• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision what helmet to buy?

Mclovinguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2008
Dickinson ND
I don't really need a kevlar helmet so please don't recomend any of those. I neex a decent helmet to mount my pvs-14 too. I also have a huge dome and need one in a l/xl size.

The one that fits your melon. Seriously. See if you can try the A-Alpha, Ops Core Base Jump, and Team Wendy Exfil. Get whatever fits best. Most mounting brackets have enough adjustability that any of the helmets listed will work.

Last edited:
When you say a big melon.....is that a 7 3/4 or larger?

As with most things when you are outside the 95% you best try before you buy......

I have a 7 3/4 and went to the Ops Core

I don't really need a kevlar helmet so please don't recomend any of those. I neex a decent helmet to mount my pvs-14 too. I also have a huge dome and need one in a l/xl size.

This will mostly come down to your budget to begin with. Both OPS and Team Wendy stabilize the helmet the best while wearing a 14, but the TW's are a bit more comfortable. We have a ample supply in stock of many helmet and mounting solutions here based on your requirements. Helmets ? Catalog Categories ? Tactical Night Vision Company

Counter balancing your helmet is also an important aspect especially if you move a good deal while wearing the 14. Most are very surprised how much counterbalancing assists with keeping the 14 from nose diving or just the front over forward feeling eliminated. EOG Low Profile Counter Weight Short ? Tactical Night Vision Company They're also simple DIY ways to mount a counter balance to the back of your helmet with some Velcro such as some lead strips and other items to simply offset the weight you can save a few bucks this way. Hope this helps.

Vic

Team Wendy Exfil is awesome with the BOA adjustment strap/ring/whatever you call it. I like it so much I'm having my supply Sgt order a ballistic version with that type of head mount for the whole team. Definitely beats Army issue, hands down.

if you shop around and for the price I would try a modified CVC shell

what I did was take the CVC removed everything and just kept the shell. added the new pad kit and chinstrap kit for the ach helmets. put the rhino mount on it and my go pro mount added some hook and loop for patches ect... and ready to rock and roll..

spend maybe 100 dollars but I really like it. especially because on the sides its open so you can fit any type of headset earpro with it.. plus still very lite.

Another recommendation for the Team Wendy LTP, it fits like a second skin. Pick up a Explosive Ops Low Profile Counterweight Short ModArmory p/n LPCWS. It can be form fitted to the rear of the helmet making it very unobtrusive and snag resistant.

I'm going to do a slight hijack here.

Once I get my PVS-14 from TNVC, I'm pretty much set on picking up a Team Wendy Exfil from them as well.

But I've been looking at the accessories pages, and ay carumba I'm confused. Strictly LSHD noob when it comes to this stuff. I have been reading a lot but helmet configs aren't often discussed - at least not in terms a LSHD noob like me can comprehend.

What is the 'W' shroud? Do I need one? What else do I need to mount a PVS-14? I need to be able to swap it between the helmet and a weapon pretty easily.

I ordered the Weapon Kit with the PVS-14. Is that all I need in order to mount it to the AR-15? Do I need a QR mount as well? I know I want a lanyard. Do I have to order a particular brand for the TW Exfil helmet?

As you can tell, my head is full of 'Huh?' Thanks in advance for any guidance.

On a Team Wendy XFIL, the "W" shroud is the Wilcox Shroud and it comes intergral to the helmet to which you can mount your NVG mounting system. The "W" shroud is part of the EXFIL helmet and you do not have to purchase one yourself to install on the helmet.

You will need a mount to attach the PVS-14 to the "W" shroud on the EXFIL, there are many you can choose from made by Wilcox and Nortoros.

In my case, this EXFIL helmet has a Nortoros INVG mount to attach the PVS-14 to the "W" shroud on the helmet:

TNVC%20MultiCam.jpg

In order to mount your PVS-14 to your rail on your rifle behind your day NV compatible optic, you will need a mount to attach the PVS-14 to the rail, similar to what I use:

PVS%2014%20Right.jpg

Here it is with the USGI 3X Magnifier attached:

3X%20Mag.jpg

There are a variety of different mounts depending on what you specifically plan on accomplishing....

I still like and use the old half head impact, although we now also use the CGF Gallet half head the most.

Me being new to this also, dumb question of the day. What do those built in bungee cords do on the helmet?

Let's say I'm out walking around at night with the PVS-14 mounted on the helmet. Can I quickly unmount it and put it on the rail behind the Aimpoint?

In other words, does the same mount that is screwed into the PVS-14 'clip on' to the mount arm and to the rail? Or is there more work involved in moving it back and forth?

Let's say I'm out walking around at night with the PVS-14 mounted on the helmet. Can I quickly unmount it and put it on the rail behind the Aimpoint?

In other words, does the same mount that is screwed into the PVS-14 'clip on' to the mount arm and to the rail? Or is there more work involved in moving it back and forth?

You bet, and this is EXACTLY why the TM-14 was designed. This is the quickest 5 seconds or less mount to transition from helmet to weapon. We also killed 3 birds with one stone to work with the Aimpoint twist base by using a PVS-14, Aimpoint 3x magnifier and EO Tech Magnifier. TNVC TM14 PVS-14 Weapon Mount ? Tactical Night Vision Company

TM14_2_zpsc4731086.jpg

TMEO_ex_zps8ad21d77.jpg

Vic

Don't be cheap. You will be pissed. Buy a quality helmet and don't look back. All recommendations above are great choices

I agree with this ^^^ and sorry if this is a bit of a derail but as a yote/pig hunter I'm looking at this "Crye Precision Nightcap". Any first hand users, and yes this NV stuff is new to me. TIA.