• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the best precision/tactical sniper rifle i can buy for 4k or less?

dbradley91

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2019
I am looking hard at some alamo precision options. My Budget is 4k for the rifle. (300 win mag or 338 lapua only) I have a seperate budget for scope. I want a bolt action, maybe a curtis action, i prefer the more traditional style stocks like a McMillan A5. I do want the adjustable cheek piece as well as a fluted bolt and barrel. The fluting isnt madatory, i just think it would be nice. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: ADV1
I am looking hard at some alamo precision options. My Budget is 4k for the rifle. I have a seperate budget for scope. I want a bolt action, maybe a curtis action, i prefer the more traditional style stocks like a McMillan A5. I do want the adjustable cheek piece as well as a fluted bolt and barrel. The fluting isnt madatory, i just think it would be nice. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Build a custom. You have plenty of budget. Use the search function and do some research on what you might want or need. This is a question that gets asked almost daily.

Reactions: AverageGrunt
I would look at a used GAP. I found one for less than $3k that only has 120 rounds through it.

Should be able to build a dam good custom rifle with that budget.

For a more traditional type stock, I froth the Manners PRS1 pretty hard with a barricade mini chassis.

So many actions out there with many different features. Need to figure out for yourself what you need it to do for you.

You should be able to get nearly anything you want with that budget. If it were me:

MPA Chassis Hybrid with weight kit or Comp with weight kit.
TL3 Action DLC
PVA Barrel
Trigger Tech Diamond
Josh over at Patriot Vally Arms should beable to hook you up and all of his riles are lasers.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/

That would be a nice one .

If you like the traditional stock sub the mpa with a McMillan or manners and your set.

Why not talk to LongRiflesInc and have a beautiful gun with minimal turnaround exactly as you want? Or get an AI AT?

Reactions: MarinePMI
For shear features you can not beat an MPA Chassis.
Action, Bighorn or Impact (Bighorn for compatibility)
Barrel, Bartlein
Where to get it put together?

No question - Atlus Shooting Solutions - (Formerly Core Shooting) in Baker Florida

They were fantastic to work with. I called Atlus, and they met all of my requirements.

Price List:

Action: $1300
Chassis: $1100
Barrels: $750
Trigger: $250

Total: $3400

Reactions: Rondogg
I am looking hard at some alamo precision options. My Budget is 4k for the rifle. (300 win mag or 338 lapua only) I have a seperate budget for scope. I want a bolt action, maybe a curtis action, i prefer the more traditional style stocks like a McMillan A5. I do want the adjustable cheek piece as well as a fluted bolt and barrel. The fluting isnt madatory, i just think it would be nice. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I went through this math problem too. Then I bought the AI AT and never looked back.

Any particular reason for the caliber selection of 300wm or 338lm ?
If you dont foresee shooting regularly beyond 1200 yards or need the energy they provide there are many other great choices that fit in a short action and perform very well to 1200 yards and even further conditions willing.
They also are more pleasant to shoot for extended sessions without the associated weight, muzzle blast and expense that accumulates over time.

Alamo Precision built my 338 Lapua recently and did a phenomenal job! If you look on their IG they have mine and another one they just recently finished that's very similar. Mine complete with a Defiance Action, Grayboe Ridgeback, Triggertech Diamond, K&P Barrel, Area 419 Sidewinder Brake came in VERY close to your budget... depending on options I'd say them fellas can get you very close to your dream set up

Reactions: dbradley91
I would ALMOST be willing to bet if you’re on Snipers Hide asking what kind of rifle
you need to get...... you have no real world need for a 338LM.

last time i checked, i didnt require a need to buy something. I have a barrett 50 that i didnt "need", but i have it because i wanted it.

Any particular reason for the caliber selection of 300wm or 338lm ?
If you dont foresee shooting regularly beyond 1200 yards or need the energy they provide there are many other great choices that fit in a short action and perform very well to 1200 yards and even further conditions willing.
They also are more pleasant to shoot for extended sessions without the associated weight, muzzle blast and expense that accumulates over time.

Bc those are the calibers i want.

and an AI AT in 300 win mag is proving to be hard to find. I have come across a few on here, but no one is willing to come to an agreement on price. I thought i may have had a deal worked out with brian johnson, but he did not want to sell the scope with it.

If you already have a 50 I’d look into a custom mid range rifle. A 6.5 or 7mm of sorts. High BC’s and a ton of options for actions and builders. If I could do it all over again I’d go with a Bighorn action so barrels from PVA can be shipped to me and changed on my bench. Make it a switch barrel rifle that always has the same ergonomics. I know this isn’t what you’re looking for, but just a bit of advice.

Reactions: dbradley91
and an AI AT in 300 win mag is proving to be hard to find. I have come across a few on here, but no one is willing to come to an agreement on price. I thought i may have had a deal worked out with brian johnson, but he did not want to sell the scope with it.
I would imagine an AI-AT in 300WM is extremely hard to find....

last time i checked, i didnt require a need to buy something. I have a barrett 50 that i didnt "need", but i have it because i wanted it.

Typically, the “how badass a 338 Lapua can I get for $4k? “ type questions come from someone new to the sport that might be a bit misguided on what the realistic equipment needs are. Lots of times these folks benefit from some advice to start with something smaller and learn the fundamentals without forming bad habits.

Since you have a Barrett 50, it’s become obvious that I have misjudged your experience level. I hope you’ll accept my apologies for jumping to conclusions.

You’ve seen a few 300 wm AT’s on here you say?

i have seen a few of the 6.5 prc rifles, but have not seen any of that ammo at my local stores. i buy a majority of my ammo online, but i do like the thought of being able to grab some last minute at the store if i need to. im also just partial to the 300winmag to be honest. I already have one that shoots well but it is a factory gun. I am wanting something custom. And yes, i am very very new to long range shooting, but with that being said, i do want to start learning with a better than average set up.

so far ive been thinking about:

mcmillan a5 style stock
curtis axiom/vector action
bartlein barrel (preferably fluted for aesthetics)
jewell trigger/triggertech
some sort of surpressor ready brake
badger ordinance bottom metal
20 moa rail
chambered in preferrably 300 win mag

i really like the thought of an AI but those are out of my 4k price range. or the ones i have seen are.

Single feed?....

R
i guess its a single feed. ive never been on a forum before. there may be millions of them and i am just not finding the. i just looked on the buy sell and trade tab google gave me.

They’re all trying to say if you’re new to the sport you’d be better off not jumping straight to magnum, just not saying it directly.

Reactions: Diablo4130
They’re all trying to say if you’re new to the sport you’d be better off not jumping straight to magnum, just not saying it directly.

well, thats what im looking for. if i find something, i will post it up for you guys.

well.... i went with the custom build

Attachments

• 20190123_124928.jpg
    20190123_124928.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: Luvman
^^^Good on you, enjoy. Let us know when it lands, photos required.

Please tell us exactly where you saw a AI AT in .300 WM for sale. You claim to have found a "few" for sale on here. Care to post a link to the for-sale posts?
look up brian Johnson. its still for sale last i checked

MPA has plenty of offerings, guaranteeing 1/2" moa