• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is better for Mile, Barrett K-1 or K2 ?

89t295k

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Idaho
I like the idea of getting a Barrett(yeah it's the name and reputation/safty). Even though I have heard good things about AR-50 s too. The old K-1 32" seems like it is the obvious choice but, might the newer K-2 29" be more accurate with a shorter barrel and newer style brake?

Like to take it out to the next mile shoot.

Re: What is better for Mile, Barrett K-1 or K2 ?

I have a K2. With the 750 Amax I have no problem reaching out to 1560(IIRC). Recoil is minimal, and its dead nuts accurate. I like switching around gun quite a bit but that rifle will be with me as long as I'm alive. I am also a Barrett dealer, so if you are interested in picking one up let me know.

reputation for safety compared to what?

Not to piss in your wheaties but go with the AR50 or a McMillan. Barret=POS. You couldn't give me one if you paid me, Id spear chuck that POS into a river.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MN sharpshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to piss in your wheaties but go with the AR50 or a McMillan. Barret=POS. You couldn't give me one if you paid me, Id spear chuck that POS into a river. </div></div>

+1 seriously overrated rifles thanks to television, the internet and video games.

Wow, Barrett bashing...who would have thought. What do you not like about them?
Just thinking about all the locking lugs and it passing mil specs while the others may or may not.

This is one rifle I will not be buying with out a good reputation. It really becomes a matter of trust when talking customs. Not sure I want to go there since I also want to shoot tracers and ap too..

Honestly, Like to get a Ar-50 and a Barrett 99 since I want them, will use them and feel it is a good time to have them. I Love hearing the gong at 1800+ Yards.

Now, any word on accuracy K1 vs K2
Shorter barrels tend to be more accurate while longer barrels deliver more speed that turns into better wind deflection(call it what u will).
I am leaning towards the K1 for the better speed and more weight(less kick).
Thxs.

why shoot a .50bmg to a mile?

I've seen the following get to a mile:
6.5x47 Lapua
.308 Win
7mmRemMag
7WSM
7RUM
.300WinMag
.300WSM
.338EDGE
.338Lapua
.408Cheytac

Because, it has better windage, more energy, goes further, and most importantly....because, I can.

I have done the small bullets at over a mile and it's a blast...I'll be doing more with my 7Rum for sure but, it not the same.
The 50 has a huge edge over all those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because, it has better windage, more energy, goes further, and most importantly....because, I can.

I have done the small bullets at over a mile and it's a blast...I'll be doing more with my 7Rum for sure but, it not the same.
The 50 has a huge edge over all those.</div></div>

Don't get me wrong,the 50bmg is a great round but....
Really...What could a 50bmg possibly have over a .408 Cheyt or a 375 Cheyt. when it comes to LR shooting other than maybe giving up a little energy?
And maybe not even that considering the fps your giving up with the BMG over the 2 rounds listed above at that range.
Only thing i can think of at this time is COST.

Well, this is my thinking.
I looked up the .408
it lists at 2900fps and 0.94BC
The factory Amax is 2815fps and 1.05BC

Now at 2500Y and 10mph wind(Per JBM) the 408 has 10.7moa drift while the BMG has 9.5moa. That makes the Bmg 1.2 moa more accurate.
So even if you have a .5 moa 408 and a 1.5moa Bmg...the BMG has the edge by .2moa
In theory, the 408 will out perform the BMG on calm days but, I assume it also costs more for the stick and also wears out faster. Last time I was at a mile shoot it was so windy almost no one was hitting except the M99 guy. Lots of 338 Edges, no 408/375's present.
Now, I don't have any of these to play with yet so it is all based on internet info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now at 2500Y and 10mph wind(Per JBM) the 408 has 10.7moa drift while the BMG has 9.5moa. That makes the Bmg 1.2 moa more accurate.

