• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes What height Burris XTR rings for Rem 700?

tlsmith22

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
ALABAMA
It is a 5R, EGW 20 MOA base, and a Bushnell 4200 Elite with a 50mm objective. I called opticsplanets and they recommend an Xhigh?? I would have thought a med or high. I want the scope just high enough to clear scope caps. Thank you

Re: What height Burris XTR rings for Rem 700?

Mine worked with Med rings and a leupold 1" 50mm (O.D like 62mm) scope. Plenty of room left.

Alan

Which base do you run? I was thinking medium too.

EGW bases tend to run a little lower,and if it's a 20 moa base that makes it worse, but Remington 700's have a larger dia. action. You MIGHT be able to get away with low rings.

Check the precision rifle pictures threads here, SC and ARFCOM. Somebody has got to be running that setup and you may be able to get the info you need that way.

p.s. Don't trust Optics Planet for ANYTHING except to sell you stuff, cheap.
grin.gif

John

I have the Burris XTR 30MM low rings on my 700 holding a Millet's TRS-1, on a Farrel one piece standard base and I still have a little more than 1/8" cleareance at the objective side with Buttler Creek Caps on.

I got away with the low rings when I had my WOTAC (50mm obj.) mounted, but it's a really long scope and I'm not sure it would have cleared a straight taper barrel. But again, the Tikkas have a smaller dia. action than the Remingtons which puts the scope closer to the barrel.

When I bought rings I ordered lows and mediums and sent back the ones I didn't use, but that was Midway. I'd ask first about return policy.

John

You have to watch Burris heights as they measure from the base to the bottom of the tube where most measure to the center of the tube. So add .5" to a 1" tube and .55" to a 30mm tube when looking at their heights.

I used a 50mm scope and the same base on a 5R and got by with the Low XTR rings. It gave just enough room for a Butler Creek cap. YRMV.

I have a set of xtr lows on my 700 with a nightforce 50mm obj. and a 20 moa ken ferral rail. I have almost 5/16ths after I put on the butler creek cap.

I have been looking at rifle pics and it seems no one ever list the height of their rings. I am seriously thinking of taking a chance on the low rings.

Another thing to think about while we're on the subject... I have never installed a pair of XTR rings that I did not think needed to be lapped (yes, my bases are either bedded or thoroughly checked). They just are not built to the same standards as say, a TacOps rifle.
grin.gif
(And it's reflected in the cost). But with the proper tools and a little elbow grease, they can be made to be very useable (although I'm still not sure if I would trust my life to them).

John

I'm having to order a new set of lows. I mounted mediums on an EGW 15moa base 700 sa varmint and vortex viper 50mm obj. the mediums are too high, i cant get a cheek weld.

Tls,
I would get the measurements of whatever combo you are looking at. I have a set of the Burris XTR's in Med and Lo. With the med's my nikon's 50mm obj was about 0.5 above barrel, I thought I could get away with using the lo's. Put them on, and the power ring was touching the EGW 20moa base, so the med's are what's on there now. Hope that helps.

SY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SYK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tls,
I would get the measurements of whatever combo you are looking at. I have a set of the Burris XTR's in Med and Lo. With the med's my nikon's 50mm obj was about 0.5 above barrel, I thought I could get away with using the lo's. Put them on, and the power ring was touching the EGW 20moa base, so the med's are what's on there now. Hope that helps.

SY </div></div>

I had this same problem with my Falcon 4-14. Removed the last two picatinny slots with a mill. No more interferance. Nothing was ever going to go back there anyway.
smile.gif

John

My Remmy 700 took Burris XTR medium rings with Nightforce base w/ Nightforce 5.5-22x50.Easily have room for scope caps without jamming 'em on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlsmith22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking at rifle pics and it seems no one ever list the height of their rings. I am seriously thinking of taking a chance on the low rings. </div></div>

Find out Opticsplanet's return policy to see if the let you exchange them if you buy the wrong one. If not, contact Donnie at Big River Tactical and ask him what he can do for you....
You only have time & shipping cost to loose.