• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

what hunting bullet for long range?

BMerino

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Utah
Gents, was wondering what kind of hunting round the 175SMK is? If it's a poor performer what do you suggest as a replacement? I would like a good long range hunting round and have heard a lot of good about the 175smk but wasn't sure about terminal ballistics. Thanks in advance.

Re: what hunting bullet for long range?

178 A-MAX I have NEVER not had preformance from them on soft targets.

the SMK will just poke a hole. While they will shut em down with a well place shot. You will loose one in time for sure. Thats not what its about.

Anyone else can chime in I have never used VLD's but I hear good things on them.

bandit19

I have used 168grMKs on a lot of different game at some really long distances and at some not so long. I have never had one lick of a problem. I have shot them all thru a 300Wby. If I were to choose a single bullet to hunt with today it would be a Barnes TSX. I have shot these bullets in 7mm,30, and 375. I think they are the place to start, they are very accurate. This is just my experience. IME.

How long a range are you trying to shoot game? Seriously if you are hunting where deer typically walk out at 800 yards move your stand. If you are looking for something for cross canyon shots on deer or elk that's good, but use a round designed to do the job, and a rifle that will get it there.

I don't use match bullets on game, they're not designed to expand. I've been told that 165g SGKs shoot the same dope as 168 SMKs, I haven't proved it to myself yet, but I'll be working up a load for them shortly, but first I'm working up one for 150 Sierra Pro Hunters for shooting white tails.

The 175SMK will put down game provided you hit the right target area.

For long range use the Berger hunting VLD's give shooters high BC projectiles with performance advertised as that of a hunting bullet.

I have used the VLD's myself and have found the following:

- Good bullets
- Require some load development research for long range use
- sometimes they are picky when it comes to seating depth
- Typically more expensive than other brands of projectiles

End of the day should you be looking into extreme long range shooting you must invest time and effort into a round that is as accurate as can be over long distances... for me anyway, I would spend my time looking into Berger bullets.

Shot placement is key.

Thanks for the replies. I hunt elk and mulies in Utah so the cross canyon shot is very likely and created the interest for me. I have shot the 168 A-max out to 600 in schools and shooting I've done on my own. I shot the 168 VLD's this year out to the same but nothing beyond. I know much more distance starts leading to unethical shots but like the gee wiz in knowing it can perform further. I have tried to find 175 VLDs with no success locally. I'll keep looking and give the 175 A-max a shot also.

Search is your friend. This topic has been beat to death for years on a bi-monthly basis.

Good luck

Jerry

I am giving the 7mm beger 168 VLD a try this year......deer hunting at 380yds and up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">155 Lapua's this year out of the 308. Will post results. </div></div>

Niles, please let me know how the Scenars work out for you on game. They shoot the best in my 6.5, but I'm a little scared to hunt with them. I would love to hear some firsthand experience. Thanks