• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the best Laser Rangefinder for the money?

Re: What is the best Laser Rangefinder for the money?

The Swaro LRF and...?

I know there are some expensive civy available models and whatever the military uses, but I don't know what they are.

I bought a Leica 1200 Scan model bout 4 yrs back. I might have been expecting too much but I have never been satisfied with it. Don't like the sighting system. I didn't feel that asking it to range a deer at 600yds was too much to ask of a 1200yd rangefinder.

Swarovski. Had a Leica 1200. It was ok but the Swarovski is much better. Could never range to 1200 with the Leica but the Swarovski goes out to 1600+

Where Laser Range Finder's are concerned, it boils down to laser strength, beam dispersion and target reflectivness. The swaro has the LRF900 & CRF1200 Liecas beat hands down in strength and dispersion. I've ranged a flock of Turkey at 600 yards with my LRF900 but cell towers at over 1200 yards with my swaro. My LRF900 does good to hit large targets and give a reading at 700 while a friends CRF1200 hits and reads deer at 1000 yards.

The view finder and displayed info within is my only complaint with the swaro, the Liecas rule in this area.

Swarovsk well worth the money. ive range bigger things out to 1900 yards. It did a C130 moving at about 1825. which i was shocked it made it.

Ive ranged a deer at 1200 ish but it could have ranged off the hill side.

I agree with the above. I currently have a Leica LRF1200. It's good but the Swarovski Laser Guide is better. It rages quicker and more accurately at some amazing distances. I ranged a levy wall at 1600+ at night. I never had a problem with the Swaro's display, but I do like the Leica display better.

A used LRF1200 is tops in the "value" department since you can pick them up for around $400 on eBay (i watched several before I nabbed mine). The Swaro is the tits if you have the cash, but it's definitely not a "budget" item.

I WILL have a Swarovski some day, but I have two more rifles to finish before then. If I had a .338LM then the Swaro would be mandatory. As it is the Leica can range anything I can realibly engage with my .308.

Camera Land sells Swarovski demos from time to time. They have some in stock now for $780

Camera Land Swaro

There is a similar discussion going on here.

My vote is for the Swarovski.

I have both the Leica and Swaro and the Swaro is the best of the two. I can range out to 1800+ but thats at manmade targets like buildings, fences, etc. I go out in the desert and set up steel and paper targets and the best I can get is 1100yds or so. The targets are set up against a very light colored berm and I'm sure that contributes to the shorter readings. I have ranged trees at 1600+ but thats in town, no trees in the desert. I would be interested in any feedback with the Newcon 2500 rangefinders if these could get readings on non-reflective targets 1500-2000yds.

Re: What is the best Laser Rangefinder for the mon

Has anyone tried the Zeiss Victory RFs?

I have the Leica CRF 1200, it's OK but I like my friends Swaro much better. At this point I'd rather spend on ammo than a new LRF.

One more for the Swarovski here. The optics are brighter. Not cheap, neither is the Leica, but it is good. You usually get what you pay for.

Like pinzmann, the best I can get out in flatland with scrub or sagebrush is 1100-1200. With structure and semi-reflective surfaces, you can get over 1800. In rocky areas, I have registered 1500, but didn't have a need to try further.

Nice build quality too. I have EL binos, and they are great as well.

I will say this though about the swaro.

The reticle sucks and it's slow.

When I say the reticle sucks I mean you have to have your eye lined up perfectly or the reticle looks faded, or partial.

and the problem with it being slow is that means you have to hold it on target longer before you get the range, so for longer distances you will need somehting solid to lean against or a tripod/monopod to mount it on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Camera Land sells Swarovski demos from time to time. They have some in stock now for $780

Camera Land Swaro </div></div>

Thanks for the link!

Cameraland is great to deal with too...Super good people

Everyone always asks "for the money" or "lower price range", any detuned mil kit out there for under $3500? I've heard of another company, can't remember the name, but have never seen a price or found retail outlet -- seems you order direct. And how do the Zeiss ranging binos stack up against the Swaros and Leicas?

definately nice being issued viper's, though they are heavy as hell

Got a swaro laser guide coming from cameraland now, hanging out for that!
My bushnell 1500 ARC shit itself so it's basically now a $300 paper weight.

