• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What is the best scope for $600.00 and under? Help

glockophile

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Underground bunker! Indiana
I am putting together a new rifle and it has come down to the scope. Considering times are tough and the holidays are around the corner what is the best piece of glass I could purchase for $600.00 or less. Heres the criteria.......

1. Shooting at a distance of 200 yards or less for now.
2. Mostly punching paper
3. Rifle is a NIB Remington 700 Police

Heres what Ive been looking at.......

1.Super Sniper 10x - 42
2.Leupold Mark II 3-9 x 40 Mil Dot
3.Leupold VX III 3.5-10 x 40 (just purchased this one for a hell of a deal, could sent it to Leupold for Mark IV turrets for $130.00)
4. Zeiss Conquest

Please make any suggestions but include why you suggest this or that scope. I would like it to be of sufficient quality to last a while and perform well.

Thanks a lot, Great Forum

Re: What is the best scope for $600.00 and under? Help

The S.S. 3x9 variable is a great scope,too. FFP, mil adjustable turrets, and a lifetime warranty, for right at $600!

SS 3-9x42 for durable quality.
Falcon 4-14 for features.

I have both, the SS 3-9 really stands up well to much more expensive scopes, but it is somewhat limited in features. Sounds like it would handle what you want to do just fine though. Also useful as a hunting scope or on a SPR.

The Falcon matches the features of the higher end scopes better (>10x top end, enhanced reticle, parallax adjustment) but the durability and turrets aren't as good as the SS. It'll be fine as a gun that goes back and forth to the range but I wouldn't bring it to RO unless you also had a backup. It's not something to be rough-housed. I use it on my 22LR trainer because the parallax let's me dial down to under 50yds.

The glass on both is better than necessary and at least as good as the Leupolds. I personally wouldn't buy any you listed above just because they use MOA turrets and Mil reticles. Life is much better if you keep your turrets matched to your reticle.

ETA: I should point out that both scopes are FFP and have 0.1Mrad turrets to match with the Mil based reticles. At 200yds KD range FFP isn't really necessary but the selection of Mrad based SFP scopes with target turrets in that price range is fairly small (can't think of any offhand.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS 3-9x42
keep your turrets matched to your reticle. </div></div>

+1, this matching is a <span style="font-style: italic">huge</span> advantage. I highly recommend SS 3-9x42 FFP mil/mil for your situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS 3-9x42 for durable quality.
</div></div>
Yup.

Though my experience with the Falcon differs somewhat with Ratbert's on the delicateness of the Falcon.
Both great scopes for the money. Than being said, I don't own the 3-9 SS, but I do have the SS 10X HD which is very closely related.

Super Sniper all the way great for a fairly cheap scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS 3-9x42 for durable quality.
</div></div>
Yup.

Though my experience with the Falcon differs somewhat with Ratbert's on the delicateness of the Falcon.
Both great scopes for the money. Than being said, I don't own the 3-9 SS, but I do have the SS 10X HD which is very closely related. </div></div>

I didn't meant to imply it was <span style="font-style: italic">DELICATE</span> but I definately wouldn't treat it the way I treat my USO's or Heritage. The SS, however, looks like it could probably take it. The Falcon is a nice scope, no complaints and I convinced one of my best friends to buy one for his first precision rifle. However the SS 3-9 is noticeably tougher and sporting a better fit and finish. That's due to exceptional quality from the SS (at this price point at least) not because the falcon is crap. Also keep in mind the Falcon is a couple hundred $$ less than the SS 3-9.

IMHO, buying the classic SS 10x (non-HD, with MOA turrets) these days is like buying a Saturn car in Dec 2009. It may be a perfectly good car at a pretty good price, but at some point you'll probably regret you didn't spend your money elsewhere.

A friend USMC sniper just puta Super Sniper 3-9X on AR DMR rifle, he is very pleased.

Watch LowLights video review on the SS.....thats all you need to see

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch LowLights video review on the SS.....thats all you need to see</div></div>

Where's the link to such a video?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bushnell 10x mildot for $179 wholesale will run neck and neck with any super sniper scope. plus you'll have money left over to buy the kiddies presents. </div></div>

I have the Bushnell 10 mildot and it is a good scope. On the other hand I have a Weaver Grand Slam 10x Mildot that is much better IMO. The Weaver does cost more though. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=116205

I'm not trying to pin anything on you Ratbert.
If your experience differs, or not, I would still value it.
That's why we're here right?
I'm just saying if you are doing something at RO to your Falcon that would break it, you probably wouldn't want to be doing that same thing to your expensive S+B, USO, PH, etc.
IMO they are stout enough to stand up to some pretty rigorous use.
I believe all rifle scopes by their nature are somewhat fragile. How often do you see folks setting their rifles down scope down? Just look how they are packed for shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range fire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch LowLights video review on the SS.....thats all you need to see</div></div>

Where's the link to such a video?</div></div>

Lowlight's video review thread

It's also on the home page of this site.

Brady

Another Falcon 4-14x44 user here. Although I haven't subjected it to throwing my rifle/scope on rocks or out of an airplane, it's been good to me. Tracks correctly and offers me the clarity I was looking for in a budget scope. At times it can be picky about sight alignment but only on max mag. I have used the 10X SS & Leupys prior to the Falcon. I feel the SS has a bit more optical clarity than the Falcons, but they are only offered in 3-9 mag. Might not be issue for many, but I prefer something with more mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check this out:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/dark-ops-riflescopes-countersniper-optics-5x25-42mm-doh334.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/dark-ops-riflescopes-countersniper-optics-4x16-tactical-scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/dark-ops-riflescopes-countersniper-optics-4x16-tactical-scope.html </div></div>

huckleberry,

You're not serious are you? The OP is a newbee, and he might not get the joke about CounterSniper Scopes. On the other hand, if you really are recommending CounterSniper Trash, I guess you really don't get the joke.

So which is it, before the OP digs himself a hole, and follows your nonsense??

Inquiring minds want to know........

i say go with the SS. i have the fixed 16x42 and love it!!!! ill shoot at 100 and go out to 5 and 600yds and come back to 100 and its on spot. that was probably the best $320 dollars ive ever spent. it is a solid scope for the price. you might even like the new HD one they have out.

SS or falcon. Falcon will get you a 5-25x option for under 600 bucks. It is also FFP and has matching reticle/turret and side paralax adjustment

I would rather have a 25x then a 9x....

How the the falcon not get any love? Did I miss something? a post perhaps regarding the falcon? I have 2 falcons and love them. Minded, they are on my 22lrs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How the the falcon not get any love? Did I miss something? </div></div>

+1... my Falcon has been good to me....

Do you have the rings and base already? quality rings and bases are not cheap, is that part of your $600. Lots of good replies above, lots of good quality scopes to use. Taken from duckear's post on ring/base options for a Rem 700
Price is approximate and for both base and rings
EGW, aluminium $150
TPS, steel $150
Warne, steel $180
Seekins, aluminium $220
Leupold, steel $250
Nightforce, steel $280
Badger Ordinance, steel $280
LaRue Tactical, steel $299*