• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What is on your bookshelf?

Re: What is on your bookshelf?

Ted White and Blue. Kill it and Grill It. Marine Sniper. Hogs in the Shadow. and some other long range shooting books.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost Bullet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The autobiography of the most lethal sniper in the United States Military history, By: Chris Kyle </div></div>

Just read it. Great book.

Reading "Act of Valor" now, looks promising.

Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper

Good book

2nd for The Ultimate Sniper - Updated And Expanded by: John Plaster

Gun parts, and tax forms !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kope</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost Bullet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The autobiography of the most lethal sniper in the United States Military history, By: Chris Kyle </div></div>Just read it. Great book.</div></div>There's precious little about sniping in it.

As a reference, try Mike Lau's book. Dated, but solid.

As a read, try Trigger Men.

Mike Lau's book is good, I have it...still need Hogstooth to autograph it lol.

Some of the other books that are pretty good are:

Trigger Men
Hogs in the Shadows
Hunters: US Snipers in the War on Terror
Out of Nowhere - This is a really good reference for WWI and WWII rifles and training on both sides. It goes into some more modern stuff too.
Stalkers and Shooters
FM 23-10 - Oldie but goldie

A few on the shelf;

Nonfiction;
Sniper one, Dan Mills
Sniper, Gina Cavallaro w/ Matt Larson
The last wolf, Cox
Marine sniper, Charles Henderson
Sniper, Adrin Gilbert
Dead center, Ed Kugler
Hogs in the shadows, Mil Afong
A rifleman went to war, Herbert Mcbride
Cold zero, Christopher Whitcomb
The one round war, Peter Senich
Sniper on the eastern front, Albrecht Wacker
Silent warrior, Charles Henderson

Fiction;
Kill Zone, Jack Caughlin
The silent men, Richard Dickinson
Steven Hunter series

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost Bullet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shooting

By: Bryan Litz
</div></div>

This is a good one.

I read all Caughlin and I'm working my way through the Bob Lee Swagger (by Hunter) series...in fact I might pour a measure of bourbon and turn a few pages now.

Also, just bumping this to the top so I can find it again and perhaps Amazon some of the above suggestions.

All of Hatcher's book except "The Book of the Garand" but its on the way.

Most of Peter Simach's books, Plasters, The two Russian sniper books, Litz, book. McBride's Rifleman went to war.

The best, without a doubt in Captain Edward Crossman's "Military and Sporting Rifle Shooting" , A couple of Whelen's books.

Plus tons of others, "Out of Nowhere", 93 Confirmed kills, plus most of the books on the current engagements, Trigger Men, American Sniper, etc.

I like the older books, the newer ones seem to be more DM then snipers.

I also have a few on criminal sniping, "They Shoot to Kill" the psy of the criminal sniper. That one is one of my major textbooks for teaching LE Counter-Snipers.

I'd have to get up to get a complete list, but I haven't had enough of my morning coffee yet.

Don't forget Warren Page, the Accurate Rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my book shelf is covered with ammo cans full of ammo. </div></div>

You must have a VERY heavy duty shelf...

Just finished Amercan Sniper, thought it was a good read. Its the first book I've bought and read in alot of years.
Eric

Re-reading "Jack Hinson's One Man War" Subtitled: A civil War Sniper.
by Tom C McKenny, USMC Ret.
Hinson was a resident of the Land Between the Rivers (now land between the lakes) in Western TN, not far from Clarksville. I remembered that when on some jumps at Ft Campbell, KY, we flew over those lakes.
HInson felt the war would be fought around him, and that he could hold himself aloof.
He changed that attitude when his two sons were murdered by Union soldiers in spite of protestations of innocence.
He had a special long range rifle made (it has been recovered, and is privately owned, the author was able to hold it) and single handedly took the Union to school. His long distance shots onto shipping from a bluff high above the river was all documented by the Union forces he struck. He also scouted for Nathan Bedord Forrest.
In the end, he killed a number of Union officer, and had 38 marks on his rifle. On one occasion, he killed a number of officers on a river boat that was shipping Union infantry. After he bloodied the decks, the captain halted the boat, and ran up the white flag in surrender. He could not know it, but he had surrendered an entire gun boat full of troops to one old man. After waiting for Confederate troops to come out of the woods, and having nothing happen, the boat moved on, and Hinson held his fire.
He refused to enlist in the Confederate Army, preferring to live alone in the woods, and conduct his war on a personal basis. He was never taken.
Incredible book full of deep research, and reconstruction. I recommend it.

Out Of Nowhere
Sniper
#1-THE ULTIMATE SNIPER
The Complete Book Of US Sniping
Sniper-Peter Brookesmith
One Shot-One Kill
13 Cent Killers
Inside the Crosshairs- Snipers In Vietnam
Sniper On the Eastern Front
Notes Of a Sniper
Silent Men
Stalkers and Shooters
Sniper-Adrian Gilbert
White Star
Snipers Moon
Silent Warriors

and thats just a few.

I have a lot of books.

About four reloading manuals
5 or 6 other general reloading books
4 or 5 bibles
Applied Ballistic for long range marksmanship
Leadership and training for the fight
A few John Maxwell books that I got from work
Guidebook for Marine NCO's
Fundamentals of Marine corps Leadership
About five of these coffee table books the give the history of a particular firearms manufacture
The Art of war
A couple weight lifting books
Looking for a super old Encyclopedia set the older the better
The Complete works of Edgar Allen Poe
The complete works of William Shakespeare
All the Greek Tragedies

A bunch more I cant think off, especially a lot of stuff for school. All the reading I do nowadays other than my reloading manuals is stuff for school and reading service manuals for the server I repair. Cant wait to read for simple enjoyment again.

Although not directly relating to sniping...

Guerrilla Gunsmithing, Quick and dirty methods for fixing firearms in desperate times.

Gunsmithing With Simple Hand Tools.