</div></div>

You don't understand accuracy. Accuracy is the ability to produce the same result within consistent conditions(not per the dictionary just off the top of my head...) So in shooting it would be within given atmospheric conditions your rifle will hold X moa. What your talking about is a specific rifles ability to buck the wind which has nothing to do with accuracy.
Basically your saying that it will buck the wind better so you don't have to be as good at calling wind in order to make a hit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So even if you have a .5 moa 408 and a 1.5moa Bmg...the BMG has the edge by .2moa

</div></div>
I'm not fallowing your math, it doesn't make any sort of sense.
Also you will not find a 1.5 MOA M82 or M107, Maybe 2moa if your lucky but more often then not 3- 3.5MOA so now your talking about a 75" or better group at 2500y verses say a 20" with a rifle thats not a POS. Your still going to be off target by at least 50" or 2MOA.

But lets suppose your right, lets suppose the Barret holds 1.5moa. and your 408 Holds .5 Your assumption its a wind value of say 10 miles per hour is right, however your shooting at a human sized target. The Barret will more likely than not miss. Since your Accuracy of that barret is larger than your targets width. 1.5 MOA is Approximately 39" at 2500Y So you have approximately a 50% chance of hitting your target 18-20" wide if your wind call is PERFECT.

Now lets be realistic and since your talking something more like a 3MOA gun you only have say a 78" group at 2500y. The area of your target is approximately 800" and the entire area of your group is approximately a little more than 4400" so you have less than an 18% probability of making a hit. Also this is assuming you got everything PERFECT.

NEVER BUY A BARRET just my 2 cents though, waist your money if you will.

Barrett impacts at a mile and beyond.

This is in no way meant to be a statement that Barrett is better than the other rifles that have been mentioned, but it can effective at the distances discussed.

First attempt at a mile...First round impact, elevation was perfect impacted just right of the red bull.
DSCN0319.jpg

This shot was with BORS, shot taken from 1760 yards, dialed 1800 yards on BORS, 8 moa of wind dialed for.

View from the shooting position.
DSCN0315.jpg

Another outing with the Barrett model 99's
DSCN0625-1.jpg

DSCN0622-1.jpg

shooting position
DSCN0611.jpg

DSCN0618-1.jpg

Barrett model 99 29" fluted barrel in the pic. it has the BORS with Leupold 8.5x25x50, I ended up ditching the BORS and the Leupy and it is currently sporting a NF 8x32x56 with the 40 moa Barrett rings.
DSCN0216.jpg

It also has one confirmed kill!
smile.gif

Mule deer 650 yards, hit him in the throat, just about decapitated bambi!!!
shotbambiwiththe50-2.jpg

shotbambiwiththe50-1.jpg

barretfirstkill-1.jpg

I love my Barrett!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSCN0319.jpg

</div></div>

I think you are making MN sharpshooter's point, one would hope to see at least five or so impacts on a steel that size.

Target broke on impact. Had a bunjee chord holding taget upright...needless to say on impact bunjee failed!

Nothing in those photos convinces me otherwise. The Model 99 may do better than the M107 but you could still not pay me enough to own one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only took one. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
First attempt at a mile...<span style="color: #FF0000">First round impact</span>, elevation was perfect impacted just right of the red bull.</div></div>

Does that mean you hit the target on the first shot? or the first hit out of several shots?

And how come you only shot it once? (I ask because usually when a guy hits something, he wants to hit it again)

It was my first shot at the mile distance. We had shot some that day at 1000 yards. I had built the 3'x3' target out of two 18"x36" pieces of AR500 plate welded to pieces of pipe for a "hinge point", but what I had failed to realize is that with the upper portion being equal weight to the bottom piece when the hinge point (a piece of bar) was placed through the pipe, the target laid flat so that you could not see it down range, so the only thing we had with us to remedy this was a bungee chord. I placed the bungee chord across the back of the target to hold it upright. We then went down range and on my first shot I DRILLED IT!!! I am willing to concede there was a fair amount of luck involved in the shot as I had just taken a SWAG at the wind call, my buddy that was shooting with me had said he was going to dial 10 moa after a look at the kestrel and what the wind was doing at our position, I told him I was going to dial 8 and "see where we were at" He was spotting for me through his NF on HIS Barrett and after the shot I lost my sight picture, I looked over to him and he said "Hey asshole, you just broke the target!" We had an elk target down there as well and he connected on it after a few rounds and we went down range to check for impacts.

