• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what is proccess after pulling bullets ?

jwr1076

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2009
alabama
i have a bunch of factory 30-06 ammo i was thinking about pulling bullets and reusing powder and cases then just replacing bullets with some hornady's. but i am not sure how to go about it do i need to resize?

Re: what is proccess after pulling bullets ?

The advice I'm about to give is assuming that the ammo is all the same load/lot of ammo.

Pull the bullets, weigh 25 of the charges to get an accurate average of what the load is.

Weigh the bullets to see what they are

Match bullet style and weight with your Hornday replacements.

Load in the average charge and shoot 'em.

I did this with about a case and a half of Turk 8mm Mauser ammo. The ammo was corrosive and I swapped the powder and bullets into non-corrosive cases. It actually shot reasonably well, 2-2.5" @ 100y, considering the ammo used to shoot 4" previously I was impressed.

This is the same stuff that in the course of pulling that many bullets my dad ran across several grass seeds in the powder charges. They'd been in there for some time, the only explanation we've ever heard that makes (surprisingly) good sense is "Floor Sweepings"

I took some Rem factory 125gr 'Managed Recoil' .30-'06 loads, pulled them using an inertial puller, replaced them with my standard Garand bullet/powder load and simply seated the new bullets into the cases with no further processing.

Loaded them into enblocs and used 'em with no incidents.

Did this deliberately to see if 'simpler worked'. It did.

I also replaced the powder load with the Garand powder load, reseated the original 125gr bullets and tried them in my bolt gun. Shot rather well, and the recoil was pretty nice, too. I figured the 125gr PSP Core-Lokt would perform as advertised, but do it a bit further downrange than the 'managed' load. And be advised, the 125gr PSP Core-Lokt will definitely anchor a deer.

Greg

i have recovered a couple of 150grain core locked bullets and they only weighed around 65 grains .i almost lost a nice deer and i think weight retention might have been the cause 70yard shot and no exit wound

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">You ask for help, then when I give it to you, you quibble with the answer. I'll remember you, Pal.</span>

I apologize, this is not an appropriate answer.

Here's a more appropriate answer.

Most hunters I know would have little to complain about after managing to take a deer at 70yd with a .30-'06 and a 150gr Core-Lokt. All I can suggest is that the bullet should be more than adequate with good shot placement. I won't comment further on that.

What I will comment on is to reiterate something I've stressed here many times before.

It is my conclusion, after a lot of experimentation, that attempting to improve upon factory hunting loads is an exercise in hubris and futility.

Factories make their bread and butter on their hunting ammo. They have resources and facilities we can only dream of getting to have and use, and they are astute enough to realize that if they don't do a good job with developing their products, their competitors will pick their bones clean.

Looking at all their many flavored offerings, I'd be hard put to come up with an application they not only cover, but also cover a helluva lot better than any individual handloader can come up with.

But folks try anyway. They have my best wishes, and perhaps, in some cases, my sympathy as well.

I'll save my handloading energies and resources for match shooting, and continue to harvest my deer with factory loads.

I dont believe in trying to reinvent the wheel.

Greg

was not trying to be a jerk . just had a bad exspirience with the core locked bullet went in through lungs and into shoulder this deer did not bleed one drop i found the the when it tried to get up in heavy brush even as i dragged the deer into the back of my truck no blood i dont see 10 point 200lb deer everyday just trying to keep it from happening again sorry i did not mean anything by my other post

Cool.

I <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> being a jerk, but decided nobody needed that kind of crap coming from the likes of me.

Perhaps it would have been more polite of me to inquire as to your purpose for substituting bullets.

Greg