• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What high end scope and reticule?

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I am tossing around the idea about spending the big bucks for a high end optic. I will spend right at 2000 bucks if i do this. What scope and reticule would an actual service men/ sniper most likely use? I dont know much about these types of scopes or reticules as i never thought i would spend the cash for one. It will go on top of a 6.5 creedmoor in an AICS chassis. I want to put together a rig that would actually be considered a tactical sniping rig. Hope this makes since. Lee

Re: What high end scope and reticule?

Soon I will build a Rem. 700 in an AI stock and planned on trying the IOR fixed 10 x 56. It comes w/ long range TMR. I've heard a lot of good things about their product. Cost effective!

I don't know you, and I don't want to talk down to you, but if you don't know what your preferences are, maybe you should get something cheaper and spend more time shooting until you know what works for you.

Me personally, I like .1 mil clicks and a mil based reticle with half mil marks and at least 10 mils on the bottom for holdovers. As for makes, I really like USO (as long as it's got the EREK), and Premier. When using MOA, 1/2 MOA clicks are my personal preference for just about everything.

We dont have the type of matches around here to learn to shoot tactical. I shoot benchrest with fixed 36 power scopes, target dot. We have a 500 yard range that i plan on spending a lot of time on when the rifle is done. I tried the cheap route with a pre production falcon 5.5x25 and i thought it sucked!! The parallax setting were not good and eye relief was about 2". and the optics were not real clear past 18 power. Just didnt care for that scope!!! I spend a fair amount on rifles and i need to spend a fair amount on a good long range scope system so i cam learn to read distances. Lee

since i am used to using MOA measurements would a MOA reticle be a better bet for me, or should i learn something else? lee

There is only one scope that fits that bill, and that is at street pricing!

Turk's next post will recommend Nightforce, and I'd be inclined to agree.

As for MOA, I started with MOA too, just because the Army issued me an M3A. I was just as happy to take on mil/mil though. It's a way more practical system. I could range the fastest and most naturally with IPHY though. If you do want to stick with MOA, it's really going to narrow your choices down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since i am used to using MOA measurements would a MOA reticle be a better bet for me, or should i learn something else? lee </div></div>

USO's moa stuff is very nice, and an MOA reticle with MOA adjustments is just as sensible as anything mil/mil, plus I think the ranging is easier and faster (target size in inches/moa read on reticle=range in ydsx100). USO's MOA scopes are all but a couple actually 1" per hundred yard setups, so you;d have to convert true MOA dope for the 5% difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turk's next post will recommend Nightforce, and I'd be inclined to agree.

As for MOA, I started with MOA too, just because the Army issued me an M3A. I was just as happy to take on mil/mil though. It's a way more practical system. I could range the fastest and most naturally with IPHY though. If you do want to stick with MOA, it's really going to narrow your choices down. </div></div>
Actually if you decide to go FFP; that would eliminate the NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Actually if you decide to go FFP; that would eliminate the NF.</div></div>

Not really as there is always the F1. It's what I use on my 6.5 Creedmoor match rifle. Price is a little higher at $2290 but it also comes with an illuminated reticle, zero stop, mil/mil, set of rings and sunshade for that price. They should be having an MOA version out soon also.

Then he has to buy rings. Good luck getting any similar set up FFP at $2k or less. Bare bones USO is with ergo objective is $1920.

Skeets,
You mentioned range shooting to 500yds for this rifle. If this is the limit that you will be shooting, then a $2K+ FFP optic is not necesary for that job. A SFP NXS (5.5-22x)would be more than enough to get it done...
But if you really just want to complete your "tactical sniping rig" (your words), then by all means go right ahead and drop the dimes for an optic with all the bells & whistles...

All,

The only thing that is clear here is that a casual recreational shooter, who is fascinated with the hobby, wants to advance the distraction. It does not matter what scope is purchased, as any will provide entertainment.

