• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is Orange Tip 7.62 ?

Re: What is Orange Tip 7.62 ?

Orange is long range tracer, Red is short range and for over head fire, as well.
Black is AP
Silver is API
Green w/a white band is Frag.
Yellow tip is Duplex

blue tip = incendiary
smile.gif

ps. be surprised if they still work real good.

I ended up with a crap load of them when I bought some 7.62mm military ball back in the early 90's. Never shot a single one.
What's the life expectancy on these?

If stored correctly (no extreme temperatures or humidity), should be good for decades. If you can shoot them at your range at night-time, you will see very quickly if they are still good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledillers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't firing tracer through a precision gun reek havoc on the barrel</div></div> clearly

Unless you have modified the base fuse shooting tracers do nothing to the barrel. Even if you modify it to light in the barrel it will take alot to harm the barrel.

I'm still shooting 06 stuff that was made in the 40's, 50's, an 60's, everything works just fine.

It takes a lot of tracer fire to to speed up the wear of your barrel. If you keep themn for specific tasks: signaling, target ID(as a LT I kept a full mag to ID where I wanted fire to be placed) Just general fun.

Just clean as you would after a heavy day of shooting for good measure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you have modified the base fuse shooting tracers do nothing to the barrel. Even if you modify it to light in the barrel it will take alot to harm the barrel.

I'm still shooting 06 stuff that was made in the 40's, 50's, an 60's, everything works just fine.

</div></div>

Big +1 on what Gunfighter said re: tracers not damaging your barrel and shooting "aging" tracer rounds. While I don't know WHY you'd want to shoot tracers from your precision rifle...it won't hurt it. As for "old" tracers...I have no problem with .30-06 tracers (up to 50+yo) and 308 tracers (up to 40+yo) igniting and burning just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M25BeastShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(as a LT I kept a full mag to ID where I wanted fire to be placed)
</div></div>

Our LT carried a grease gun just for that task, no beltgun shifted fire until a stream of 45acp's went flying. Even in bright daylight the 45 tracer can almost be seen by a blind man. Throw in a few incendiary for more on target mo-joe and the M79's went to work. At dark thirty add a Battle Star cluster to the mix, ain't no 4th of July fireworks like it. Throw in some CCR, J. Cash singing Ira Hays or Stones and everything was right on planet earth.

Man, that was a long time ago.