• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Is a good rifle for competition?

Daniel23

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2022
New Jersey
Im looking for a good competition rifle that can shoot up to 500 yards with factory ammo, sub MOA. I have a Savage model 110 FCP in 308 and it shoots great! But i have a 6mm BR that doesn't shoot that good and its hard to find ammo for that rifle. I was looking to get something chambered in 6.5 creed. What are your thoughts? And what rifles do you recommend that are under $1000? I Was looking into the bergara b14 hmr, but still undecided.

Im looking for a good competition rifle that can shoot up to 500 yards with factory ammo, sub MOA. I have a Savage model 110 FCP in 308 and it shoots great! But i have a 6mm BR that doesn't shoot that good and its hard to find ammo for that rifle. I was looking to get something chambered in 6.5 creed. What are your thoughts? And what rifles do you recommend that are under $1000? I Was looking into the bergara b14 hmr, but still undecided.
if competition is your goal:
1. 2k for a rifle is minimum minimorum
2. you have to reload
3. buy best optics you can afford.

The 308 should do what you are trying to do but if you don't want to run 308 rebarrel your 308 to a 6.5 Creedmoor. Or if you want to retain the 308 have the 6br rebarreled to a 6.5C.

Reactions: NewsShooter
300 yard prone? Service rifle? 22? NRL? Benchrest? Super Sniper Tactical Challenge?
Its 300 prone. There are different stages. Stage 1 is the cold bore shot in a 3 inch circle. Stage 2 is shooting at shapes that you are suppose to shoot at and not hit other shapes. Next stage is shooting at a cardboard person with a rectangle in the middle about 4 inches wide and u have to keep it in the cardboard, more points if u get it in the rectangle and the last stage is 5 circles from 10inches down to 4 inches. If you aim for the 4 inches you get the most points and u get less points if u move to others. And everything is timed.

Skip getting new gear and shoot your current .308 at as many comps as you can attend.

Spend your funds on ammo, practice, gas, and entry fees.

Unless you're consistently in the top AND getting stuff off the prize table that makes it worthwhile, just enjoy shooting/competing.

Your skillset will transfer if you decide in the future to invest more in a new rifle.

Reactions: Papa Mike
So you need a mag fed rifle capable of 1 moa or better. I shot 10 groups today at a match that the largest was .9 MOA with a box stock FN SPR. My Remington 700 VS would have done equally as well, also stock. So it does sound like your current rifles  should work. Maybe invest in upgrades.
What is your 6br? I've never seen a inaccurate one, but I guess people wouldn't bring those to matches. Maybe it's time for a Rockchucker press, some dies and to start reloading?

300 yard comp?

Why not just get a good 223 if you feel like your 308 won’t do the job. Sounds like a local comp or possibly some type of LE comp. Just basing that off your targets

Reactions: BurtG and Islas82
Sounds like matches at Cherry Ridge. I would just shoot your .308 but if you wanted a 6.5 the Bergara would be good. Even one of the savages would be in that price range too.

Reactions: Daniel23 and JakeM
I know , I know , one you can shoot really well .

"hi guys. I wanna have the goodest rifle setup, but its gotta be best winningest possible, only shoot factory ammo, and more accurates. What value for money?".

Is this the bear pit ? I wanna say go be poor somewhere else, but ill refrain.

Honest answer: as a few people pointed out, reloading will be the best option here. It will take time to get a really good load, so watch some videos on it, or speak to people at your club who do currently reload. Maybe attend a class or similar. I hope you kept your factory brass and packets, that would help.

Scope, get a really good quality scope. $500 is not a quality scope. Find your budget, then double it. Also, quality rings, that is important.

• Haha
Reactions: moosemeat
Take classes.

Buy a quality used rifle you can build on.

Buy Quality used glass you sell and regain some money after saving for your dream glass.

Have fun.

Reload for the 6mm, swap the barrel for a 6.5 on the .308 if you want a 6.5. Practice with what you have now. Look for a chassis if you don't already have one. Otherwise you're good already, a new rifle probably won't make much difference.