• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What is everyone's preference on reticles?

Oath Keeper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Florida
Curious to know what everyone uses and prefers when it comes to reticles. I know everyone doesn't just us mil dot reticles. I'd like to know what yall use and why, if your willing to share the information.

Oath, it would help if you asked
For what type of shooting.

Benchrest vs tactical vs hunting vs cqb vs etc.. Whole list of requirements and uses.

For myself I use a
Tremor2 for long range tactical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there is fast and then there is slow fire shooting.

Quick fire shooting will not be well served to use a fine line as they are harder to quickly acquire the target.

The night shot is best used with an illuminated crosshair scope.

The red dot aim point type I would like in combat because I don't care if it is off center of target.

I guess that is why there are so many choices.

I use a MOA/MOA EBR-1 it is a viper pst ffp 6-24. I like it b/c it is not to cluttered. It has 10 moa above center cross and it has 30 moa below the center.

I like the H59 for long range "tactical" shooting because you zero, then don't mess with the turrets when shooting at all. It's very fast when transitioning from target to target, and it makes follow-up shots much easier to make if you get good trace or splash. There are other less "busy" reticles, but with the H59, there is no question where you're holding in the reticle. All those subtensions make a difference.

I found it is not a good hunting or low-light reticle because there are no thick sections of the reticle. Horus makes hunting-oriented reticles, as do other manufacturers, that would be much better for a twilight engagement with a target, animal, or bad guy.

I think it's mostly personal preference, and your best bet is to look at tons of different reticles - ideally in scopes, if not then on the internet - consider your style of shooting, and try out something to see if you like it.

I prefer MSR reticles above all others, but some of the Horus ones are bad if you don't have to pay for a premium for it on a used scope.

Another vote for the MSR. I had to convince myself to get it because I thought it was to cluttered. After using it I love it.

H59 for sure. As stated above, it all but eliminates turning turrets. Excellent for ranging targets.

Last edited:
My current favorite reticle. I just wish it had either a open center or finer crosshairs out to .25 or .5 mil.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409493453.299588.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like your buying one of everything lately!!!

Lr precision, what an expensive exercise!!!
Why not? I have been working hard for 50 years and believe you only live once. I at least want to hedge my bets and can afford to get what I feel is best! Sold a lot of nice things I got tired of - about $15 , 000 worth since the first of the year. I will be fully retired at the end of September and plan to shoot 4- 5 times a week, since I started reloading. I will be living off MY Social Security and some part time work. I have longevity in my family and hope to be around at least another 20 years or so. Good luck with your endeavors and hope you're as lucky as me when you're in your 60s!

I have/use several different scope/reticle combinations.

Which one you should get is a personal preference thing.

IMO, you can count on a good FFP scope with mil-dot reticle to get the job done.........

Beyond that, take your pick........but the key is to spend enough time shooting to get familiar with whatever scope/reticle you get.

For MOA, the basic USO Type 1 reticle is simple, works well.

For Mil-Dot, the NF "hollow dot" is helpful (the dot is not solid, so it doesn't cover up the target).

For other........I have a couple of older mil S&B ST 4-16 x 42's with the H25 (not as "busy" or "cluttered" as later Horus reticles) and it works well, even for movers.

Suggest making sure your adjustments for elev and windage are the same as reticle, i.e., mil/mil, or MOA/MOA (not mil/MOA).

Last edited:
I really like the G2 reticles I have in my Bushnell DMR and ERS. I use them for long range steel and hunting, so far so good.

B45EB44B-C4CB-4001-A904-69AC087265D5_zpsq8kybavx.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm currently running a G2 reticle in my Bushnell XRS and have been very satisfied with it. My last scope was a Leupold with a standard mil-dot and I like the G2 much better!

My current favorite is the MSR

schmidt-bender-msr-scope-reticle.jpg

Attachments

• schmidt-bender-msr-scope-reticle.jpg
    schmidt-bender-msr-scope-reticle.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 18
For tactical LRP I like the reference points on christmas tree styles to hold in space so long as they are well done and not too busy or too thick. I have really liked my Kahles 624i AMR... A lot! I am thinking I will like the Vortex EBR2C when the HD Gen II on order finally arrives. I have an H37 on a USO LR17 but found the lines too thick and it too busy overall. I thought this survey was interesting:
Best Rifle Scope ? What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Click in the link in the link to last years results for a good reference to reticles.

Last edited:
Wow! I am sold on the G2 now...
Quick elevation and windadge target acquisition without the C F.

