• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the best Cleaning Rod out there?

TacBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Wyoming
I would like to end the dilema of deciding on a Cleaning Rod? What is the best out there?

Dewey?
BoreTech?
Montana Xtreme?

What are some other brands out there?

Re: What is the best Cleaning Rod out there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive used Dewey and Boretech.. I give the edge to Boretech, their entire cleaning product line is top notch.</div></div>

+1

The bearings and the rod coating is better on the Boretech rods.

I love my Bore Tech rod. The bearings are oh sooooo smooth.
smile.gif

I have always used tipton carbon fiber rods and brass jags, and have really liked them.

Tipton for me. I don't know if it's the best as I've certainly not used every brand out there, but it's by far the best I've used.

I previously had a Dewey and I felt like it was a total waste of money. I bought it from a local shop after they talked me into it. It wasn't long before the coating started peeling off. Then, I tried to use it to clean a muzzle loader, and I do agree it was abuse on my part, but it got bent.

I replaced it with a Tipton which has no coating to peel off, and I've put it through way more abuse than the Dewey ever went through and it's still straight. Actually it can't be bent. It will either take it's original shape back, or be broken. It can't bend like the Dewey. I also think the handle is much better on the Tipton, but I guess that's a personal preference. I didn't like the Dewey, but didn't realize how much it sucked until I got the Tipton.

That said, if I ever buy another cleaning rod it will without a doubt be another Tipton. I just don't have a single bad thing to say about this rod. I absolutely love it.

Another satisfied Tipton fan. I have three and wont waste my money on any other brand.

All three of those are crap compared to an all stainless Ivy rod. Try them and you will never go back. Custom made to your specs in thickness, length and anything else you want. It is the way to go.

Good luck

its all mox nix ....soak the barrel with a chamber plug and push a patch thru.........priceless!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its all mox nix ....soak the barrel with a chamber plug and push a patch thru.........priceless!! </div></div>

still using top engine cleaner?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its all mox nix ....soak the barrel with a chamber plug and push a patch thru.........priceless!! </div></div>

still using top engine cleaner?</div></div>

hell yeah.....kills cockroaches too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bth87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always used tipton carbon fiber rods and brass jags, and have really liked them. </div></div>
+1
I have been using my Tipton for the last 7 years and I recently broke the rod where it goes into the handle. It was my fault, because I would let it drop to the floor a little too hard. I put the rod back in the pocket, cross drilled a hole through it and JB welded it, it is back to normal. It looks like this thing will be good for another 7 years.
SScott

I use a couple of coated Dewey rods on my AR's, M1's, & FAL's and have been very satisfied. I recently purchased a factory AI cleaning kit (pic below) for my AE - which has a parker hale cleaning rod, bore guide, & jag which seems to work extremely well also. I believe it's carbon fiber.

cleaning_kit_thumb.jpg

AvsFan
cool.gif

I use Dewey or Tipton. I have been liking the Tipton rods as they won't bend permenantly if accidently bent when out of the rifle. I also like the larger handle.

I like the feel of the Tipton over the Dewey.

Nothing but Dewey for me.

Tipton 4 sure. Used nylon coated Deweys 4 years. At some point, I would inadvertently drop it on the ground and grains of sand would permanently embed into the nylon coat and render the rod useless. With the Tipton nothing clings or embeds 2 it.

I use a Dewey, but any of them are okay. Just look for a coated cleaning rod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tipton 4 sure. Used nylon coated Deweys 4 years. At some point, I would inadvertently drop it on the ground and grains of sand would permanently embed into the nylon coat and render the rod useless. With the Tipton nothing clings or embeds 2 it. </div></div>

Interesting, never thought of that. Glad I use Tipton. I just wish they made a 2 rod holder like Dewey. I had to make my own out of polycarbonate tube. It works but it's not as nice looking as the Dewey holder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teufelhunden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dewey rods w/ Lucas bore guides
</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teufelhunden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dewey rods w/ Lucas bore guides
</div></div>
+2

Dewey.

My tipton carbon fiber rod was a piece of shit.

First outing I snapped that bitch off at the handle.

It was *REALLY* fun trying to remove a stuck carbon fiber rod from my barrel. I still have carbon fiber slivers in my fingers.

Where can I purchase a Lucas bore guide?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to end the dilema of deciding on a Cleaning Rod? What is the best out there?

Dewey?
BoreTech?
Montana Xtreme?

What are some other brands out there? </div></div>

Moly.

Then break the rods in your larder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All three of those are crap compared to an all stainless Ivy rod. Try them and you will never go back. Custom made to your specs in thickness, length and anything else you want. It is the way to go.

Good luck </div></div>

Why would you want a cleaning rod that is as hard as the barrel material? It is bore damage waiting to happen. Kind of defeats the point doesnt it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bb24fu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can I purchase a Lucas bore guide? </div></div>
Order from:
Mike Lucas
phone: (803) 356-0282 (Tues., Wed., and Thurs., 9:00 am to 5:00 pm EST.)
Please use E-mail if possible.

225 Browns River Road
Lexington, SC 29072
email: [email protected]

Email Orders Accepted

I keep a Dewey in my case and a bore snake in my stock pack.

Tape muzzles and whistle moly and rejoice in consistent CBS,unwavering POA/POI and exceptionally long strings before a light cleaning is mandated due to accuracy waning.

Foul at the same time and repeat. No thing to gun 1500rds+ in a 308,between mandates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon05_88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bore Snake for an occasional pull through for dirt/grit. Tipton for cleaning. </div></div>

+1

I keep a 40+" Tipton in my case just in case I made a squib and need to knock it out but it usually just gets used for cleaning when I get back from the range. The only issue I've had with mine was the brass tip wasn't quite flush with the carbon fiber shaft so I carefully filed it down so that it wouldn't catch when drawing it back through. Muzzle brakes make good crown protectors.

I also have a bore snake for every rifle and shotgun I own and keep them with their firearms. I usually pull it through every 50 rounds at the range just to keep it from getting too dirty.