• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors What hogs and other animals hear from suppressed rifles. Video

TEXASLAWMAN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
Did a little test to show you all what hogs and other animals hear from suppressed rifles, I did hits and misses. This shows you even with the quietest subsonic caliber a hit is loud enough to send the other hogs running. Even though suppressors are not movie quiet and you can not take out an entire sounder without them knowing they are still very advantageous to the hunter. Suppressors will save your hearing and it is much more enjoyable to hunt with others using them. Hogs will not know which way the shots are coming from and will run from the bullet impacts giving you more shots, I am able to steer the sounder into the open many times. Here is the video enjoy hope it helps someone understand suppressors better.

Good work.....interesting........ I like it........ please get some left handed rifles...... using right hand for a lefty is dangerous......
bill larson

Good work.....interesting........ I like it........ please get some left handed rifles...... using right hand for a lefty is dangerous......
bill larson

The .45 acp is the only lefty. The tactical brass catchers help with everything flying out the port.

No animals were harmed during the making of this video. Makes you think twice before wanting to be reincarnated as a hog. Awesome vid

Great, informitive. The sub .45 hp's appear to have more thump then the 300bo, would you agree?

Yes the BO was shooting 220gr roundnose bullets. Unless you cast your own soft hollow points, or buy expensive subsonic expanding bullets your just poking a 30 cal hole with the 300 at subsonic speeds. With the .45 acp worst case scenario is a 45 caliber hole but the good hollow points xtp, rangers, gold dots are made to expand at subsonic speeds in .45acp so they transfer more energy and do more tearing of tissue. Basically with subsonic all bullets are limited to the same speed so the only advantages are caliber size and mass.

Very informative video.
Great choice of target.

Between the Blackout and 45ACP, which do you prefer for hogs?

Last edited:
Very informative video.
Great choice of target.

Between the Blackout and 45ACP, which do you prefer for hogs?

If both are subsonic I'm going to lean to the .45. Supersonic the blackout easily. My limited testing with the subsonic blackout supersonic was disappointing unless you used the high dollar subsonic expanding bullets. Like in the post above the .45 bullets are already designed to expand subsonic. But for hunting I prefer supersonic 6.8 or .308, subsonic is just a novelty for me.

If both are subsonic I'm going to lean to the .45. Supersonic the blackout easily. My limited testing with the subsonic blackout supersonic was disappointing unless you used the high dollar subsonic expanding bullets. Like in the post above the .45 bullets are already designed to expand subsonic. But for hunting I prefer supersonic 6.8 or .308, subsonic is just a novelty for me.

Have you shot many hogs with supersonic 300 BO?

I'm doing a Hog hunt in the fall and will be using 110 TSX (black tip) though my 9" SBR. The hogs we'll be hunting most likely won't be over 300 pounds and within 100 yds, so I'm not worried about being under gunned.

Have you shot many hogs with supersonic 300 BO?

I'm doing a Hog hunt in the fall and will be using 110 TSX (black tip) though my 9" SBR. The hogs we'll be hunting most likely won't be over 300 pounds and within 100 yds, so I'm not worried about being under gunned.

No not any I like my 6.8 too much. But I've hunted with people using the black tips and sbr blackouts most of these kills were blackouts and the black tips.

bill larson

Care to elaborate? The only left handed rifles I own are bolt action. Never once been injured or felt I was in danger shooting semi autos left handed.