For those who have either the MSR or G2 reticle, what is the verdict on using either while hunting? I know it's not the ideal purpose but if I go either route I'm just curious as to how it would work out...

For those who have either the MSR or G2 reticle, what is the verdict on using either while hunting? I know it's not the ideal purpose but if I go either route I'm just curious as to how it would work out...

It's been working fine for me. I've taken several shots in the last light also. The shot on the hog was right before dark at 250 yards, held out in front of him and waited for his snout to meet the crosshair.

E18E8395-FCC4-452F-BAB2-08B73DC9EDC4_zpssl5vuzih.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6EA3303F-62CE-4E7A-A322-AA48B2A86BB0_zpsycbu2vvc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
B1A91FE3-4A75-4CEA-93EB-27D9586CBF1C_zpstm3rsxkm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

415 yard coyote on the move into the wind

415-yote_zps8c80a8d3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Of course this isn't the best low light, deep in the woods hunting scope, it isn't meant to be and anyone who hunts a lot has a whole different rig for that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have you beat at 22 yrs old lol. Def going to have to pick one up as well. Who did you pre-order with sir?
Orkan at Primal Rights. They have always been great at supplying parts for my 2 DTAs and said I would be in the first batch of orders with the Gen II XR reticle, which should be out soon. $4250 isn't cheap, but the few reviews have been awesome and scope should last you a lifetime, if anyone is still using rifles and scopes 20 years from now! I suspect drones or some other hot technology by then! Good luck and be safe.

Curious to know what everyone uses and prefers when it comes to reticles. I know everyone doesn't just us mil dot reticles. I'd like to know what yall use and why, if your willing to share the information.

The best reticle is whatever is on a rifle that you actually shoot rather than talk about on the internet. A toilet paper tube with two pieces of fishing line on a rifle that does something other than provide cyber genital enlargement will provide more benefit than all the fanciest unused christmas trees could ever provide. The vast majority of suggestions set forth above are nothing more than a regurgitation of the latest internet bullshit from a bunch on bench-shooting know-nothings. Hell you have recomendation to buy the best scope ever....that has never been seen outside a trade show.

Try finding a friend who actually shoots...not some douchebag geriatric or juvenile computer wiz. You will find a helluva lot more plain old boring mildots than you may imagine.

I really like the G2 reticles I have in my Bushnell DMR and ERS. I use them for long range steel and hunting, so far so good.

B45EB44B-C4CB-4001-A904-69AC087265D5_zpsq8kybavx.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I really like the looks of that reticle!
Is that a thinner center I see?
I'm planning on upgrading my current scope and will give those a serious look.

I really like the G2 just like in the pic above. However my Bushy is in the shop for repair. The good news is that they turned it around in 1 day, so I'm guessing that they are sending me a new one. The bad news is, that it is a holiday, and nothing is going out today, and Woodys match is coming fast! Oh by the way, those pics are great, shows a little truth to the tale..........It would have been hard not to whack that other buck too!

Last edited:
Leupold ' s TS-32 reticle is great! I also like the Vortex ' s x - mas tree but in MOA.

I prefer a milhash reticle like my EBR-1 or the US Optics GAP above.

The best reticle is whatever is on a rifle that you actually shoot rather than talk about on the internet. A toilet paper tube with two pieces of fishing line on a rifle that does something other than provide cyber genital enlargement will provide more benefit than all the fanciest unused christmas trees could ever provide. The vast majority of suggestions set forth above are nothing more than a regurgitation of the latest internet bullshit from a bunch on bench-shooting know-nothings. Hell you have recomendation to buy the best scope ever....that has never been seen outside a trade show.

Try finding a friend who actually shoots...not some douchebag geriatric or juvenile computer wiz. You will find a helluva lot more plain old boring mildots than you may imagine.
Wow!

Last edited:

Says the douchebag...........

My current fav is the H2CMR. The Gen2XR and USO GAP reticles are pretty nice too. The ART reticle looks pretty slick but I haven't shot one.

Got the Springfield ART-4 and have had good luck back check adjustments and holding its true mark.
Shot a one hole three shot group at 100 yards last fall that had only a 1/16 upper right and lower left variance spread.

I have been getting along real well with H59 in the prairie dog towns this summer. Not sure if I have a favorite, but this might be it.

I used mine on top of a 20x47L/40's at 4100fps for PD's last spring, great fun! Got a couple head shots at 250Y with .2 mil wind hold and a bunch from 300 to 450Y all holding over and off for wind. My BOL who was a quick learner on the reticle and has never shot at a PD at those distances got the farthest bang plop that day.