• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What is the best best powder for 338 lapua 300 gr?

charliev

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2009
Looking for the best powder for the 338 lapua 300gr smk out of a 28 inch barrel with brake. Looking for a starting point. with 1/9 twist

Re: What is the best best powder for 338 lapua 300 gr?

I know RayDog uses Retumbo and that's what I plan to run too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: big c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for the best powder for the 338 lapua 300gr smk out of a 28 inch barrel with brake. Looking for a starting point. with 1/9 twist </div></div>

There is no best of anything, in shooting.

This being said, you'll try what you can get your hands on.

Like the guys above said, Retumbo and RL-25 are good, but hard to come by in smaller, local quantities.

H-1000, VV-170, VV-N560 and VV-N570 (good luck). Maybe the Winchester 590 (?), AA-Magnum grade and Tac-Magnum.

Look for any of the slowest brands of powder you can find.

PS: Raydog shoots (shot) a 1:12" twisted Sako and I think that he likes(liked) RL-25 with his 250s, he not shooting the 300s much.

Chris

Don't know about "best".

I have a similar setup, 1:9.3, 28" Krieger with badger break on Surgeon action.

I've been using 78.0 of H4350 behind the 300SMK. Read somewhere on the hide that was Sierra's accuracy load for that bullet. Sure does well in mine. Maybe a little slow at 2645 ft/sec, but that's still supersonic at 1400-1600 depending on DA (if I remember right), and good for the range I currently have available.

I tried Retumbo at a couple of charge weights, not what you'd consider a real load development test. I found the recoil impulse really sharp with Retumbo. I like the feel of the 4350 better.

The folks I bought the rifle from said H1000 and Retumbo work best and when I get around to it I'll work up tests with all 3 powders but for now I'm satisfied with the H4350.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS: Raydog shoots (shot) a 1:12" twisted Sako and I think that he likes(liked) RL-25 with his 250s, he not shooting the 300s much.

Chris </div></div>

What I meant to say is the night I helped him load he grabbed the Retumbo but I do believe he said the RL-25 was good too, I just couldn't remember. I think he said he has a 1:9 en route IIRC. I have a 1:10 so I plan to run 300s so it will change things slightly.

I would certainly recommend N560 and H4831.

Both have a shown great accuracy and consistant velocity in a wide temperature range.

Mike

RL-25 for me.

Big C,
With a SMK 300 gr. Try H1000. 88gr as a starting point. Very accurate in mine.
Guther

I'm not sure about the standard chambering but in the ackley improved version US869 gets the best FPS and is one of the more popular powders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: big c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for the best powder for the 338 lapua 300gr smk out of a 28 inch barrel with brake. Looking for a starting point. with 1/9 twist </div></div>

First off-please fill out your profile. Next try CLICKING THIS and searching abit. A lot of us shoot 338LM and get good results will MANY powders.

Since we don't know where you are located its tough to know WHAT powders are easy for you to obtain. Alliant RL-22,RL-25
VV-N560 VV- N165 and N170,VV 24N41 Hodgdon H1000, Retumbo US869 etc etc etc.

What is your loading experience? Do you reload? and for what caliber. Are you an experienced shooter? What is your intentions with your stick? Hunting, ELR shooting? How much range do you have to work with?

There is alot of help available to you-but please-try and search this site. This question is probably asked about every other day-And I've been here around 5 YEARS.

Without busting balls any further. I'll give you a load that has been a good start in 4 different 338LM's that I have owned. LAPUA case, Fed215 primer, 300 Sierra Match King and 87grains of RL25. You should get about 2750fps and good accuracy with that amount of twist. Work up accordingly.

Rant off.
sleep.gif

I use Retumbo exclusively and have found it to be very consistent and produce excellent accuracy results. I have tried vv n560 for the 250's but found Retumbo to be more consistent and produces much better velocities.

i know this is an old post, but it is helpful for the guy that is still looking for information and knowledge from someone with experience. Thanks for the info guys.

Retumbo

Running H1000 in mine...

Alot of people really like Retumbo and H1000 because of its temp stability but IMO pick and stick with the one the works best.