"1500" = 1000
"600" = 400..

You get what you pay for. "good thing no cheap, cheap thing no good".
I figured, why keep replacing the most important things?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want the best? Here you go.

http://www.riegl.com/products/rangefinders/ </div></div>

How about some pricing info and where to buy?

Where can you find the prices? All the info I find on them is sales brochures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where Laser Range Finder's are concerned, it boils down to laser strength, beam dispersion and target reflectivness. </div></div>
And one more: wavelength. Laser energy is absorbed by the atmosphere and the energy loss depends on the LRF wavelength.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone always asks "for the money" or "lower price range", any detuned mil kit out there for under $3500? I've heard of another company, can't remember the name, but have never seen a price or found retail outlet -- seems you order direct. And how do the Zeiss ranging binos stack up against the Swaros and Leicas? </div></div>
Vectronix PLRF-10 for about $3500. Spec'd to 2500m.

Hi,

I have Newcon LRB 4000 CI that should range up to 4000m, but I was not able to range anything over 1200 m. After 4 months it was completly down. Three month later (that is today) I have got it "fixed". Now I can range up to 100 m (one hundred meters!). I got really pissed of. It may be an ocasional mistake of the NEWCON, but on the other hand it shows problems with quality control. I requested to get a brand new unit. I will keep you informed about the progress.

Regards.

Jurek

Oh for God's sake another "what is the best LRF" thread....

Leica 1200 is a good laser for the bucks. Consitant ranging capability to approx 800m, sometimes out to 1000m.

Swarovski seems to range farther 1000-1200m and on less reflective objects than the Leica - huge reticle really sucks...

If you want a real laser rangefinder, you will need to step up to the Vectronix PLRF. 3000m in 95% of conditions. Just over $1.00 per meter - and WORTH IT!

Mike

I have the Leupold RXIV wish I had put the money up. Also just buy a range finder ie compass, true ballistic range. Maybe if Leupold hadn’t wasted the time with all that crap it would actually range out to 1500 yards. Don’t do what I did buy a range finder not a poor mans binocular/ballistic calculator.

Zeiss Victory LRF:
This is what I bought to save some $$ over the Swaro. Zeiss is bright, good optics, good smaller reticle (compared to Swaro), and fast. Out to 1000 yds has been no problem for me. Sitting side-by-side with Geovid users, I range the same readings.
I'm not saying the Zeiss is better than the Swaro (I love Swaro stuff), simply a price/performance tradeoff. For once, I think Zeiss has a pretty good value for the $$ in their LRF.
That being said, for some of the matches (steel scattered among terrain features), I still think a set of 10x Geovids or similar are in my future. I just didn't want to take that step initially.

We had my Ziess RF's out against a buddies Leica Geovids recently. The Ziess were able to get good reads back a lot further than the Leica. Ever since then, Tim, the buddy with the Leica's, has noted it would be ever so nice of me to give him my RF's for a Christmas gift, and he would rather not wait until Christmas.

Furthest reflection was 2200+ yards from a metal building. Pretty reliable to 1000 yards on most everything else, unless the conditions are wet or foggy. I have noticed that battery strength is a factor, if it gets weak, you have to take a couple of tries to get it.

Also, it shows up MIGHTY bright on a set of PVS14's. Much brighter than my old 600 yard Nikon RF.

Reactions: Lumbeejake

I was at Cabelas today and saw the Swarovski 8x30 in the bargain cave for $778 and figured for that price I would give it a try since my bushnell 1500 seems to only work when it want to. Took it out to the bean field where we have targets set up and saw a coyote sticking out like a sore thumb in the snow.Ranged it with the Swarovski with hardly any pause at 578 yds. Ranged the neighbors feed truck at 1485 yds. The clarity also seems alot better . I am very happy with the purchase.