• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the best State to practice the LR

Re: What is the best State to practice the LR

Good question. As a general rule, I would have to say the western states present more opportunities for truly long range (1K plus) shooting. East of the Mississippi, most of the land is in private ownership and smaller blocks. Public lands are usually overused to the point that shooting isn't safe.

West of the Mississippi - especially New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana - there are VAST expanses of open public lands that can be accessed by individuals without infringing on anyone else's use. Alaska affords similar opportunities.

Montana, Wyoming and parts of Idaho would get my vote.

Doug Mann

I know a state that is not good.....Kentucky!

If not considering living cost, Alaska has no equal. No permit to carry concealed, nobody freaks outs if you open carry in a business or a black gun down a busy road in town. Guns are the mentality of life in Alaska. A couple good smiths, maybe not as high profile as some in the states but Stan can turn out s very accurate pop gun. If you cannot find 1000 yards to shoot, a kind of way of saying it is you are not trying. Of course, the days of wetting a line in Wasilla Creek till the run goes by, stashing the poles in the rig and ripping the air with gun powder are gone inside the city but its not far away.

North and South Dakota get my vote, although there's not alot else to do out there
smile.gif

Texas.

Open space, world class training facilities, wind, good political climate & good weather year round.

I would think Arizona and Nevada would need to be on the list. Nice people open land, great organized ranges and great smiths in AZ at least.

is "long range shooting" some type of workout I am unaware of?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a state that is not good.....Kentucky!

If not considering living cost, Alaska has no equal. No permit to carry concealed, nobody freaks outs if you open carry in a business or a black gun down a busy road in town. Guns are the mentality of life in Alaska. A couple good smiths, maybe not as high profile as some in the states but Stan can turn out s very accurate pop gun. If you cannot find 1000 yards to shoot, a kind of way of saying it is you are not trying. Of course, the days of wetting a line in Wasilla Creek till the run goes by, stashing the poles in the rig and ripping the air with gun powder are gone inside the city but its not far away. </div></div>

What's wrong with Kentucky for shooting? We have some of the most liberal gun laws that I'm aware of in the country! Now there may be some ordinances in the greater communist metro area of Lexington but that isn't the case in the rest of the state! I will admit that it may be tough to find places to be able to shoot 1000 yards or more but they do exist, especially in some of the strip mined areas of Easter Kentucky!

William Roscoe, Clarks, and Terry Cross are all close to each other and LRA is one of the best ranges I've been to.

So, based on that, I'd say Louisiana?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southern Arizona, aiming due south! </div></div>

LOL.

Presented by author/journalist Roy Beck:
A startling look at how U.S. immigration will add 300 million people to the country this century if policies are not changed. This dramatic presentation of the latest Census data raises serious questions about the ability of the country to achieve environmental sustainability and to meet the quality-of-life infrastructure needs of the national community.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muw22wTePqQ

Learn More http://www.NumbersUSA.org

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Julien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In your opinion, what is the best State of the USA to practice the long range shooting: Best area, gunsmith, mentality, etc.....
Let's go!! </div></div>

Are you moving here? Arizona is a very gun friendly state, so is Texas. We have a big desert out here with some very extreme conditions depending on the seasons. However, you have to be very careful where you are shooting. You can be tribal land, and you definitely won't have a fun or happy day for sure.

montana hands down. once i get back there im never leaving again. i do wanna go to alaska. but i heard its expensive

Idaho, lots of good gun people and companies : gemtech, Nightforce, Chey-Tac, CCI, Eberlestock, seekins, etc.. We have deserts we have mountains we have everything, cheap cost of living, the seasons are not to bad if you live in the snake river valley. Plenty of room to shoot and some good ranges 1600yds+. Arizona would be my 2nd choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a state that is not good.....Kentucky!

If not considering living cost, Alaska has no equal. No permit to carry concealed, nobody freaks outs if you open carry in a business or a black gun down a busy road in town. Guns are the mentality of life in Alaska. A couple good smiths, maybe not as high profile as some in the states but Stan can turn out s very accurate pop gun. If you cannot find 1000 yards to shoot, a kind of way of saying it is you are not trying. Of course, the days of wetting a line in Wasilla Creek till the run goes by, stashing the poles in the rig and ripping the air with gun powder are gone inside the city but its not far away.</div></div>

And Illinois

I like Colorado. Lots of long range enthusiast around and a decent amount of land to shoot on.

Wyoming and Idaho would be second on my list.

Utah sucks ass.....stay away!

You have to drive almost 40 minutes away from our international airport to shoot past 1k on public land. Oh and our state gun is looking like it will be John Browning's 1911.

common utah has several places to shoot over 1k. you need help finding on of the many places. hit me up and i will go with you

Texas... large open areas, friendly laws and alot of nearby shooters

-Rilfes only
-Tiger Valley
-Tac Pro

just to name a few

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300winman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">common utah has several places to shoot over 1k. you need help finding on of the many places. hit me up and i will go with you </div></div>

I was being sarcastic....with the exception of a big boy training venue, Utah rocks for anything long range.

Idaho has plenty of public land that you can shoot 1k+ but not many organized ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Texas.

I know of several people with 1000 yard ranges on private property. I have one as well.

A public 1000 yard range is north of town. </div></div>

There are a lot of places where you will find 1000 yard ranges.

There are not a lot of places where you will find LOTS of 1000 yard ranges.

Utah has a similar geographical advantage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Julien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In your opinion, what is the best State of the USA to practice the long range shooting: Best area, gunsmith, mentality, etc.....
Let's go!!</div></div>

best state is state of mind......you can do all your best LR shooting on the internet.......never a gun that breaks, and plenty of know-it-all-wanna-be's........right here in the interweb net..