• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What heater for Reloading Room in garage????

laanguiano

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
I have a 2 car garage and its been getting to around 30 degrees inside it, which is darn cold to spend a few hours reloading in. What heaters do you suggest for staying warm in the garage?

Re: What heater for Reloading Room in garage????

Whatever keeps you comfortable but stays at a safe distance so there are no powder kernels that can be misdirected in it.

My shop has central heating and air. But the air compressor makes a racket when it's running. To get away from the noise, but still keep the compressor from freezing, I built a small room. (4' X 4' X 8'tall and ran a single duct from the heat and air ducting into the compressor room. I used another piece of duct as a vent back into the central shop.)

Ignition sources could spell danger. If you have central air, you should maybe just run another duct to the garage that you can close off with a large fridge' magnet when not in use.

I used to load in a 2 car garage, and a small heater didn't work very well. It knocks a few degrees off, but would still be chilly. I would wear my hunting over-alls when loading.

My reloading room is a small guest house behind my house. I use a oil filled radiator style heater to keep things warm. Got it from Wal-Mart.

Sounds to me like you are a couple of C clamps, a board, and a scratched up kitchen table shy of a pissed off wife
wink.gif

One of these:
51212FW6MZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Trow some powder into the back of it when you want an extra boost of heat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds to me like you are a couple of C clamps, a board, and a scratched up kitchen table shy of a pissed off wife
wink.gif
</div></div>

+1... This is exactly what I did when I started handloading. A small towel can let the press mount firmly to the table and not scratch the table's surface. You might want to counter the force of the press by putting your "off" hand on the top of the press and push it back as you push the ram handle down.

I have seen photos of a closet operation that had like a folding ironing board that the press was attached to. Then there was a leg that came down very close to the press to contact the floor.

Try to not make the wife too mad.

Good luck.

I have used a 28,00 btu propane heater in the garage. I normally use them when camping in the winter.

just put a mr heater maxx heat 75000 btu natural gas in same type of setup with a thermostat it is very nice to reload now. Put it at opposite corner from bench for safty. northern tool has a good price on them

Those flame heaters aren't a bad option IF you heat up the place, turn the heater off and then reload.

Just like any normal considerations for using one of those where flammable liquids are you can use it.

My dad did this for a few years before he put central heating in the shop. He would just turn the heater on and go get a cup of coffee. By the time he was ready to load it was warm, he'd turn it off, and get the flammable stuff out.

When it was cold again, he'd put the flammables away and repeat the process.

This is a good question, glad you asked it.

I use an electric oil filled radiator style heater. My reloading room is leads into an unheated room and it's been damned cold (4 degrees) the last few nights. The heater works well enough at taking the chill off but I worry about leaving it on as long as I do. I check the cord, plug and outlet daily and it's never gotten warm enough to cause concern.

Forced Propane is a great way to go. I like my 100yr old kerosine heater. It's enough to knock the chill off. Warmth won't cause an explosion, a spark or excessive heat will, seems alot of people are being a little nervous on here. Maybe ya'll need to throw a lit cigarette into some gas on your off time and see what happens. It'll make a pssst sound. Of course you could also pour a line of powder out and light it. Don't try it with primers though.

Because I park a car in my detached garage, code here says my flame has to be six feet off the floor. My only option here is a horizontal ceiling mount Modine heater. I run one on a 100gal LP tank outside and keep things at 45 degrees min so nothing freezes.

A 40-70k btu (depending on garage size) gas furnace hung from the ceiling would be completely safe. Several manufacturers of home furnaces offer them for around $400. An added benefit is setting the thermostat to 60 degrees and getting in a warm truck every morning.

Propane makes water when it burns, so any type of propane direct heat is going to put
a lot of moisture in your garage. It rusts your tools pretty quick. We see it a lot up
here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bladeweaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because I park a car in my detached garage, code here says my flame has to be six feet off the floor. My only option here is a horizontal ceiling mount Modine heater. I run one on a 100gal LP tank outside and keep things at 45 degrees min so nothing freezes. </div></div>

Code? Nobody's going to check a house that's already built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds to me like you are a couple of C clamps, a board, and a scratched up kitchen table shy of a pissed off wife
wink.gif
</div></div>

Kinda my thoughts. I live in a studio apartment and my reloading table is an $18 desk from Ikea. It gets the job done.

The only thing you would have to worry about the propane is if you reload over carpet. Over time powder will get into the carpet and if it gets a flame things might not end up too well. Reload on hard surfaces and sweep once a month and you should be gtg.

You hear about fires at indoor shooting ranges all the time. The unburned powder ends up in front of the firing line and over a few years of people shooting and no really cleaning a spark/flame will light the years worth of unburned powder and the range will be talking with their insurance agent.

I have no concerns about having powder or primers out in my shop with natural gas heater hanging 8 feet off floor in opposite corner probably 20 feet away at a minimum from my bench. I figure as long as I don't get crazy and throw powder in the air everything will be fine. Paranoia would be the only reason I would shut mine off but I don't see a reason to. A gas can in the corner would be more worrysome for me than a pound of powder in my dispenser on the bench. Just my .02