 5000 rounds through it. I know that there will be tons of lead build up at that amount but my cascade seizes up after maybe 400 rounds.
No concern about weight here as this can will be run on the 10/22's and my Kimber 82G and the cascade will stay on the MKII full time once I get the new can approved.

Re: What fits my needs for a 22lr can?

I think the Sparrow SS would fit your bill, but there might be some smaller outfits that make a all steel can. I'd imagine it would be heavy though...

If you haven't used a soda blaster to clean one yet, I'd recommend it.

I have used a Silencerco Sparrow on my American 180 machine gun firing thousands of rounds in a short period of time. It is easy to clean. SRT arms made me a custom suppressor for the American 180 which knocks down quickly and is also easy to clean. They should have some stock suppressors of similar nature. Check out the Zephyr XL. It is cheap and easy to break down and clean.

Marty Seidler
San Antonio Arms Company
www.guntrustlawyer.net

My stainless sparrow has been pretty easy to clean (relative to the aluminum version).

I still think you're going to struggle to find any rimfire can that can go 5000 rounds without cleaning. (That is to say... the time investment cleaning at 5000 rounds is going to be much greater than cleaning 5 times at 1000 rounds).

Lightly coating the clamshells and threads of my sparrow has made cleaning especially easy, though it does smoke for the first few magazines.

After poking around I think the only way I would get to 5000 rounds is by going with a larger size as far as volume is concerned. Only one I have seen is that gemtech clone they make and I don't want that big. I do have access to a machine shop and might just make my own and go with a 1.5 or 1.75 outer tube.
I will check out Silencerco here in a sec but something along the lines of this can but in a slightly larger volume as I don't need to worry about it blocking sights.
http://www.swrsuppressors.com/products/rimfire/spectre-II#specs
The one thing it will be used most on is I bought two 10/22's while home for personal use. One a takedown and the other the tactical with threaded barrel. My first project once home is to take the barrel and stock parts I need from the tactical and make a second quick detach barrel out of the threaded barrel. Then I can have a standard and threaded barrel as well as the receiver with red dot and a suppressor all in one pack to grab and go as needed.

After 5000 rounds that can is going to be heavy. A Ti can would be the lightest.

the clam shell in the ss sparrow seems like it would be the easiest to bust part. i would vote on the element/element 2 but even with the pusher tool, 5k rds will be a bitch to get the baffles out.

I'd go with the Sparrow.

Personally, with 5000 rounds being your requirement between cleanings, your not likely to be real happy with any can.

Ditto on the soda blaster. I just got one from the cheapo import place and was blown away (pun intended). Cleaned every speck of nasty black goo from all my rimfire cans almost instantly. Just imagine using the equivalent to a spray can to remove any debris, paint or other detritus from your metal surfaces...

Clean your Cascade MC more often, and keep it lubed up with a penetrating oil like Elite Iron/Bob Marvel's or Kroil or PB Blaster. Your results will be easier disassembly and cleaning.

Heres how I clean my YHM Mite. Yes, there are people saying its not good to use Stainless Steel Media on a can, others say its the shit!
Look at the pics and decide how you want to clean yours..
And I agree that going 5k rounds between cleanings on a 22 can is crazyyyyyyyy. That many rounds will cause you hell in getting that can apart. All that build up will seal that can shut. Every 1k-1500 rounds is a good # to stay at.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3484248