(all that being said, I am by no means saying that happens on a regular basis, we have done much more ELR shooting since then and I have placed my share of 750 grain AMAX in the dirt!
smile.gif
This however was my FIRST attempt at a mile and I hit it FIRST ROUND with a witness! Better than a hole in one on the golf course any day!)

On a side note on the first round impact at a mile, there was an unsuspecting horned toad catching some shade beneath our target the splash from the bullet fragged the poor little guy...I joked with my buddy that I was going for the bank shot on the toad from a mile...
smile.gif

I know that I am probably going to get some flack from people calling bullshit on this, but I did have a fellow hide member with me as a witness...He had some expletives for me followed by lucky fucker etc. etc etc. and I can't even deny it that there was a fair amount of luck in it, but I heard a quote from another fellow hide member who said "the more we train the luckier we get" I like to think that I was in the ballpark because I had done my part and the "got lucky" part helped me the rest of the way to the hit!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only took one. </div></div>

First attempt at a mile...<span style="color: #FF0000">First round impact</span>, elevation was perfect impacted just right of the red bull.</div></div>

Does that mean you hit the target on the first shot? or the first hit out of several shots?

And how come you only shot it once? (I ask because usually when a guy hits something, he wants to hit it again) </div></div>

Yes it was a first round hit at one mile and you're(hog) still and A-hole for breaking the target before i had a chance to shoot
grin.gif
. Due to a flaw in the balance of the target a bungee cord was used to keep the target from laying down flat. After the cord was severed by frags that target was inoperable for the rest of the day.

As a barrett99 owner ill say its a fun rifle but not the most accurate choice. I have a 7 Saum that shoots circles around my 99 but some times its just fun to shoot the 50 and clear out the sinuses. My best ever 1 mile record was only 3 of 5 hits on a 25x 18 silhouette with the 99. At one mile id say its a 1.5moa rifle with an optimum hand load, factory Amax stuff 2moa+

Im looking at the 375 chey/snipetacs, 416 or the 375/416 options for a future long range build.

hits.jpg

my 3 of 5 hits

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, this is my thinking.
I looked up the .408
it lists at 2900fps and 0.94BC
The factory Amax is 2815fps and 1.05BC

In theory, the 408 will out perform the BMG on calm days but, I assume it also costs more for the stick and also wears out faster. Last time I was at a mile shoot it was so windy almost no one was hitting except the M99 guy. Lots of 338 Edges, no 408/375's present.
Now, I don't have any of these to play with yet so it is all based on internet info.

</div></div>

Try running this into JBM...

.375 CheyTac
330gr LeHigh borerider at .941BC
3200+ fps muzzle velocity ( you can actually push that number higher than that if you wish )

I think you'll find that it shoots farther, flatter and inside a 750gr amax in the wind all day long.

The other thing that isn't discussed here is time of flight. The longer it takes for the bullet to get there, the more the environment can affect it's flight. ( this is a huge deal for long range accuracy and can't be overstated )

Even with your numbers and at almost maximum range ( giving your 750gr amax some advantage ), the 330gr bullet still gets there quicker and, if you go and compare the numbers at 2000yds, you'll see just how much the .375 will outperform a .50.

When I just plug the numbers in, at sea level and only by changing the bullet and velocity to compare them, the .375 is in the air 2.78 seconds to get to 2000yds... the amax is in the air 3.07secs. The .amax is at 66.1 elevation from a 100yd zero. The .375 is at 52.9. The wind drift on the .375 is 7.6moa in 10mph 3 o'clock wind and, the amax is at 7.9moa.