Its easy to negotiate a 2nd FF Nightforce, check out the 3.5x15 $1550 from Euro Optics. Bad ass scopes. FFP is for folks that can not easily multiply by 2 or 3
wink.gif

Spend the rest on rings and beer.

sterling shooter is somewhat right. I dont have to shoot a rifle to feed my family or to defend myself. I really enjoy rifle shooting as a hole. I shoot every chance i get usually twice a week. I am also a bored married guy with a decent income (Not great but decent). Rifles are my thing. Some guys ride Harley, some guys fish, I like to shoot my rifles. I tried the falcon and i didnt care for it. I have a couple leupold target scopes and the glass is ok.
I want to learn how to us a scopeand read how far a particular object is with out a laser range finder. I want to learn how to properly use mil-dots or similar reticule. I have always spent plenty of money on my rifles and i usually dont give the optics enough though. I have been doing this long enough now to know a good scope is all part of the tool. I just dont want to make a bad choice on this one. I dont mean, or want to offend anyone with my questions. Im a simple person that happens to really enjoy this past time. I also enjoy you folks, and i enjoy reading what most of you fellas have to say. This is a great site and i really appreciate the folks that make it what it is. I only hope that i dont take advantage of it, as this wouldnt be my intent!! Thanks lee

Well, I was going to link to a couple of scopes in the for sale section, but I guess they're all gone. If your patient it shouldn't be too long before a mil/mil or moa/moa Nightforce/USO/Premier comes up for sale in the $2000ish price range though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's one of the best:

http://www.schmidtbender.com/marines.htm</div></div>

+1 on that - I have the 3-12x50 PMII and I'd have no hesitation in recommending Schmidt und Bender from personal experience - if only because I've never really got used to turning elevation anticlockwise to go up
wink.gif

If this is not an issue for you I'd suggest that you look at USO, Premier and Nightforce.

You should find something to hit the mark out of these four.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sterling shooter is somewhat right. I dont have to shoot a rifle to feed my family or to defend myself. I really enjoy rifle shooting as a hole. I shoot every chance i get usually twice a week. I am also a bored married guy with a decent income (Not great but decent). Rifles are my thing. Some guys ride Harley, some guys fish, I like to shoot my rifles. I tried the falcon and i didnt care for it. I have a couple leupold target scopes and the glass is ok.
I want to learn how to us a scopeand read how far a particular object is with out a laser range finder. I want to learn how to properly use mil-dots or similar reticule. I have always spent plenty of money on my rifles and i usually dont give the optics enough though. I have been doing this long enough now to know a good scope is all part of the tool. I just dont want to make a bad choice on this one. I dont mean, or want to offend anyone with my questions. Im a simple person that happens to really enjoy this past time. I also enjoy you folks, and i enjoy reading what most of you fellas have to say. This is a great site and i really appreciate the folks that make it what it is. I only hope that i dont take advantage of it, as this wouldnt be my intent!! Thanks lee</div></div>

Consider a scope which will do more than help you see better. A range-finding/BDC design will, when you come to terms with it, help you to get good hits out to as far as your bullets are still flying nose-on. I like range-finding reticles like the NP-R2 available on most NF scopes. This reticle subtends in MOA which, for me, is easy to convert into inches for favoring at distance. Also, you can create a BDC function by marking your elevation turret as appropriate for your bullet's trajectory. In other words, with something like a NF NXS 5.5-22X50 with NP-R2 reticle and MOA graduations, you can explore most concepts essential to good shooting, like BDC, MOA, and BSZ.

Thanks fellas i appreciate the help. I just wish i could make a decision!!! LOL!!!!! Lee

I have used Leupold for years and most of the company rifles wear one. I have never had a failure. I have recently recived a Nightforce and am very impressed.

I have seen, used, and broken several scopes that cost alot more. African corrigated roads kill more scopes than recoil. Also, many expensive scopes shift POI if you hard for a long time - like driving down the said African road with the rifle in the rack on the back of the truck.

Good rings are nearly as vital as a good scope...

skeetlee, I personally think the Nightforce 5.5x22x50 or 56 (depending on how high you want the scope to sit) is the best value. I do only have limited experience (I own 3 soon to be 4 Nightforce scopes and 1 US optics). I'm a moa guy, so I love the NP-R1 reticle w/ moa turrets. I know this is against the general tactical consensus, but I prefer second focal plane scopes with very fine reticles. I do all my ranging with a laser instead of my reticle and do not like thick FFP reticles @ high power. Plus this scope has lots of elevation (100 moa I believe).

Paw through the USO web site and see what you like. If something tickles your fancy give me a shout and I'll see how close to $2K I can get you. You might be surprised
wink.gif

Cheers,

Doc