• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What is good 1x .308 brass to look for when loading for .308?

I would just start with brass from factory rounds that you shot through your rifle. That way they are fire formed to your chamber. Using factory brass is a good start until your are ready to buy the Lapua or alpha brass.

If you are buying once fired, look for LC Match brass. Winchester and Remington are not great but will work.

Depending on what you expect out of your reloads would be the determining factor for selection.
Any of the major brands would be good it just depends on how much time and effort you are willing to spend on prep and sorting.
Just starting with new Lapua brass is well worth the initial investment both in time saved sorting and prepping and overall longetivity and quality.

Plain Jane MG fired LC is good brass if you’re willing to properly prep it.

Do the flash holes on LC brass need deburred?

Is the actual case volume consistent?

If I can get the LC cheap, as in free, I might just go this route.

All part of the prep and sorting process as mentioned before.
There are other steps as well and by the time you buy the tools and equipment to do it all properly the Lapua brass starts to look all that much better.
I know because I have done it both ways, even used Nosler brass for a while in 308. It was great brass but overpriced in my opinion compared to Lapua.

My brother used Hornady match for a while and did very well with it, since he was running a barrel 6" shorter than what I was the extra capacity was usefull in getting the velocity he wanted. He also spent a hell of alot more time prepping and sorting than I did with Nosler or Lapua brass to get similar results.

All part of the prep and sorting process as mentioned before.
There are other steps as well and by the time you buy the tools and equipment to do it all properly the Lapua brass starts to look all that much better.
I know because I have done it both ways, even used Nosler brass for a while in 308. It was great brass but overpriced in my opinion compared to Lapua.

My brother used Hornady match for a while and did very well with it, since he was running a barrel 6" shorter than what I was the extra capacity was usefull in getting the velocity he wanted. He also spent a hell of alot more time prepping and sorting than I did with Nosler or Lapua brass to get similar results.

My plan was to load 185 juggernauts. Do you think I should find brass with higher case volume?

My plan was to load 185 juggernauts. Do you think I should find brass with higher case volume?

If you are running a shorter barrel it wouldn't hurt to have some extra capacity if you need it but I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Like has been said the LC brass is pretty good especially when sorted and prepped and if you have a source to get it for free even better.

Unless you’re trying to use a really slow for cart powder, I wouldn’t pick brass based on volume.

Anything that I’ve used except lapua will need flash holes debured. MG fired LC needs to be SB sized before first firing. Some people get away with normal fl sizing, but I wouldn’t count on it.

If you’re going to take care of it, lapua is a good choice.

Reactions: XLR308
Unless you’re trying to use a really slow for cart powder, I wouldn’t pick brass based on volume.

Anything that I’ve used except lapua will need flash holes debured. MG fired LC needs to be SB sized before first firing. Some people get away with normal fl sizing, but I wouldn’t count on it.

If you’re going to take care of it, lapua is a good choice.

Okay! Thanks for your help

I second hornady match once fired brass.
Only one problem with Hornady once fired brass. Over the years it has varied dramatically in weight.

If you buy from a vendor, you never know what you are going to get. I've gotten batches that were all in the 155 grain to 158 grain range, and others that weighed 175+ grains.