Even at 2500yds the .50 loses.

elevation 80.5
wind drift 10.6
time of flight 3.91

elevation 98.5
wind drift 10.8
time of flight 4.53

The .50 goes subsonic at 2600yds the .375 goes subsonic at 2700yds.

( I'm using your velocity of 2815 and, to me, that even sounds high but, I'll take your word for it )

Anyway, run the numbers in and have a peek for yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D. Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only took one. </div></div>

And how come you only shot it once? (I ask because usually when a guy hits something, he wants to hit it again) </div></div>

Yes it was a first round hit at one mile and you're(hog) still and A-hole for breaking the target before i had a chance to shoot
grin.gif
. Due to a flaw in the balance of the target a bungee cord was used to keep the target from laying down flat. After the cord was severed by frags that target was inoperable for the rest of the day.

As a barrett99 owner ill say its a fun rifle but not the most accurate choice. I have a 7 Saum that shoots circles around my 99 but some times its just fun to shoot the 50 and clear out the sinuses. My best ever 1 mile record was only 3 of 5 hits on a 25x 18 silhouette with the 99. At one mile id say its a 1.5moa rifle with an optimum hand load, factory Amax stuff 2moa+

Im looking at the 375 chey/snipetacs, 416 or the 375/416 options for a future long range build.

hits.jpg

my 3 of 5 hits

</div></div>

LMAO, I would like to take the full-time title of A-hole if it meant I could get a first round impact at that distance every time
smile.gif
Still a cool experience to have things come together like that atleast once....keeps me striving to try again!

I've saw it, it’s no bullshit. Since then Hog and D.Miller have connected at 1,760+ the farthest to date being 2,000 yards. We have made posts in this section with plenty of pictures. I will share some of them with you when I get home this evening.

No one is saying the Barrett is the go to .50 BMG. Hog, D.Miller and I have all started gravitating toward rounds like .375/416 built off custom actions but the Barrett M99 .50 BMG is still fun and capable of connecting at ULR ranges. Is it the best? No, no one here is saying that.

If ELR/ULR accuracy is what you are after I would look toward a custom built gun in .375/416, even .338 LM’s do a decent job. A friend’s Sako TRG .338 LM did great at mile! He had the highest hit probability of the day. If you want to use the .50 BMG round which is understandable I would take a hard look at the AR-50, McMillan TAC-50 or have someone build you a .50!

Don't get me wrong, a custom 375, 408 would b sweet, I have a feeling the extra 300+fps was derived from this. I don't think it is fair to compare the two unless you start making the bmg custom with handloads too. I'm going off Hornady's Factory round Listed @ 2815 out of 24" Barrel. I'm sure the bmg reloaders get nice groups and have some crazy high BC bullets too.

At my 3000ft location with my scope @3.2" 200Y Zero and 2500Y.
89moa
9.5 Drift 10mph
1.15mach
Transonic 2850

Apples to apples the BMG has about 10% less wind drift is all I am saying. Everybody loves to defend their reasoning. I'm sure I'll own a Cheytac someday but, a TRG has to come after this one.

After some research I went with a AR-50 (30").
It arrived yesterday....yippy. VERY intimidating and Heavy.
Makes everything else look like a peashooter lol

I'm curious how the A-maxes will shoot both in velocity and accuracy since this is also 6 inches longer than Hornady's listed test figures.

BTW COLDBORE....I LoVE that truck. I hope It was not parked there when shooting.

