• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What is everyone's preference on reticles?

Oath, it would help if you asked
For what type of shooting.

Benchrest vs tactical vs hunting vs cqb vs etc.. Whole list of requirements and uses.

For myself I use a
Tremor2 for long range tactical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only seen the Tremor2, I have never used it. Though those Beasts do look gorgeous, NightForce was a little out of my price range. I would love to put a Beast on my rifle though. If I do I will deff look into the Tremor2 more.

And to be more specific I meant long range, cqb is all preference. One person will prefer a cco, another a holographic, ect ect... I was only curious about long range preference.

I've only seen the Tremor2, I have never used it. Though those Beasts do look gorgeous, NightForce was a little out of my price range. I would love to put a Beast on my rifle though. If I do I will deff look into the Tremor2 more.

And to be more specific I meant long range, cqb is all preference. One person will prefer a cco, another a holographic, ect ect... I was only curious about long range preference.
I played with getting the TReMOR2 reticle for awhile over the H59. I ended up with the H59 because it was 500 cheaper. I love the H59 so far. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do know the TREMOR2 is good out to 600 meters. I wanted a bit more distance then that

I like the H59 for long range "tactical" shooting because you zero, then don't mess with the turrets when shooting at all. It's very fast when transitioning from target to target, and it makes follow-up shots much easier to make if you get good trace or splash. There are other less "busy" reticles, but with the H59, there is no question where you're holding in the reticle. All those subtensions make a difference.

I found it is not a good hunting or low-light reticle because there are no thick sections of the reticle. Horus makes hunting-oriented reticles, as do other manufacturers, that would be much better for a twilight engagement with a target, animal, or bad guy.

Why did you choose the H59 vs the H58? I myself use the H58, I personally thought the H59 was too busy. I thought the H58 was enough to make the adjustments nescisarry without unwanted wash in my view. But, thats my personal feeling.

I played with getting the TReMOR2 reticle for awhile over the H59. I ended up with the H59 because it was 500 cheaper. I love the H59 so far. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do know the TREMOR2 is good out to 600 meters. I wanted a bit more distance then that

You don't feel that you could've went much further than 600 with the Tremor2... Why is that?

You don't feel that you could've went much further than 600 with the Tremor2... Why is that?
No you can go much further than that. Just the speed dots loose accuracy out past 600, as stated by Horus. That's all. I think it's a win win with the 59 or TREMOR2

No you can go much further than that. Just the speed dots loose accuracy out past 600, as stated by Horus. That's all. I think it's a win win with the 59 or TREMOR2

I thought 10 mils on a reticle was 10 mils? How does it lose accuracy?

Why did you choose the H59 vs the H58? I myself use the H58, I personally thought the H59 was too busy. I thought the H58 was enough to make the adjustments nescisarry without unwanted wash in my view. But, thats my personal feeling.

My long range instructor is a big fan of the Horus reticles and is who introduced me to them in the first place. He recommended the Bushnell HDMR. It was priced right, and the H59 is the version that is available for it.

I've been using the HDMR with the H59 for about a year now, and I am not bothered by it at all. It has yet to cause me to miss trace when there was trace to see. I also took it hunting last season, and as I mention, I found it is not the best low light reticle of the Horus line because there is no illumination and the entire reticle is too thin.

I did use the extra MIL of horizontal subtension for picking a POA for shooting "urban prone," but that's a pretty unique application that I've only done in a class. Nice to have the option if the position is needed in a competition, though.

I thought 10 mils on a reticle was 10 mils? How does it lose accuracy?

The dots are formulas from Todd at Accuracy 1st. Speed shooting formulas. PM me and I can send over the slide show and info about it. That's why after certain mils on the TREMOR2 it goes to the H59 reticle

It was designed around the 175 SMK .308 at a velocity around 2600 I believe... not 100% sure you can use it for other calibers but you need to figure out the speed dots for your specific caliber

Last edited:
I normally just use a standard mildot reticle but am looking heavily at one of the Horus designs if I can ever get a long range gun put together.

US Optics Mil MPR. On all my rifles. On lots of my team mates' rifles.
Basted for weeks in fkin awesome sauce.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

What's hilarious, is that Hollywood fell for that reticle, hook, line, and sinker.

In the movie Olympus has Fallen, with Gerard Butler and Aaron Eckhart, the sniper watching the bad guys on the roof in infra green has that reticle on his scope.

I was like WTF is that?

I'm digging the simplicity of the swarovski BDC in the 1-6 but I like cqb scopes and none of my rifles run past 400m haha

I'll be brave here. I use a Plex... Zeiss plex or their 60 dot plex and 2FP. Any plex; never found a use for any ladder. I use a laser rangefinder or a map/gps and dial for deliberate. Rapid, speed shooting then its holdover with fixed points of aim, as I know my bullet path. Worse case can walk them in. I do a lot of poor light shooting within point blank. I'm just a KISS kind of guy.

This way I have one sight picture to get perfect. Helps too when huffing and puffing and you don't have ten minutes to get your heart rate down.

Last edited: