• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What happened to the scouts?

The latest sucker punch received by scouting is coming from an unexpected source:

"Future Relationship with the BSA

We are recommending that local churches change their relationship with their scouting units.

If your local church currently charters a scout unit, we recommend that you NOT renew that chartering agreement when it is up for renewal or re-chartering this fall. Instead, we recommend one of two options, the choice of which is up to you.

1. Tell the local scout council that you will NOT renew that chartering agreement but will only extend the current agreement until December 31, 2021.

2. Tell the local scout council that you will NOT renew that chartering agreement but will enter into a Facilities Use Agreement with their unit until December 31, 2021. This will act similar to a lease allowing the scout unit to use your space, but they will be responsible for everything else, including the selection of leaders.

After December 31, 2021, we should be in a better position to see how the future will unfold. Once a BSA plan is approved by the bankruptcy court, we will know better how to proceed.

If your local church does not charter a scout unit at this time, we recommend that you NOT consider chartering a unit until the bankruptcy case is finalized and we have an understanding of how The United Methodist relationship with scouts will continue in the future."

The pack my buddy runs in a nearby town just got its charter yanked this week in response to this guidance. No word yet from our pack's church leadership, but I don't think this will be a case of "no news is good news".

I'd have more respect for the guidance if it was based on religious or moral objection to what has occurred within scouting, but it appears to be a case of basic CYA. Not sure yet how this upholds the Scout Law - particularly the parts about being Loyal and Brave. It should be a robust discussion with a group of parents and grade-school boys who have already been kicked in the pants enough over the past two years.

Meanwhile:

"Membership for the BSA’s flagship Cub Scouts and Scouts BSA programs dropped from 1.97 million in 2019 to 1.12 million in 2020, a 43% plunge, according to figures provided to The Associated Press. Court records show membership has fallen further since then, to about 762,000."

There are many reasons for this precipitous decline, but the most disappointing is the number of parents and community members who want to take shots from the cheap seats instead of fixing all the problems they perceive.

On the plus side, my oldest son rocked his Rifle merit badge course at camp a few weeks ago, and was the first in that group to earn his Marksmanship patch. This helped my ego recover from the bruising it received during the adults-only clays competition.

You may have some limited success, if your in a rural area. But remember, the population demographics. Now its mostly suburbia and city most dont see the need or advantage of being able to start a fire with a couple sticks. Thats why we're getting more gun ordinances etc.The skills most want today are for computers, or pro basketball. My/our way of life is slowly phasing itself out.

This reminded me of this...

I take my kids to do stuff. We go shooting, camping, fishing, 4 wheeling, and even play video games when it's -20* outside. Neither one will be a mechanic, but they help me fix stuff in the shop.
I haven't bothered looking into the local scouts because the two guys in charge are scum. One is a huge stoner with two drug addicted kids. The other is worthless and creepy (may very well be ok, but talk to him for 5 minutes and you get the feeling kids shouldn't be allowed near him).

I don't know what to do--Cub and Boy scouts led me to my love and appreciation of the outdoors. Lots of good memories and its a shame how people are tearing it down.

Reactions: Maggot
I was in scouts for years, but would never let my kids do it now due to the organization being so screwed up. Homosexuality/child molesters being the main problem. Allowing openly gay leaders to be around kids just makes it easier for them. I can fully teach my kids about the outdoors.

Its so bad (with everything) that when I taught preschool Sunday School all the adults looked at me like I was a pedo.

I just told the head person--put me where you need help.

I plead with anyone who has the time, skills, and patience - please help out with your local pack/troop, and ask others do the same. The single biggest problem right now is leadership at the local level. There are too few adult leaders, and those that remain get closer to burn-out with each day. Step in, step up, and do what you can to grow the next generation of boys into men. It's difficult, but a hell of a lot more satisfying than bitching on the internet.

Of course, this assumes that your local charter exists beyond the end of this year :(

Scouting is alive and well....Why the angst?

1627652740468.png