The general is mine!!! Was that is, JF and I survived the last ride of the general on the way back from a day of shooting in the Las Vegas desert! Something locked up in the steering and we "rode it out"

0605100631.jpg

0605100652.jpg

DSCN0303.jpg

Here is after the carnage!!!
2011-03-19_15-44-03_746.jpg

2011-03-19_15-44-41_502.jpg

We both walked away from it, JF broke his collar bone and I tore my rotator, but we fortunate to walk away at all!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89t295k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't get me wrong, a custom 375, 408 would b sweet, I have a feeling the extra 300+fps was derived from this. I don't think it is fair to compare the two unless you start making the bmg custom with handloads too. I'm going off Hornady's Factory round Listed @ 2815 out of 24" Barrel. I'm sure the bmg reloaders get nice groups and have some crazy high BC bullets too.

At my 3000ft location with my scope @3.2" 200Y Zero and 2500Y.
89moa
9.5 Drift 10mph
1.15mach
Transonic 2850

Apples to apples the BMG has about 10% less wind drift is all I am saying. Everybody loves to defend their reasoning. I'm sure I'll own a Cheytac someday but, a TRG has to come after this one.

After some research I went with a AR-50 (30").
It arrived yesterday....yippy. VERY intimidating and Heavy.
Makes everything else look like a peashooter lol

I'm curious how the A-maxes will shoot both in velocity and accuracy since this is also 6 inches longer than Hornady's listed test figures.

</div></div>

Congratulations on the new stick!

I just got a .375 and, that's why the numbers are still in my head.... I was fighting with the idea of a .50 but decided on the .375. There's some really wild work being done with the .375.. Lutz Moeller has some 3" long projectiles that have a BC of 1.53 that can be launched at 2850fps but, you have to have a 1:8 spin barrel to launch them. LOL They're supposed to stay supersonic out past 3000m. ( I'd love to see what our boys could do with that in Afghanistan )LOL

375-Viking.jpg

There are no flies on the .50... there's no doubt about that, Sir. You'll probably shoot it cheaper than I can feed the .375 too. The projectiles on the .375 can get expensive. They start at about 1.30ea and can go up to over 2.00ea... powder is almost 140gr/bang and that adds another .50/bang and the brass goes for about 2.00ea. I haven't found any of the illusive 350gr SMKs since they were a special run for Sierra.... They're supposed to be about 1.00ea but, I can't find any.

You'll spend a lot more on primers and powder ( if you can find pull down powder, you can probably find that cheap, however ) but, I'll spend more on brass and bullets. You'll also have a lot larger selection of specialty bullets. With the .375, it's best to stay with the copper solids but, there are a few that aren't... either way, they're expensive.

I'd check my numbers on the .408 also... that round was designed to outperform the .50.. the 375 is an improvement over that round. It doesn't carry the energy the .50 does but, for accuracy at range, they're hard to beat.

Regardless of any of this.. your purchase will put you into the mile and a half club and, that is a very small club, Sir!

That sucks about your truck...glad u walked away. I think about a crazy stuff like that happening when I'm driving the corners up in the mountains. Slid a couple hundred feet off a Mountain once and have never forgot it.

I can't wait to see the numbers and potential of the 50.
Hornadys numbers seem too high but, they use some cutting edge double base propellants that have impressed me in other calibers.

That is one crazy bullet...

Tried it out today.
Very easy to shoot....less than half the recoil I was expecting. Tried some xm33 660G to sight it in and it did 1.3moa @ 2640
I then tried the Hornady AMAX and it did the same 1.3moa @ 100Y and 2.7 @200Y with 2690-2722fps.
I did not hold for the 3-8mph winds, verticals were all 0.8-1.0

I understand if I sort the XM33 it can do better and I was impressed on how at less than half the cost it shot 95% as well. The disappointment was the expensive hornady a-maxes that were short of advertised velocity. Wonder if being 35 degrees has something to do with it?
I'm sure the A-Max will start to shine as the distance gets longer.

Starting at 1.3 Moa is not too bad..As I get to know it and tweak a few things(like the crappy prince bipod) it should tighten up.
The Super Sniper 16X held up well to...good buy.