• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What form of payment/checks does ATF accept?

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Sending off two forms for suppressors and was wondering what payment forms will they accept.

Will they accept USPS money orders or certified checks or personal checks only? Reason I ask is I don't want to wait a month or so for $400 to hit my account, just in case funds are low. I have a baby coming shortly and ALOT of money wil be going out of the account, so I would like to avoid dipping into the negative.

Last edited:
    I have always done a personal check also. I also keep my checkbook reconciled so I always know the amount of money in the account.

If you set up a trust use a check from the trust account. I think that's the official way to purchase and pay taxes as the trust is the owner.

From the instructions on the form:

h. Remittance. A check or money order, made payable to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, in the amount for the appropriate rate of tax (see instruction 2i) must be submitted with the ATF Form 4. Do not send cash.

I've used a USPS money order when I didn't have a check available in the name of my trust. Internet wisdom advises this approach instead of sending a personal check, to avoid any questions over who or what is funding the purchase. Not sure it's necessary, but certainly doesn't hurt. (Use your trust name as the payer on the money order.)

I've used a personal check on every one I've ever sent in. All of mine have been cashed within 10 days of mailing them, including the last two that were mailed on 7/16/13.